Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dealer forgot to install engine air filter... 6 months ago

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

dealer forgot to install engine air filter... 6 months ago

Got 2 oil changes done yesterday and today on the Mirage and the G4 at a Mitsubishi dealership. I did mine first, it was only $40 bucks and everything was fine.

Did my lady's G4 today and turns out her engine didnt even have an air filter in it! Those same ****ers from last time I serviced it forgot to put one in! I was livid.

And then they tried to sell me on a tranny flush and I was like "No, I brought the G4 in 6 months ago to get that done and you said it wasnt necessary because the car had gotten a new engine and that always comes with the CVT getting fresh fluid." Guy looked at me like I caught him in a lie, unbelievable. Oh and still charged me 50 bucks for a new air filter, the one they forgot to put in in the first place! Thank Satan, these little cars can take a beaten, if this was a Spark or Fiat Id be sheeeit out of luck!

Last edited by MetroMPG; 09-26-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: (split topic from another thread)

Wow that's service!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yeah got 2 oil changes done yesterday and today on the Mirage and the G4 at a Mitsubishi dealership. I did mine first, it was only $40 bucks and everything was fine. Did my lady's G4 today and turns out her engine didnt even have an air filter in it! Those same ****ers from last time I serviced it forgot to put one in! I was livid. And then they tried to sell me on a tranny flush and I was like "No, I brought the G4 in 6 months ago to get that done and you said it wasnt necessary because the car had gotten a new engine and that always comes with the CVT getting fresh fluid." Guy looked at me like I caught him in a lie, unbelievable. Oh and still charged me 50 bucks for a new air filter, the one they forgot to put in in the first place! Thank Satan, these little cars can take a beaten, if this was a Spark or Fiat Id be sheeeit out of luck!
    If you are willing to pay $50 for an air filter, that's on you not them. They are entitled to charge whatever they want, & you are free to take your business elsewhere. I would expect to be overcharged @ a dealership for engine &/or cabin air filters . That's why I would never allow a dealership to change them.

Even if I lived next door to a Mitsubishi dealership, they would only see my Mirage for warranty or recall work. The dealership you are describing would never see my Mirage. Not putting an air filter in your car the last time it was serviced is really quite lame. I am surprised they shared that with you! It's not a place I would take my car for anything.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wow that's service!
    Yeah, I only went there because they got a special on oil changes, full synthetic. Honestly, Im a little relieved Im out of warranty, now I dont have to deal with the Mitsu techs besides oil changes.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you are willing to pay $50 for an air filter, that's on you not them. They are entitled to charge whatever they want, & you are free to take your business elsewhere. I would expect to be overcharged @ a dealership for engine &/or cabin air filters . That's why I would never allow a dealership to change them.

Even if I lived next door to a Mitsubishi dealership, they would only see my Mirage for warranty or recall work. The dealership you are describing would never see my Mirage. Not putting an air filter in your car the last time it was serviced is really quite lame. I am surprised they shared that with you! It's not a place I would take my car for anything.
    I didnt want to pay the $50 but the last three auto parts stores I went to didnt keep our air filters or cabin air filters in stock. So I just wanted one in there pronto considering she had been driving around without one for 6 months. Thank God we dont live on dirt roads or any where dusty, no telling what kind of gunk already got into the engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didnt want to pay the $50 but the last three auto parts stores I went to didnt keep our air filters or cabin air filters in stock. So I just wanted one in there pronto considering she had been driving around without one for 6 months. Thank God we dont live on dirt roads or any where dusty, no telling what kind of gunk already got into the engine.
    Wait, so you border on obsessive about the cvt going bad but yet you drive around for half a year with NO air filter in the car????

And they are like 10-12.00 if I recall on rock auto.

I assume the last one to service the car removed it or never looked at it? It's 2 clips, might want to start checking it out once in a while lol. The last time I checked the air filter on the wife's kia was about a year ago after the dealer replaced it during a free oil change. I wanted to make sure it was actually replaced and sealed properly.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Service like this is not doing anything to help Mitsubishi build market share in the U.S.. Sounds like Goober at Deep South Mitsubishi needs some remedial training on customer service. Hope you find a good, honest mechanic, Dirk.

Or even a mechanic that throws in a free tube of lube with every high flow air filter removal mod? That might help relieve a little bit of pain
    Mirage videos:

I just wanted one in there pronto considering she had been driving around without one for 6 months.
    I would have ordered a reasonably priced one and waited a day or 2 for it. Those little engines are tough - ingesting a few more bugs & small stones won't hurt it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)