Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 OEM steel wheels in good condition for sale 14x4.5"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Wheels felt good on the hwy. Question though. Since those alloys weigh more, is that going to be added stress on my little brakes? Faster pad denigration?
    Most likely yes. When they need to be replaced get yourself some 17+ Mirage front rotors, pads, and caliper brackets. I'll be doing that to my 15's when they need brakes again (I have a set of caliper brackets already... should grab them off of this dude's parts car once I go back for more parts too) since the 17+ seems to stop better.

-Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Most likely yes. When they need to be replaced get yourself some 17+ Mirage front rotors, pads, and caliper brackets. I'll be doing that to my 15's when they need brakes again (I have a set of caliper brackets already... should grab them off of this dude's parts car once I go back for more parts too) since the 17+ seems to stop better.
    Thanks for the heads up but man I don't want to do all that. I just want to replace my front pads when I start hearing a screech like in all my other cars. I'm just wondering how much denigration. I'll post updates on it. The G4 has the same wheel tire setup but bigger brakes so the brakes feel fine. It'll be interesting to see the difference on how well the little 2014 brakes can handle the load.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Drik, if you were closer I'd do it for you lol. It's basically the same work to change the brakes to the bigger kind as it is to replace the stock ones if I remember right. Maybe... MAYBE two bolts extra.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    According to "Beefcake Brakes" lol
    We estimate that a 10% increase in overall wheel size works out to a 10% decrease in brake performance. We have also estimated that a 10lbs increase in wheel and/or tire weight works out to a 1% decrease in brake performance. We call this the 10-10-10-1 rule of thumb.

My current set up weighs 30lbs. vs an oem set up of 26lbs. 4lbs. difference. 175 65 r14 is a 2.3% increase in size. I think it's a factor but a small one at that? Time well tell.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    We estimate that a 10% increase in overall wheel size works out to a 10% decrease in brake performance. We have also estimated that a 10lbs increase in wheel and/or tire weight works out to a 1% decrease in brake performance. We call this the 10-10-10-1 rule of thumb.

My current set up weighs 30lbs. vs an oem set up of 26lbs. 4lbs. difference. 175 65 r14 is a 2.3% increase in size. I think it's a factor but a small one at that? Time well tell.
    All 2014-21 Mirages use the same brake pads. Only the rotors & calipers were changed in 2017.

Larger rotors will improve braking, but does that carry over to longer brake pad life?

I personally wouldn't worry about it either. Brakes wear out & then you replace them. It's part of owning a car.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-18-2021 at 03:47 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts

Dirk - My gut tells me YOU probably won't notice any additional wear / service on the brakes due to the wheels. I'm guessing you're a conscious DRIVER, and not saving all the brake input to the last second. Probably the vast majority on these forums are the same.

Now if your Mirage were seeing police duty, or ambulance duty, you know something like that where there will be instances of heavy acceleration followed by heavy braking ... yeah, it might become apparent. But in this case, I have my doubts you'll notice a difference.

Can you slap up a picture of your wife's G4 wheels? I'd like to see which I like better. But I highly doubt I'm going to like them better than your Mirage wheels. I think those are the best looking wheels I've seen on a Mirage yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dirk - My gut tells me YOU probably won't notice any additional wear / service on the brakes due to the wheels. I'm guessing you're a conscious DRIVER, and not saving all the brake input to the last second. Probably the vast majority on these forums are the same.

Now if your Mirage were seeing police duty, or ambulance duty, you know something like that where there will be instances of heavy acceleration followed by heavy braking ... yeah, it might become apparent. But in this case, I have my doubts you'll notice a difference.

Can you slap up a picture of your wife's G4 wheels? I'd like to see which I like better. But I highly doubt I'm going to like them better than your Mirage wheels. I think those are the best looking wheels I've seen on a Mirage yet.
    Its not letting me load pics right now but the G4 has the exact same wheel and tire as my Mirage. Her car brakes like a dream, the added 4lbs per wheel/tire combo isn't noticeable at all. It's barely noticeable in my 2014 hatch and but wheel see if its harder on the brakes over time. Appreciate the advice.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    All 2014-21 Mirages use the same brake pads. Only the rotors & calipers were changed in 2017.

Larger rotors will improve braking, but does carry over to longer brake pad life?

I personally wouldn't worry about it either. Brakes wear out & then you replace them. It's part of owning a car.
    Ahhhhh I see.

I'm getting the Vision Cross alloys so I got 4 steelies for sale. I believe Mitsu wants $150 a pop? I'll sell mine for a third of that if anyone is interested. PM me.
    Will you take $25 for all 4 and can you deliver 2300 miles? Asking for a friend.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Will you take $25 for all 4 and can you deliver 2300 miles? Asking for a friend.
    Man I wish! I'd probably get held at the border by the Mounties for asking where the John Candy statue is and asking "Is Tim Horton still Emperor of Canada?" Whilst an avalanche of weed smoke pours out of my cracked window.