Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doug DeMuro comments on my comment/Reddit Ask me anything thread

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Doug DeMuro comments on my comment/Reddit Ask me anything thread

Finally got a chance to call Dougie a schmuck! Feels good.

Name:  Screenshot_20210210-061559_Reddit.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  105.4 KB

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-12-2021),Alpha_One (06-04-2021),daleWV (02-11-2021),dragon2knight (02-11-2021),dspace9 (02-10-2021),Fummins (02-10-2021),MetroMPG (02-10-2021),PityOnU (02-10-2021),strawboss (02-12-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Finally got a chance to call Dougie a schmuck! Feels good.

Name:  Screenshot_20210210-061559_Reddit.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  105.4 KB
    We fellas, I've come full circle. It's time to get rid of my green POS and get me a real man's car..........a Chevy Spark. Just kidding, love my rolling avocado.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-11-2021),MetroMPG (02-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    It is when Dog Decrapo mentioned being able to see the ground around the engine is when I completely flipped on his video.

For anyone who is willing to maintain / repair their own vehicle, HOW WONDERFUL is it to have SPACE around the engine? His logic is the equivalent of popping the hood during a sports car review, of say a Viper and saying, "this engine is entirely too large." WTF?

And then when he found the floor duct/vent and didn't know what it was, I knew, this guy is an idiot. OK, for non-automotive people, or for people just getting into learning about cars, when they might stumble upon a floor vent, I can understand them not knowing what it is. But when a self-promoted (which equals entitled schmuck just like Dirk said) car "reviewer" doesn't know what it is, one's credibility hits rock bottom.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-10-2021),mohammad (10-11-2021),precisionxt (02-12-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ha, well done Dirk. Just out of curiousity, what does the video say at minute 18, that apparently everyone skipped over?

Still, it's kinda like getting a celebrity to comment on something. Years ago I thought 50 cent, and then the Dalai Lama made a comment after I wrote something on their twitter/FB, but yours is direct, and real, and he burns you ha ha. Well done!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

A Youtube celebrity called you a complainer!

I would never wash my typing fingers again after that kind of brush with stardom.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Alpha_One (06-04-2021),dragon2knight (02-11-2021),Fummins (02-10-2021),mohammad (10-11-2021),precisionxt (02-12-2021)

Link to the original Demuro discussion here:

Thread: Another crap review (Video: Doug Demuro reviews a 2015 Mirage CVT)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-10-2021),dragon2knight (02-11-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    He had over a thousand questions posted to him on his thread so for him to pick mine out, even after I posted days after he started his AMA, shows that he super defensive about his bs review and caught a lot of sh!t about it. Rightfully so IMO. He's review really hurt Mirage sales if you go buy the sheer amount of folks on reddit and youtube saying "Look at what Doug said about the Mirage. Don't buy it, its is a POS." Meh, it's a drop in the bucket and his youtube is 5 years old, but I let him know - Mirage owners don't forget nor forgive. Lolol Seriously f%ck him, he's a small reason Mitsu parts are pricey.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha, damn Dirk, really coming out swinging there! Pretty neat that he actually responded to you, though! Congrats! (At least, in some sense of the word?)

I've seen a handful of this guy's videos. They are pretty interesting in that he really gets into a lot of "nooks and crannies" for each of the cars that other reviewers don't necessarily even spend time on. However, the videos themselves seem much more focused on entertainment value more so than actual factual information. Which is fair enough - YouTube revenue runs on views, after all, and videos that are fun to watch will probably end up getting more views than pure, dry facts. An example of this would be Alex Auto's 385K subscriber count versus Doug Demuro's 3.91M.

And let's all be honest - it is pretty easy to make fun of the Mirage. We all do it ourselves from time to time. If I recall correctly, his video was done on the base model of the first-gen version, which was indeed rather spartan, even compared to the base model released even 3 years later. I absolutely love my Mirage (my 2 mile drive to work is - no joke - the highlight of my day), but I will be the first to admit it has some shortcomings when compared to your "average" car. That being said, the average new car now costs $40K, apparently, so I'm totally fine with that

Also keep in mind that this guy's personal cars are, what, a Ford GT and a Ferrari <something Italian>? Super fun cars, I'm sure, but he clearly isn't all about that practicality/reliability!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Haha, damn Dirk, really coming out swinging there! Pretty neat that he actually responded to you, though! Congrats! (At least, in some sense of the word?)

I've seen a handful of this guy's videos. They are pretty interesting in that he really gets into a lot of "nooks and crannies" for each of the cars that other reviewers don't necessarily even spend time on. However, the videos themselves seem much more focused on entertainment value more so than actual factual information. Which is fair enough - YouTube revenue runs on views, after all, and videos that are fun to watch will probably end up getting more views than pure, dry facts. An example of this would be Alex Auto's 385K subscriber count versus Doug Demuro's 3.91M.

And let's all be honest - it is pretty easy to make fun of the Mirage. We all do it ourselves from time to time. If I recall correctly, his video was done on the base model of the first-gen version, which was indeed rather spartan, even compared to the base model released even 3 years later. I absolutely love my Mirage (my 2 mile drive to work is - no joke - the highlight of my day), but I will be the first to admit it has some shortcomings when compared to your "average" car. That being said, the average new car now costs $40K, apparently, so I'm totally fine with that

Also keep in mind that this guy's personal cars are, what, a Ford GT and a Ferrari <something Italian>? Super fun cars, I'm sure, but he clearly isn't all about that practicality/reliability!
    Oh sure I make fun of my sh!tbox all the time, but so far it's been solid @76k miles (30k of those miles being Uber in 8 months too). My policy is to recommend the manual version and caution CVT buyers about preventative maintenance. The amount of ignorance about what a cvt is, is astonishing. Plus Doug is a D level celebrity with zero credibility IMO. I'm glad I got under his skin for brief moment. I hope other folks on Reddit read that retort and question Dougie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    ... shows that he super defensive about his bs [Mirage] review and caught a lot of sh!t about it. Rightfully so IMO.
    In a way, it's good to see that he's defensive about it. We do know that some reviewers change their tune when legitimately challenged about bad Mirage reviews, eg this guy:

Thread: 2020 Mirage review on MotoringTV, with new host Zack

^That reviewer did a complete 180 on the Mirage after getting called out by Mirage fans in the Youtube comments for his first (2014) video. He's since done two more (2017 and 2020), and they're much more balanced than the first one. (I honestly think the last one is TOO positive! He basically just regurgitates Mitsu PR talking points about the car and doesn't offer any legitimate criticism.)

Sad thing is, I think you may be right about Demuro hurting the Mirage's reputaiton. Hard to say how that may have hurt sales. His video probably has more views than any other Mirage review.