Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: -20 cold winter night, Mirage's heater sucks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Anyone drive their Mirage late at night in -20 C weather? Like 10 F...

Seems like I either have heat, and a fogging windshield; or a clear windshield, and only a little tiny amount of heat coming out of the vents. Seems like it's an either/or. I usually choose a clear windshield.

Mirage starts up great at night, and runs fine in the cold, minus the plastic ricketting on the dash.

Only a problem is lack of heat when it's truly cold, cold to the point that the pixel'y digital radio screen kinda "shutters" when you change the volume. That's the sign it's cold.

No solutions really to be seen, but I just wanted to point out that our lovely Mirage's have crappy heaters. Then again I think the Mirage is in its prime in warm clime's, and I'm just a cheapo to drive it year round in Canada. Has been a great commuter for 7 years, you just just need winter gloves and a jacket.

I get home and see those new Lincoln ads with steaming coffee in the cupholder, and -25 outside, and I think to myself, ugh lol.
    You might have a problem. My 2020 Mirage gets up the heat faster than my Outlander. 5 min warm up and I am toast. Maybe check with your repair guy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    He's been complaining about a washer squirter not working for over a year and not wanting to fix it. This sounds like a job that involves listing it on kijiji in the spring.
    So tell me what you think. Last week I got called out for an unnecessary inflammatory post. What I want to know is if insulting posts are ok here or not. Should we allow the practice for certain individuals, a select few or not at all?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wow, really? Wtf do you consider an insult? I was stating facts Egg man.

I think they really need to reconsider who they let moderate this forum. It's gone to **** lately.
    So you don’t think what you said was insulting to another forum member??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (02-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Also, the good old "Check your cabin filter".. Also make sure there isn't a build up of ice & snow @ the bottom of the windshield / hood area as this is where your fresh air enters the heater from outside... & please make sure your antifreeze is correct strength, not too thin & not pure antifreeze straight from the jug. Sorry for the long post, but it sucks being cold. I know, I have a VW beetle
    I agree with everything being suggested by everyone, but I would start with the checking of your cabin air filter. The only time I thought my Mirage sucked in the cold was when the cabin air filter was plugged up. Some mice decided to camp out next to it. It's as far as they got at least. I pulled handfuls of leaves, insulation, and other garbage out of that area. They did a number on it. I have had mice camp out outside my engine air filter element, too.

I check both area more often now (usually at oil change time) or when I sense an issue.

It's an easy place to start, & I like ruling out easy stuff first.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mine is also great in the cold weather. Plenty of heat. No fog up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    So you donÂ’t think what you said was insulting to another forum member??
    Seeing someone on the forum with greater Mirage knowledge sharing that knowledge with someone who has less is the best thing about this forum. Someone like Fummins has way more potential than myself to do that!

Likewise, guys like Loren can really lose me on some topics. I really admire what guys like Loren & Fummins can share with all of us. I also admire Daox's willingness to design products for our Mirages and sharing/selling them to us. I admire members like Dirk, who aren't afraid to ask questions & share concerns.

Those with the most knowledge probably need to remain sensitive to the crowd they are talking to sometimes. This is coming from someone who taught 7th grade science for over 3 decades & just spent 6 hours driving with 15.5 - 16 year old student drivers today. I am guilty of not being the best at this, too! I am not here pointing fingers at anyone.

There have been times when I have felt a bit bashed on the forum. I don't let it bother me, but it's bothered other members enough to personally email about it. I appreciate those who are that sensitive & caring. I consider them my Mirage forum friends.

From my experience on this forum, some of us could be better at times & that includes moderators. I am not excluding myself either. The positives shared here surely outweigh the occasional negative.

The world can be a yucky place sometimes. At times, this forum is a break from that for me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-11-2021),Eggman (02-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    So you don’t think what you said was insulting to another forum member??

Alrighty then..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Okay thanks y'all, sounds like it's the restricted heater core issue. Checked last night, and the heat does seem to be uneven from left side to right side... more heat on the driver's side to the passengers side. Stretch Armstrong test eh.

I also want to make sure I don't got no ice build up at the bottom of the windshield. I've never checked my cabin filter. Like Mark says, start with the easiest and go down.

Clearly the solution to this is taking it to the shop. But I think I can give them direction more now. Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Okay thanks y'all, sounds like it's the restricted heater core issue. Checked last night, and the heat does seem to be uneven from left side to right side... more heat on the driver's side to the passengers side. Stretch Armstrong test eh.

I also want to make sure I don't got no ice build up at the bottom of the windshield. I've never checked my cabin filter. Like Mark says, start with the easiest and go down.

Clearly the solution to this is taking it to the shop. But I think I can give them direction more now. Thanks!
    If you have never touched your cabin air filter in a 7-year old Mirage, I would most definitely start there.

It's a very simple task. It takes more time for me to empty my glovebox than change the filter. Here's a clip on how to do it (2015 Mirage used) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsI1BI_62YE

Take note that the video clip is only 1 minute long. That's how easy it is!

Paying a dealership to tell me cabin air filter is dirty would not make me happy at least.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-11-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Done. No cabin filter. So that's odd.

Edit: bought new cabin filter, $26 and change from car quest, but I don't know if that's gonna effect the heat. Still, why no cabin filter?!

Last edited by dspace9; 02-11-2021 at 05:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)