Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Doug DeMuro comments on my comment/Reddit Ask me anything thread

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Hey that's a miquote there! That's my quote, not Dirk's. Lawsuit! Lawsuit! I'm taking you to Judge Judy!

I think he might have accidently shortened is name, maybe he meant to make it, "wanna become Doug."

Hi Doug. That thing on the floor is an air duct.
    Lololol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I just think its funny, out of the hundreds of questions put to him, mine was the one that got under his skin. He's a hack that's never even worked on cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The idea expressed in the below meme is one of the major reasons I bought a 2021 Mirage. Yes, it has some technology I'd rather not be present, but it's still a totally off-the-grid vehicle. I'd rather not have the black box internal data recorder, or the forward collision avoidance, or TPMS (the best Tire Pressure Monitoring System is my grandfather's old air pressure gauge), or 48-gazillion airbags that will never save me in a real crash due to the tiny frame. But those things aren't the same as inviting cameras and microphones to record everything I do and where I do it using pinpoint GPS location data.

I recently drove a 2019 Toyota that had the following sticker on the headliner:

VEHICLE DATA TRANSMISSION IS ON! Your vehicle wirelessly transmits location, driving and vehicle health data to deliver your services and for internal research and data analysis. See www.toyota.com/privacyvts. To disable, press vehicle's SOS button.
    TO BE REMOVED BY OWNER ONLY
    Reading the webpage on [total lack of] privacy on the toyota website, I don't feel comfortable driving a car like that ever again. Tesla is every bit as bad, and even worse, since they were the innovator for a lot of this stuff in the automotive industry.

To keep this on topic, I wonder if Doug DeMuro ever considers these kinds of factors when writing about cars. Some people want a computer with wheels. I don't. I just want a car with the simplicity of a 1964 Impala or VW bug.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    Yes, it has some technology I'd rather not be present, but it's still a totally off-the-grid vehicle.
    That is expressed very well. That is one of my major likes of the vehicle, but I've never been able to put my finger on it exactly. But that's it. It is one of the last few off-the-grid vehicles we may have access to. I too do not want a computer with wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    The idea expressed in the below meme is one of the major reasons I bought a 2021 Mirage. Yes, it has some technology I'd rather not be present, but it's still a totally off-the-grid vehicle. I'd rather not have the black box internal data recorder, or the forward collision avoidance, or TPMS (the best Tire Pressure Monitoring System is my grandfather's old air pressure gauge), or 48-gazillion airbags that will never save me in a real crash due to the tiny frame. But those things aren't the same as inviting cameras and microphones to record everything I do and where I do it using pinpoint GPS location data.

I recently drove a 2019 Toyota that had the following sticker on the headliner:

Reading the webpage on [total lack of] privacy on the toyota website, I don't feel comfortable driving a car like that ever again. Tesla is every bit as bad, and even worse, since they were the innovator for a lot of this stuff in the automotive industry.

To keep this on topic, I wonder if Doug DeMuro ever considers these kinds of factors when writing about cars. Some people want a computer with wheels. I don't. I just want a car with the simplicity of a 1964 Impala or VW bug.
    Oh Jesus. So Karl Marx wants to track my Mirage now? I'm riding with my tin foil wizard hat from now on out. I can't have them Canadian liberals reading my fuel economy!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wanna beco View Post
    Owning a mirage and changing the plugs doesn't make you a car enthusiast. And if Doug can not change his own oil (which is probably the case) It doesn't make him NOT an enthusiast. A mirage is not an enthusiast car
    I disagree with this statement. Owning a Mirage may not qualify someone in the enthusiast category but owning one and joining a forum to over analyze just might.

Nice introductory post to the Mirage forum. Welcome to the forum, eh?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I disagree with this statement. Owning a Mirage may not qualify someone in the enthusiast category but owning one and joining a forum to over analyze just might.

Nice introductory post to the Mirage forum. Welcome to the forum, eh?
    I think Doug Demuro's channel is the automotive equivalent of a YouTube channel where a woman shops for purses.

He doesn't know much about cars...he just knows what purses he likes and dislikes.

(Valley girl accent) "And the Mirage has this plastic thingy under the seat? Liiike, OMG, what's even up with that?"

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (06-03-2021),Dirk Diggler (06-03-2021),Fummins (06-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I think Doug Demuro's channel is the automotive equivalent of a YouTube channel where a woman shops for purses.

He doesn't know much about cars...he just knows what purses he likes and dislikes.

(Valley girl accent) "And the Mirage has this plastic thingy under the seat? Liiike, OMG, what's even up with that?"
    Has the valley girl found the jack?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-11-2021)