Thread: Brand new car had ETACS replaced at 31km. Dealer hid it. Should I be concerned?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Brand new car had ETACS replaced at 31km. Dealer hid it. Should I be concerned?

EDIT: Spoke to the dealership and it is not an issue.

Last edited by vancouvermirage; 02-20-2021 at 10:29 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouvermirage View Post
    I just found out after viewing the service records of my car, that my car had its ETACS unit replaced at 31km. I bought it brand new with 72km on it. The dealer hid this fact from me (they also lied about those fog lights, lol). Is this something that is likely to cause issues? Should this have been disclosed to me?

cheers

EDIT: The law states dealers should disclose any damage worth more than $2000 or 20% of the car's value. How much would an ETACS replacement cost?
    If it wasn't working when they prepped the car, I would be thankful they replaced it before selling it.

Are fog lights listed on your window sticker?

What lights do you have?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-20-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouvermirage View Post
    I just found out after viewing the service records of my car, that my car had its ETACS unit replaced at 31km. I bought it brand new with 72km on it. The dealer hid this fact from me (they also lied about those fog lights, lol). Is this something that is likely to cause issues? Should this have been disclosed to me?

cheers

EDIT: The law states dealers should disclose any damage worth more than $2000 or 20% of the car's value. How much would an ETACS replacement cost?
    I'm no car expert, but 100% sure that should have been disclosed to you. And they were hiding it on purpose. I bet a replacement ETACS cost is like $4000. Replacing a lightbulb these days is like $900 on some new cars.

Dealerships in a nutshell: If they can get away with it, they do it. That is a dealership's motto. Another new unlucky customer walking in brand new every day. Candy store of cars pretty much. I think it's all fake from my experience. Trying to upsell anyway.

I thought I had to get my car serviced by Mitsubishi all the time for a few years. One of the new service staff at my local dealer obviously didn't know how to drive a manual and almost ran me over with my own Mirage. Maybe I was wandering around but that is not illegal. So I don't trust half the people I encounter to be honest when it comes to my car. What little I can figure out about my Mirage, I do it myself. And I mean I don't do any maintenance at all really on my car.

But I bet they want to charge an arm and a leg if the ETACs unit has been replaced, and the car was sold new? Or used? Call your lawyer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If it wasn't working when they prepped the car, I would be thankful they replaced it before selling it.

Are fog lights listed on your window sticker?

What lights do you have?
    You with your (un)common sense and rational thinking. Get with the times lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-20-2021),Top_Fuel (02-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    My ETACS went bad in my 2015 early on (less than 1000) miles. Was replaced and almost 6 years later not a hiccup.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-21-2021),MetroMPG (02-21-2021)