Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: -20 cold winter night, Mirage's heater sucks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I thought cars came with cabin filters from the factory?
    Cars & Trucks never had cabin filters before ~1990ish. I don't think it wrecked your car not having a filter.

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Cars & Trucks never had cabin filters before ~1990ish. I don't think it wrecked your car not having a filter.
    I was thinking the same thing, & trying to remember my first vehicle to have one. I think my 2000 Honda CRV LX AWD manual was the first.

Quote from the internet (where everything is true!)

"Cabin air filters were only introduced in cars that were built after the year 2000. They prevent pollutants from entering the vehicle's cabin, as well as leaves, bugs and other debris from entering the heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system." Sep 2, 2014

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just figured that if my 2014 car has the slot for a cabin filter, there'd be a filter in there. Not a hamburger bun with no paddy lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe it didn't have one because it's a no A/C car?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    . I'm told Mirage filters are twice the price as most cars. May be a supply/demand thing in North America, where they don't sell as many Mitsubishis as other markets worldwide.
    Whoever told you that is making something up to justify what he charged you for a cabin air filter.

Mirage cabin air filters are no more expensive than other ones.

I looked up cabin air filters @ rockauto.com for prices -

Chevy Spark
    TYC - $6.73 - cheap one
    WIX - $20.99/$24.79 - two types offered

Mirage
    TYC - $4.00 - cheap one
    WIX -$17.30

What is true - rockauto.com offers 19 different cabin air filters for the Spark, & only 6 for the Mirage.

Not having a cabin air filter is the fault of the company. Not having one for 8 years is the fault of the owner. It would be like running your furnace without the filter installed. Will it still work? Yes. Will the air be as clean? No

The duct work in a house would get dirty faster without a filter. I'm sure the same has happened to your Mirage to some extent.

The cabin air filter on a Mirage is quite small compared to any other vehicles I have changed. It should be checked more frequently because of that in my opinion. I look it over every oil change now. Sometimes, I blow it out with an air compressor & other times I replace it. I buy cheap cabin air filters and better quality engine air filters for my Mirage.

I don't think not having A/C justifies not having one in place.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Whoever told you that is making something up to justify what he charged you for a cabin air filter.

Mirage cabin air filters are no more expensive than other ones.

I looked up cabin air filters @ rockauto.com for prices -

Chevy Spark
    TYC - $6.73 - cheap one
    WIX - $20.99/$24.79 - two types offered

Mirage
    TYC - $4.00 - cheap one
    WIX -$17.30

What is true - rockauto.com offers 19 different cabin air filters for the Spark, & only 6 for the Mirage.

Not having a cabin air filter is the fault of the company. Not having one for 8 years is the fault of the owner. It would be like running your furnace without the filter installed. Will it still work? Yes. Will the air be as clean? No

The duct work in a house would get dirty faster without a filter. I'm sure the same has happened to your Mirage to some extent.

The cabin air filter on a Mirage is quite small compared to any other vehicles I have changed. It should be checked more frequently because of that in my opinion. I look it over every oil change now. Sometimes, I blow it out with an air compressor & other times I replace it. I buy cheap cabin air filters and better quality engine air filters for my Mirage.

I don't think not having A/C justifies not having one in place.
    You have way more store selection. Go on Amazon Canada, and you'll see the prices.

If taking your glove box out is standard maintenance for your non-car enthusiast car owner, then I'm not sure if your definition of routine maintenance is the same as mine is. I wouldn't want Grandma doing that job on their Mirage.

I never knew I didn't have a cabin filter, because like most car owners, I never thought to check. This is not standard, routine maintenance. Might be to you, but you have your car repairman glasses on lol.
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-14-2021 at 07:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You have way more store selection. Go on Amazon Canada, and you'll see the prices.

If taking your glove box out is standard maintenance for your non-car enthusiast car owner, then I'm not sure if your definition of routine maintenance is the same as mine is. I wouldn't want Grandma doing that job on their Mirage.

I never knew I didn't have a cabin filter, because like most car owners, I never thought to check. This is not standard, routine maintenance. Might be to you, but you have your car repairman glasses on lol.
    In all fairness, rockauto.com prices don't include shipping. My point wasn't the number of choices. I just don't find common things like oil, oil filters, or cabin air filters to be any more expensive for a Mirage compared to any other vehicles. When someone says parts like these are more expensive for Mirage, I don't really see that. I am not shopping for OEM replacement parts, however.

A place like Auto Zone only offers two cabin air filters for a Mirage. A STP @ $15 & a STP Maximum @ $22.

The same STP cabin air filters for the Spark are $20 & $27. 3-4 other options for the Spark are listed. An AC Delco for $17 and $40 K&N would be examples of those. None of the Spark options are less than $17 @ Auto Zone.

A Mirage cabin air filter is pretty small & flimsy. Anything over $10 seems overpriced to me, but most of them are $15 or more.

I was not harping on what you paid for a cabin air filter. If you go somewhere & they have one choice, that's what you pay. I was responding to the comment that parts for Mirage are more expensive. I don't think parts like these are that different in price for a Mirage verses other vehicles.

If you want your heat/AC to function properly, checking your cabin filter is critical. I suspected an issue once (windows fogging up more than usual), & it was the cabin air filter. I blow mine out most of the time with my air compressor & keep a spare replacement on hand.

I put most of my stuff in zip lock bags in my glovebox now. I pull out the bags, & it makes it easier/quicker to check the cabin air filter. Not saying this is the best practice, but I do check them more frequently now.

I traveled over 750 miles the past three days in mostly -0F temperatures, & my Mirage was throwing out good heat for me. I just did my 45,000 mile oil change tonight. It got dark on me in the end. I will check the cabin air filter tomorrow, but I suspect it's ok.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-15-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I guess having *any* cabin filter will be an improvement over driving with none. So ridiculous a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I put most of my stuff in zip lock bags in my glovebox now. I pull out the bags, & it makes it easier/quicker to check the cabin air filter.
    It took me a while but I now just pull the entire glovebox out when checking or changing filters. They just unclip where it hinges. No more dumping crap all over the floor.

This can potentially help those who are slowly learning about routine maintenance from dumping all their makeup and adult toys all over the floor.

Your inbox is full.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It took me a while but I now just pull the entire glovebox out when checking or changing filters. They just unclip where it hinges. No more dumping crap all over the floor.

This can potentially help those who are slowly learning about routine maintenance from dumping all their makeup and adult toys all over the floor.

Your inbox is full.
    I am going to try that today. It better work, because it's still nasty cold out!

I emptied my inbox, too!