Thread: How to fix snorkel rattle permanently

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

How to fix snorkel rattle permanently

The snorkel assembly is actually three independant parts loosely connected allowing unwanted movement.
    The actual oval pipe and resonator box on the left is numbered piece one in the photo. The little round tube and oval in-between piece in the middle is numbered part two. The actual airfilter box on the right is called 3 in the picture.
    There are seams between each of those parts, and in a new car the seams are already loose and allow much movement. After some time, those seams become looser and looser. That results in more and more movement and subsequently it rattles. It becomes louder and louder over time.

Normally all three parts are simply clicked together as one, but they will soon rattle loudly due to unwanted movement at the seams. Just grab the snokel and move it up and down to check.
    Here is how to permanently and easily cure it once and for all.

Name:  threeparts.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  97.5 KB

When it first started rattling a few years ago, part one and two were stuck together with some black HT-silicone sealant. The same stuff used for sealing timing chain covers, oil pans, etc. If you look closely, you can see that black silicone in the picture above.
    Years later it was getting loose again, but this time at the seams between parts two and three. So the entire assy was washed in the kitchen sink with hot water and some dishwashing liquid, and the mating surfaces thoroughly cleaned. This time my left-over silicone was red in colour, so parts two and three were stuck together with red silicone. See below with fresh red silicone.

Name:  glued.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  87.9 KB

The entire assembly is now stuck together and nothing rattles any more. Since there is no possible need to separate these parts, they can stay that way for ever, a permanent fix to a common problem.
    The picture below shows all back in place.

Name:  installed.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  58.3 KB

EDIT 12/2023:
    No rattles since, siliconized seams all in perfect order.

Last edited by foama; 12-19-2023 at 09:46 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

craigq (02-13-2022),CROSSBOLT (02-12-2022),daleWV (02-23-2021),inuvik (02-22-2021),jimmy409 (03-03-2021),MetroMPG (07-15-2021),Tinker1980 (02-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The snorkel assembly is actually three parts and rattles easily. The actual oval pipe and resonator box on the left is numbered piece one in the photo. The little round tube and oval in-between piece in the middle is numbered part two in the photo. The actual airfilter box on the right is called 3 in the picture.

Name:  threeparts.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  97.5 KB
    I like to change my engine air filter every 30,000 miles.

I noticed some major rattling when changing my engine air filter today. Thus, I removed the air intake and resonator box assembly (only one bolt). I rattled the heck out of it, & I counted 52 walnuts in the back of Kawasaki Mule box when I was done. It took some excessive shaking to get the last couple out of the resonator box. None of them were eaten.

I noticed a few walnuts behind the air filter before, but nothing quite like this. I think my engine sounds quieter now!

If you park near walnut trees, this is your warning. My backyard is 72 acres of woods. Avoiding trees is difficult.

My engine air filter itself didn't look terribly dirty, but I change them out every 30,000 miles regardless. I look them over every 5,000 miles, because one never knows when a walnut convention may take place in one's Mirage!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

craigq (02-13-2022),foama (12-19-2023),inuvik (02-14-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good solution.

However, other than ease of assembly/manufacturing process (by braking down a big part into pieces, can anyone think of a reason why the engineers cut the 'airbox' into pieces?

I'm no engineer, but there has to be a reason. Though, I'm this close to just doing the same thing.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

I'm no engineer, but there has to be a reason. Though, I'm this close to just doing the same thing.

The resonator box tube goes very deep behind the air filter. there's probably some benefit to this that we dont understand. Manufacturing this as a single piece would make it difficult to mold that tube into the filter housing.

Also mitsubishi may have explored different intake snorkel designs. The newer models have the extra HP have a "cold" air intake guide which increases hp.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    one trick is to remove the metal spacer on the bushing so that the bolt will compressed the rubber more tightly..(this is just for the worn out rubber bushing)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    one trick is to remove the metal spacer on the bushing so that the bolt will compressed the rubber more tightly..(this is just for the worn out rubber bushing)
    I’ve seen one With this bushing you mentioned removed. The plastic around the screw had cracked from what I believe is fatigue. So this may not be the best idea. Dunno.