View Poll Results: Would you have chosen the 1.0L engine if it were an option?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely! Even better economy and enough power for me.

46 59.74%
  • Hmm... I'd have to compare against the 1.2L.

7 9.09%
  • Only if they turbocharge it!

16 20.78%
  • Not a chance! 1.2L is as low as I will go.

8 10.39%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Poll: 1.0L Mirage engine = 7.5% better fuel economy. Would you choose it?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    You only have to look on my two links, that I postet and you quoted in your last post:

1.0 liter engine: 4,88 l/100 km
    1.2 liter engine: 5,11 l/100 km
    Ah yes. I was using the phone and did not notice the underlined, shortened link.

Your rental of a 1.0L car may be the only solution. You will have to make a serious effort to drive it exactly the same as a 1.2

There is something with the international numbers comparison that bothers me. Pèople buy these cars because they want to save money. That is one reason to drive in a modest fashion. There is at least one another reason. The price of gasoline in many parts of the world is double or triple what it is in the US. Many of these places also have higher income taxes. When you have a greatly reduced take home pay you will tend to respect your cash flow a lot more. That will almost guarantee that you use the gas pedal very carefully and it will be reflected in the fuel consumption numbers.

Another factor may be the composition of the gasoline itself. Blends are going to vary around the world.

It seems the only way to get good statistics is to do the testing in the same place at the same time with the same driver using rally car techniques to keep the timing honest.

There are probably other factors I am missing now.

Now, how can we get fifty of each vehicle for you? I am lost for ideas there...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I drive nearly the same way every day and can tell you the fuel consumption figure before starting the engine in a few weeks - regarding weather conditions and wind .

If the 1.0 liter engine needs 0,2 liter less fuel, I should notice this difference .
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove a VW Vanagon for quite a few years. It was 0 - 60 in about 18 seconds. Even with the smaller engine, the Mirage is a rocket ship by way of comparison. I'd pay extra for the 1.0L.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 42.1 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wouldn't pick 1.0, but I'd pick taller final drive which it comes with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-19-2015)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    All this BSFC BS... I drive a diesel car with instant fuel consumption... the lower the speed the higher the gear the better the fuel economy. same goes for the mirage...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleartec For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (05-21-2016)

That is true when cruising.

The Mirage's speed vs. fuel consumption graphs clearly show that when cruising in top gear, the lower the speed (and therefore the lower the engine RPM) the better your fuel economy.

BSFC can be confusing. It is not saying to CRUISE at a certain RPM. It's saying if you require a given amount of power (EG. accelerating or climbing a steep grade), there are definite RPM ranges that are more efficient than others.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (05-31-2016)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    I would get the 1.0 L in a heartbeat!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Just for the record, my 1.0L MT shows a "B"-average consumption of 4.3L/100km.
    The "B" average has never been reset, the car has about 40 000 on it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd have to test drive it onto a highway on ramp. I have driven cars with slow 0-60, but there is a fine line between okay and actually annoyingly slow hahaha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm driving a 1.0 L Metro now, so a 1.0L with a few options would be a nice upgrade.