Thread: mirror mount dash cam installation help

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question mirror mount dash cam installation help

Hello,

I just ordered one of those mirror dash cams off amazon. I was wondering what the best placement location for the rearview camera is? i was thinking to place it on the rear spoiler just behind the 3rd brake light because i want a downward angle to see parking lines on the ground but im concerned it maybe too high up? also should i place the camera on the inside or outside of my car?

has anyone experimented with/ can share photos of where they placed their rear cameras and why?

also, how should i run the wire to the rear camera? if i run it along the headliner on one side should i be concerned with blocking the curtain airbags? is their a tutorial online on how to remove the headliner?

note: i refer to it as a rear camera and not just a backup camera because it can be used to view rear footage live in place of the mirror

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I installed a rearview camera inside the window and ran the wiring above the headliner. Refer to my forum Garage entry for details.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I found the post in your garage entry. you dont make any mention of how you ran the cable through the headliner? do you need to disassemble the entire headliner? do you just remove the roof dome light and try fishing it through? Also why did you choose to put the camera inside of the car instead of outside the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I installed a rearview camera inside the window and ran the wiring above the headliner. Refer to my forum Garage entry for details.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I found the post in your garage entry. you dont make any mention of how you ran the cable through the headliner? do you need to disassemble the entire headliner? do you just remove the roof dome light and try fishing it through? Also why did you choose to put the camera inside of the car instead of outside the car?
    Hey mohammad - you’re up early.

I didn’t remove the headliner, I fished the wiring through. This can be done with electricians fishing sticks though in this case you could make do with a wire coat hanger.

Inside will protect against theft and weather.

Please forgive my short replies, I don’t have a lot of time to give a more in-depth response. Hope this answers your questions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)