Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2/11/2021: My dad passed away...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your Dad knew. You didn't need to say the words. Don't feel bad about that. You were there when he needed you to be, and that's what counts.

COVID sucks. Cancer sucks.

Last edited by Loren; 02-17-2021 at 03:13 PM.
    Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

precisionxt (02-18-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    That's really nice you giving your sister a car too. Was she in need of one?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man, sorry to hear about your dad. That really sucks...
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Sorry to hear what happened, so sad. I've seen a few friends pass away from lung cancer, and thats probably the worst way of all to go. Catching COVID as terrible as that is, may have prevented worse suffering. You have probably done the best anybody could have.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That's really nice you giving your sister a car too. Was she in need of one?
    Interesting question. The answer is yes / no. If she didn't let her daughter take advantage of her, then no. But what parent doesn't let their kids take advantage of them, at least to some degree.

She has a Kia Sorento. I only approved of her buying it because I was working for H-K at the time and she got a huge discount from me being a H-K employee. And since it came with a 100k mile warranty (and she needed it and used it). But I also convinced her to get the V6. Because H-K makes a strong running V6, very appropriate for the Sorento. While the 4 cylinder that was available for the Sorento is actually a decent I4, it is not well suited for the Sorento. It's a top end I4, and the heavy-ish SUV needs low end grunt. And the V6 was within 1 or 2 mpg of the I4.

Anyway - Her 17 y.o. daughter had an Xterra turd, and tore it up I think she was trying to do some offroad crap with it. Tore up the suspension best I can recall. Then she borrowed my sister's Sorento (because my sister had access to one of my dad's cars while she was living with him). Then she promptly tore up something suspension wise on the Sorento. I don't know where she is in the process of fixing the Sorento, I tried to help her but she wasn't making that easy.

So when my dad passed, I'm his executor. I was taking care of all his finances prior to him passing away anyway. Now that he has passed, more or less the estate is mine. But I have not a thought of cheating my sister out of her 50%. So he had 2 cars, she can have one (a Ford Fusion that was my mom's). It is in great shape, low miles. I will take ownership of his 2003 GMC Sierra, basic, but a nice truck (1/2 ton, 2WD, shortbed). I've had that truck torn to pieces over the past 2 years fixing problems here and there for him. So it is in pretty dern good shape at this point.

Also, when my Scamp wasn't loud enough with the Borla mufflers, I took them off and threw on some Flowmaster Super 40's (still not loud enough now). And I gave my dad one of the Borla mufflers. He had it put on his truck. It is perfect. It sounded like FINALLY his 4.8L V8 Sierra put on its big boy pants. Sounds like a real truck. But not too loud at all. My dad loved the sound of that truck since I gave him that muffler.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Interesting question. The answer is yes / no. If she didn't let her daughter take advantage of her, then no. But what parent doesn't let their kids take advantage of them, at least to some degree.

She has a Kia Sorento. I only approved of her buying it because I was working for H-K at the time and she got a huge discount from me being a H-K employee. And since it came with a 100k mile warranty (and she needed it and used it). But I also convinced her to get the V6. Because H-K makes a strong running V6, very appropriate for the Sorento. While the 4 cylinder that was available for the Sorento is actually a decent I4, it is not well suited for the Sorento. It's a top end I4, and the heavy-ish SUV needs low end grunt. And the V6 was within 1 or 2 mpg of the I4.

Anyway - Her 17 y.o. daughter had an Xterra turd, and tore it up I think she was trying to do some offroad crap with it. Tore up the suspension best I can recall. Then she borrowed my sister's Sorento (because my sister had access to one of my dad's cars while she was living with him). Then she promptly tore up something suspension wise on the Sorento. I don't know where she is in the process of fixing the Sorento, I tried to help her but she wasn't making that easy.

So when my dad passed, I'm his executor. I was taking care of all his finances prior to him passing away anyway. Now that he has passed, more or less the estate is mine. But I have not a thought of cheating my sister out of her 50%. So he had 2 cars, she can have one (a Ford Fusion that was my mom's). It is in great shape, low miles. I will take ownership of his 2003 GMC Sierra, basic, but a nice truck (1/2 ton, 2WD, shortbed). I've had that truck torn to pieces over the past 2 years fixing problems here and there for him. So it is in pretty dern good shape at this point.

Also, when my Scamp wasn't loud enough with the Borla mufflers, I took them off and threw on some Flowmaster Super 40's (still not loud enough now). And I gave my dad one of the Borla mufflers. He had it put on his truck. It is perfect. It sounded like FINALLY his 4.8L V8 Sierra put on its big boy pants. Sounds like a real truck. But not too loud at all. My dad loved the sound of that truck since I gave him that muffler.
    I'm sure your Pop would be proud of you being such a good brother/uncle.

Condolences on your dad, 7milesout . And for losing your mom so recently too.

Will it be a regular funeral in terms of attendance?

I "went to" my first funeral via Zoom a week ago - the last of my great aunts passed away. Health rules limited the group size to just 10, and it's a BIG family.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They haven't put any limit on us as yet. Just wear a mask. However, a lot of old folk in the family now. Many either can't make it, or won't chance covid. It will be live streamed and I sent them the info.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Funeral now completed. Time to move on, settle the estate and figure out what to do with the house. I'm hoping my sister will let me buy her out after we deal with the contents (yard sales mainly). Then I will consider to rent the house with the hopes that one day if I live long enough maybe I will retire into that house. Hopefully the neighborhood will discontinue its downhill slide.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another month, another death close to me. 31 days later (3/12), my best friend from H.S. died. 48 or 49 years old. Covid strikes again. His only pre-condition was diabetes. Right back up to my home town I go.

I have 19" (Rays) G35 wheels to transport up there. I want to attend the funeral in my Lexus because I'm betting some of my H.S. friends or his family is going to want / need a ride in a limo style vehicle. But I doubt I'm getting the Rays in the trunk of the Lexus.

Anywho - Gonna miss my best friend. But he had brothers, 2 sons, a wife and his parents are still alive and they will miss him more.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-15-2021),inuvik (03-15-2021),MirageRally (03-16-2021)