Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doug DeMuro comments on my comment/Reddit Ask me anything thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After reading this thread, I've come to realize that on a subliminal, unconscious level, part of why I wanted to buy a new Mirage was precisely to piss off idiot Karens like Doug DeMuro and his legion of busybody, judgmental followers who don't know how to mind their own business. I actually watched the entire video (including whatever hateful comment he made against the poor at the 18-minute mark, condemning people with low credit scores for wanting a reliable car that will get them to and from work so they don't get fired) and then bought my Mirage the same week. I think Doug DeMuro actually helped me decide to buy the car when he pointed out the simplicity and lack of bells and whistles.

I'm not angry at Doug himself. He's just an idiot. But I can't stand the way masses and masses of tens of millions of people who can't mind their own business are ruining society on the whole. They act as if I owe them something. If they don't like my car, they don't have to drive it! STFU KAREN!!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

Clessy (04-15-2021),Subcompact Culture (04-12-2021),Wil B (06-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    I stopped watching Doug. I know he's an "entertainer" but man, I feel bad for the folks that look up to him as a reliable resource. Doug is that car enthusiast that thinks they're a car enthusiast because they can change oil. lol
    I find it odd that there is this amount of hate for Doug. Much like I am surprised at all the people that hate teslas on the wham bam tesla cam channel.

Doug is an enthusiast because he loves and has owned such a diverse collection of cars. A skyline GTR, a ferrari, a KIA stinger, a nissan S car, a viper, a landrover, a ford GT and many others. Owning a mirage and changing the plugs doesn't make you a car enthusiast. And if Doug can not change his own oil (which is probably the case) It doesn't make him NOT an enthusiast. A mirage is not an enthusiast car, it is a niche car. It has some importance because of it's pricing in the market. And I am going to go out on a limb here and state that Doug has driven more cars and more variety of cars than you ever will, so yeh.. He is an enthusiast.

Long before youtube he had a career as a writer. He is an excellent writer when he writes about cars. His youtube channel has 1,347,863,915 views.

What he doesn’t do is look for people with more success than him and put them down to make himself look like a big shot.

He doesn’t appreciate your car, but you do…. And isn’t that what matters.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wanna beco View Post
    I find it odd that there is this amount of hate for Doug. Much like I am surprised at all the people that hate teslas on the wham bam tesla cam channel.

Doug is an enthusiast because he loves and has owned such a diverse collection of cars. A skyline GTR, a ferrari, a KIA stinger, a nissan S car, a viper, a landrover, a ford GT and many others. Owning a mirage and changing the plugs doesn't make you a car enthusiast. And if Doug can not change his own oil (which is probably the case) It doesn't make him NOT an enthusiast. A mirage is not an enthusiast car, it is a niche car. It has some importance because of it's pricing in the market. And I am going to go out on a limb here and state that Doug has driven more cars and more variety of cars than you ever will, so yeh.. He is an enthusiast.

Long before youtube he had a career as a writer. He is an excellent writer when he writes about cars. His youtube channel has 1,347,863,915 views.

What he doesn’t do is look for people with more success than him and put them down to make himself look like a big shot.

I don't hate Doug. I just think he's pretty clueless when stating a Mirage is the worst car one can buy in America. It's been the perfect purchase for me

You can be impressed by all the cars he has driven. I think the guy is a dope. I could care less what he thinks. For some people a Mirage is exactly the car they should own. It's affordable, reliable, & economical. A good car critic would recognize that. I am not impressed by Doug, but I am impressed by my Mirage. Is it the perfect car for all situations or people? No way! A smart person would recognize that! I don't consider Doug one of those!

I don't hate anyone over a car review, but the guy doesn't have my respect. At the same time, I have no problem with you liking him either.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (06-02-2021),Wil B (06-02-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Doug? Is that you?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (06-02-2021),Fummins (06-02-2021),Mark (06-02-2021),twister77 (06-02-2021)

A skyline GTR, a ferrari, a KIA stinger, a nissan S car, a viper, a landrover, a ford GT and many others.
    This is likely part of the problem! He arguably lacks the perspective to discuss a car like the Mirage. Skill & success as a writer / presenter doesn't equate with balance and objectivity.

He knows that calling a car "the worst" is going to generate a lot more buzz and views than calling it "adequate for many people, but ultimately uninspiring to a hardcore traditional car enthusiast".

Mission accomplished! [In his mind.]

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-02-2021),Mark (06-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I find it odd...
    Is that you Doug? In disguise? Welcome to MirageForum!

If not, you and Doug should get a room...

P.S. I'm not a hater. Doug's video about how terrible the Mirage is, was the reason I bought a Mirage! What a wonderfully inexpensive vehicle!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: welcome to the forum, wanna beco!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Doug? Is that you?
    If it's not, its definitely Stan...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    PS: welcome to the forum, wanna beco!
    Thank you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    If it's not, its definitely Stan...
    Hey that's a miquote there! That's my quote, not Dirk's. Lawsuit! Lawsuit! I'm taking you to Judge Judy!

I think he might have accidently shortened is name, maybe he meant to make it, "wanna become Doug."

Hi Doug. That thing on the floor is an air duct.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-02-2021),Fummins (06-02-2021)