Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote start for 'keyless start' 2019 GT ...what are the options?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Remote start for 'keyless start' 2019 GT ...what are the options?

What the dealers want for remote start is ridiculous. I've seen aftermarket remote starters but they are for 'key to start' cars and mine is keyless start. I've also seen cheaper remote oem starters on ebay but they are for 2014 and up, and I'm not sure they'll work on a 2019 keyless start. Does anyone know of a reasonably cheap solution for remote start?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This doesn't directly answer your question, but just to echo my experience throughout the years:

I've seen so many cars bricked (i.e. rendered unusable) from people having third party remote start systems installed. It hardly ever happens right away, but generally 1-2 years down the line something somewhere fries and all the electronics need to be totally ripped apart for things to get working again.

Based on my own anecdotal experiences, a remote start system is not something I would try to pinch pennies on. I would actually go so far as to refusing anything that isn't OEM. Way too many delicate computer systems on cars nowadays.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with PityOnU... My neighbor alone had remote start systems fry two of their vehicles. Aftermarket remote starts are garbage. Pay out the nose for the Mitsubishi one and it's covered under the car's warranty as well. I installed it myself on my old 2019... Wasn't too horrible to do but it had to go in for programming with a MUTIII afterwards. But it worked great.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It appears that the MZ360400EX oem remote start doesn't work although someone sellers online claim it does. The newer remote apparently does mz360477ex but the price to Canada is in the $900 cdn range plus install and dealer activation. One aftermarket solution appears to be by Fortin and can be purchased in Canada for under $200cdn plus you need to buy the usb programmer for another 70-80$cdn. The problem I see is as you guys mentioned that they don't have a plugin wiring harness. It has to be 'hacked' into the cars' electronic system. And there is a risk of hooking it up incorrectly and causing damage so probably one might consider having it installed. The car is brand new and this winter is close to conclusion so for now I won't be doing it. My first 'mod' or upgrade will probably be insulating the car doors ...and then maybe the trunk with something like dynamat when it gets warm again. Thanks for the replies guys !!!

I’ve never heard of a car being bricked from a remote start.
    I’ve seen lots of older(90’s-00’s) remote starts have relays fail or stick rendering them useless or kill batteries. My white car had a dealer installed aftermarket remote Start from new, but was removed by 2nd owner. The dealer installed an aftermarket remote start in her vehicle from new it works fine other than the aftermarket fins both crapped out, oem
    Will start it still though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My 2019 GT is already keyless with keyless entry remote. It would have cost almost nothing for Mitsubishi to have programmed the car's computer to work with a 3rd button on the remote to start the car from a short distance. It should be included for free instead of costing up to $1500cdn. I added aftermarket cruise control on my 2014 and the dealer service adviser politely let me know without saying so that they could void my warranty for doing so when they did a recall software update. The wiring hiring harness on the cruise control had a bad connection and it ended up only working when it wanted to. I had a major problem when I lost both wheel bearings and an axle... I ripped out all my mods except the rear sway bar because I couldn't get the screws out and because it really wasn't affecting the car's warranty unless I had a suspension issue in the rear. I had spring spacers in the front springs and they worked great. I was the original poster about them. The bottom line is by now we should not have to mod any car. Mitsubishi is/was forcing us to. For 2017 the mirage was much improved upon. The biggest improvements were the 'looks' of the car and the suspension. I bought the GT because I got a great deal on it and plus it had the most features and was the most likely to keep me from wanted to modify the car. The 2 things that bother me is the cost to get remote start and the noise in car/weak stereo sytem. If I got the dealer to put remote start and add the Rockford Fosgate components it would probably had added $3000cdn to the price. I didn't ask for the dealer to price it exactly because I already had an idea what it would cost. And I still would be unhappy with a noisy interior ride and a stereo lacking in bass.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by obrother View Post
    My 2019 GT is already keyless with keyless entry remote. It would have cost almost nothing for Mitsubishi to have programmed the car's computer to work with a 3rd button on the remote to start the car from a short distance. It should be included for free instead of costing up to $1500cdn. I added aftermarket cruise control on my 2014 and the dealer service adviser politely let me know without saying so that they could void my warranty for doing so when they did a recall software update. The wiring hiring harness on the cruise control had a bad connection and it ended up only working when it wanted to. I had a major problem when I lost both wheel bearings and an axle... I ripped out all my mods except the rear sway bar because I couldn't get the screws out and because it really wasn't affecting the car's warranty unless I had a suspension issue in the rear. I had spring spacers in the front springs and they worked great. I was the original poster about them. The bottom line is by now we should not have to mod any car. Mitsubishi is/was forcing us to. For 2017 the mirage was much improved upon. The biggest improvements were the 'looks' of the car and the suspension. I bought the GT because I got a great deal on it and plus it had the most features and was the most likely to keep me from wanted to modify the car. The 2 things that bother me is the cost to get remote start and the noise in car/weak stereo sytem. If I got the dealer to put remote start and add the Rockford Fosgate components it would probably had added $3000cdn to the price. I didn't ask for the dealer to price it exactly because I already had an idea what it would cost. And I still would be unhappy with a noisy interior ride and a stereo lacking in bass.
    If I felt the way you do, I seriously wouldn't have bought a Mitsubishi Mirage.

Ironically, I feel the opposite of you. Today's most basic Mirage ES is a nicely equipped economy car, & I can still probably buy a new ES manual for under $11,000 OTD ($1,000 loyalty rebate included). A/C, power windows, keyless locks, cruise control, etc... are really nice features. I've owned economy cars in the past that didn't have any of those features. Heck, one car didn't even come with a radio, antenna, or speakers. I almost prefer that. The car was so cheap, & you could add what you really wanted with ease.

I don't like wasting gas. If my car is running, I am driving somewhere. I can't imagine ever using/wanting a feature like remote starting. Then again, I remember the days when TVs didn't come with remotes. I must admit that I do love my TV remote!

Maybe the auto stop & go feature on many new vehicles these days makes up for the gas wasted on the remote starting feature? Who knows?

If you're distracted by the screen on your dash, the 2021 Mirages all come with assist braking now. It's all a bit much in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I felt the way you do, I seriously wouldn't have bought a Mitsubishi Mirage.

Ironically, I feel the opposite of you. Today's most basic Mirage ES is a nicely equipped economy car, & I can still probably buy a new ES manual for under $11,000 OTD ($1,000 loyalty rebate included). A/C, power windows, keyless locks, cruise control, etc... are really nice features. I've owned economy cars in the past that didn't have any of those features. Heck, one car didn't even come with a radio, antenna, or speakers. I almost prefer that. The car was so cheap, & you could add what you really wanted with ease.

I don't like wasting gas. If my car is running, I am driving somewhere. I can't imagine ever using/wanting a feature like remote starting. Then again, I remember the days when TVs didn't come with remotes. I must admit that I do love my TV remote!

Maybe the auto stop & go feature on many new vehicles these days makes up for the gas wasted on the remote starting feature? Who knows?

If you're distracted by the screen on your dash, the 2021 Mirages all come with assist braking now. It's all a bit much in my opinion.
    I'm spoiled by my 2016 Jeep Cherokee. It had remote start and an awesome 9 speaker plus subwoofer touchscreen stereo with siriusxm when I bought it and I got a good deal on it so it didn't cost me much for the extra features. I absolutely love the stereo in it. It's freakin amazing... and then I get in the mirage and it has that tin can sound and it bothers me that it has keyless entry, push button start but no remote start. Compared to the 2014 I'm really happy with it... I got a great deal on it(I paid much less then the 2014 top of the line at the time SE except I cheaped out on cruise control) and I don't have a necessity to mod it like I did with the 2014(the suspension was horrible). We'll see what happens with my 2019 GT... I just got it and it's still brand new waiting for my winter tires to come in at Costco. The Fortin remote start has an addon so that you can start it by cellphone app within 2 provinces in Canada for free...the car doesn't need it's own cell plan for it to work. It is tempting !!! lol
    Last edited by obrother; 02-16-2021 at 04:39 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have the Idatastart on my 2018 GT & the same brand in the Queens Subaru. They both work great. I can start my car from almost a mile away but I asked for the long distance feature. I think it was ~$400.00 CDN installed, but my GT has a key. I don't know if that matters, but maybe contact an installer for more info. The dealer said it wouldn't affect my warranty as that was the make & installer they use themselves. Each dealer may be different, tho, so check first...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I have the Idatastart on my 2018 GT & the same brand in the Queens Subaru. They both work great. I can start my car from almost a mile away but I asked for the long distance feature. I think it was ~$400.00 CDN installed, but my GT has a key. I don't know if that matters, but maybe contact an installer for more info. The dealer said it wouldn't affect my warranty as that was the make & installer they use themselves. Each dealer may be different, tho, so check first...
    As far as I know Fortin is the only one that makes one for a push-button starting mirage other than oem. Unfortunately they don't have a wiring harness for it though. And nowadays many installers are using t-tap slices...it's quick and cleanish but not my favourite.