Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Mirage has TWO fuel economy MPG gauges, (A & B) in the multi information display

Your Mirage has TWO fuel economy MPG gauges, (A & B) in the multi information display

Did you know the Mirage has 2 factory fuel economy gauges?

The "A" gauge is the one shown by default, and it resets if the engine hasn't been started for 4 hours, which means it's OK for tracking your "trip" fuel economy, but it's kind of useless for tracking a whole tank.

The "B" gauge is kind of buried in the menus, and it only resets when you tell it to, which makes it good for monitoring your tank MPG.

Both are in the "Multi Information Display" in the instrument cluster, which includes other information like a "range to empty" calculation, and more:

Alpha_One described the features of the fuel consumption display in his Mirage (Philippine model) introduction thread:

• The MID shows trip average fuel consumption in L/100km (default), km/L, or MPG.
    • It's resettable on the fly.
    • The "A" fuel consumption gauge auto resets after the engine has been off for 4 hours. This gauge is shown by default every time the car is powered up. It's also manually resettable.
    • The "B" gauge is also manually resettable, and stores your cumulative fuel consumption until it is reset again.
    • To view the "B" gauge, see instructions in post #37, this thread.

Unfortunately, there's no "instant" fuel economy display in the MID of the 1.2L cars - something that could help fine tune accelerator pedal pressure in real time to save fuel.

But the Japanese market, higher-efficiency 1.0L Mirage comes with a graphical "instant" display. It's possible this may show up on the higher-efficiency 1.0L cars in other markets, eg. U.K. & Europe.

In Japan, it's called Eco Drive Assist:

To ensure good fuel efficiency while being driven, the Mirage employs Eco Drive Assist [on the "G" and "M" trim levels], which has a three-level meter to make it easy for drivers to monitor fuel efficiency levels while they are driving. The "E" trim Mirage uses an ECO lamp to indicate eco-friendly driving.
    It's better than nothing. A graphical display has both advantages & disadvantages over a numeric instant display. Faster mental processing is one advantage of a graphic (so, arguably it's safer), but compared to a numeric display, it lacks good information resolution.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-25-2021),CYY (01-12-2019),Eggman (09-18-2016),grsupercity (10-22-2013),Rick (03-24-2022),wilvs (03-24-2024)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I could make out the "Eco-meter" on the instrument cluster of my own car. I hope one of the future owners of the 1.0L Mirage could reverse engineer this feature; perhaps it can be enabled on the cars that don't officially have it.

At any rate, I'm planning to get a ScanGauge or UltraGauge anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

That's interesting. So is the Eco Drive Assist meter in the cluster to the right of the speedometer dial?

Reverse engineering or modding something to make that gauge functional would be neat.

It would also be good if someone used a ScanGauge or or equivalent to "calibrate" the bars on the Eco Drive Assist display, so you knew for example if 3 greens equals "3L/100 km or better" etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Great info here thanks. We just get the eco light on the dash in Oz. I will have to check the dash next time i look at a Mirage for sale and look for the Eco drive assist meter display. back when i had a few daihatsu charades the basic model i had did not have the digital clock compared to the higher spec car that did. Some looking around on the web and came accross info that said the clock was fitted to all charades and it was just not connected up to the wireing so did not work. So i had a look under the instrument cluster found two plugs that were not joined they pluged into each other and wow i had the digital clock
    The stealer i mean dealer would most likely charge you a small fortune to have your basic Charade fitted with the digital clock if you asked for that option and 30 seconds later they plug the connectors together job done

So my point being that maybe we could be lucky and have something easy like putting a plug together behinde the dash.

U.S/Canada: ECO light only, not the multi-bar gauge

The U.S. & Canadian Mirage does NOT get the full Eco Drive Assist system, like Japan/Europe/UK...

Instead, the CVT car (not the manual) gets a simple "ECO" light:

ECO STATUS INDICATOR LIGHT (CVT ONLY)

Designed to help you drive more efficiently, the ECO indicator light lets you know when you're driving the Mirage in an efficient manner. The longer you drive with the ECO light on, the better your fuel economy—and the greater your savings.

Source: Mitsu USA website

Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    A ha, nice to see the differences i also noticed the american one has red-orange glow on the dial while the europe version has a much nicer white light with blue "glow" or accent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I have the ECO meter installed, but actually it is just a vacuum gauge that shows how much the vacuum in your inlet manifold is reading, and thus how far you depress your accelerator pedal!!

As long as you depress your right foot just very little, it will light all the three green leaves......push it a little further and the green leaves start to go out untill the red leave turns ON...

Personally I think the shift indicator is more interesting, it shows you how low in rpm these newly designed engines will actually allow you to drive the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zefke View Post
    I have the ECO meter installed, but actually it is just a vacuum gauge that shows how much the vacuum in your inlet manifold is reading, and thus how far you depress your accelerator pedal!!

As long as you depress your right foot just very little, it will light all the three green leaves......push it a little further and the green leaves start to go out untill the red leave turns ON...

Personally I think the shift indicator is more interesting, it shows you how low in rpm these newly designed engines will actually allow you to drive the car.
    There is a shift indicator on your MID, although it's basically lit up when you're above 2000 rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-03-2013)

There is apparently a shift indicator in the Mirage 1.2 here as well. I didn't notice it in the one I drove ... and would probably have ignored it anyway.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I really never pay attention on the shift assistance indicator as it's basically just lit up when the rpm's above 2k. It doesn't know what kind of traffic am on so I dun bother looking at it.
    What i noticed is indeed the lack of outside temperature in some models, in the european models there is one.