Thread: will 185/65/14 tires fit?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question will 185/65/14 tires fit?

Hello,

Im really intrested in buying michelin summer/all season tires. The smallest one i could find on their website is the Defender T+H tire its 185/65/14. i know from tiresize.com that it is 4.9% larger in diameter than the factory tire. I was wondering if anyone has actually tried a tire of this size?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    The best way to answer this question for any wheel/tire combination on a Mirage is to do the following:

1. Go to the website https://www.willtheyfit.com/

2. Input the values for the stock Mirage wheels (the numbers below are for Mirage 14 x 4.5" wheels)

Name:  existing.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  23.0 KB

3. Input the values for the new wheel and/or tire that you want to put on the car:

Name:  new.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  22.8 KB

4. Your new wheel/tire combination will be displayed over the old wheel/tire combination.

Name:  results.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  43.0 KB

Bottom Line:
    That 185-65-14 tire may be a little wide for a 4.5" wide wheel...but it will fit and won't rub.

For comparison...

I run a 15 x 6.5" wheel with a 40mm offset and 185-60-15 tires. This combination fits on a Mirage without rubbing anything on a stock suspension. This is probably close to the largest wheel/tire you can put on a Mirage without running into any clearance problems.

So whatever wheel and/or tire you're thinking about, just compare it to mine. If the footprint is equal to or less than mine, you know it will fit without any problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-16-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The best way to answer this question for any wheel/tire combination on a Mirage is to do the following:

1. Go to the website https://www.willtheyfit.com/

2. Input the values for the stock Mirage wheels (the numbers below are for Mirage 14 x 4.5" wheels)

Name:  existing.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  23.0 KB

3. Input the values for the new wheel and/or tire that you want to put on the car:

Name:  new.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  22.8 KB

4. Your new wheel/tire combination will be displayed over the old wheel/tire combination.

Name:  results.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  43.0 KB

Bottom Line:
    That 185-65-14 tire may be a little wide for a 4.5" wide wheel...but it will fit and won't rub.

For comparison...

I run a 15 x 6.5" wheel with a 40mm offset and 185-60-15 tires. This combination fits on a Mirage without rubbing anything on a stock suspension. This is probably close to the largest wheel/tire you can put on a Mirage without running into any clearance problems.

So whatever wheel and/or tire you're thinking about, just compare it to mine. If the footprint is equal to or less than mine, you know it will fit without any problems.
    Is your handling better with that set up? What about fuel usage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello,

Im really intrested in buying michelin summer/all season tires. The smallest one i could find on their website is the Defender T+H tire its 185/65/14. i know from tiresize.com that it is 4.9% larger in diameter than the factory tire. I was wondering if anyone has actually tried a tire of this size?
    I was glad to see Top Fuel shared his experience, because his current 185/60r15 (23.7") tires are about as close as you can get to the 185/65r14 (22.5") tires that you are considering. They have the exact same width and have a variance of -0.8% in diameter. Top Fuel current wheels are slightly larger, but they are also mounted on rims made for that tire width.

I assume that you are fond of Michelin tires. Michelin doesn't seem to be producing much for smaller economy cars these days. My dad's current GMC Terrian has Michelin. His first factory pair were horrible. He hated how noisy they were. The dealership agreed, and they were replaced before he reach 20,000 mile on them. He had to go with Michelin again to get free replacements, however. I haven't heard my dad complain about the second set yet. My dad is 80, & my parents don't drive as much. I've never heard my dad complain about tires before. Michelin has an excellent tire reputation, but I am not convinced every tire they produce is the perfect tire.

I am going to throw this out there. Uniroyal is owned by Michelin, & Uniroyal produces a number of tires that would be a much better fit for our Mirages. Several of these tires come with 65,000-80,000 mile warranty. Uniroyal Tiger Paws have been around for a long time, & they are quite common in Wisconsin. They have a good reputation for being better in snow than most other all-season tires.

If you considered Uniroyal as an option, you would be able to find 175/65r14 (23") and 185/60r14 (22.7") tires. I consider a 185/60r14 to be perfect match, because some Mirages come with 175/55r15 (22.6") tires & 185/60r14 (22.7") has a variance of only 0.4%.

I put 175/65r14 tire into the discussion, because they would fit your 14" x 4.5" rims better. If you desire a taller tire, the 175/65r14 (23") are taller than 185/60r14 (22.7"). Since buying a pair of steel rims from Dirk last summer, I realized the G4 comes with 14" x 5" steel rims, & those would fit better with 185 wide tires.

These are some Uniroyal examples I see without looking hard (all prices reflect free shipping). They are, however, USD prices -

Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring 175/65R14 82 T Tire - 70,000 mile for $60.09/tire @ tires-easy.com
    Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S All-Season 175/65-14 82 H - 700AA/75,000 mile for $68.26/tire @ walmart.com

Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S All-Season 185/60R14 82H - 700AA/75,000 mile for $59.50/tire @ walmart.com
    Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring TT 185/60R14 82 T - 80,000 mile warranty for $83.92/tire @ walmart.com

All of the above examples are less than a 3% variance of Mirage factory size tires.

Now, I only used two tire sources to find examples of prices. I am not promoting Walmart or Tires Easy. I just used them to see what's available & approximately how much they cost.

Uniroyal are not bad tires - This is what tires-easy.com says about the last one I listed -

"This listing is for new Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring TT P185/60R14 82T BSW Tires. Manufacturer part number: 72498. The Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring TT has a tread compound ideal for excellent traction at wet road conditions, also for low rolling resistance - improving the tire's mileage and life. Its tread makes it highly durable and the even pressure distribution keeps the tire's shape and makes it long lasting.

This tire features DuraShield® construction making it hardwearing and durable. It has excellent support for driving in all seasons because of its solid tread block stability. This features wide circumferential tread grooves for excellent water dispersion giving great traction and grip on wet road conditions. Its large shoulder tread blocks make the tire high-performance when it comes to control and stability. This also has stylish design for touring and luxury vehicles- it has black jagged sidewall design."

I share stuff like this for all to read. If someone likes Michelin tires, they may want to look at Uniroyal tires (owned by Michelin). Uniroyal caters to small economy cars better, and their tires may even be a better value. Uniroyal tires also do well in snow & low rolling resistance is even mentioned.

Just something to consider - for speedometer/odometer reasons alone I would consider 175/65r14 or 185/60r14 tires instead.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2021 at 05:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Is your handling better with that set up?
    Probably...but it's hard to evaluate the tires by themselves. I put these tires on at the same time I installed my Doax rear sway bar and 2017 struts/shocks/springs. So I changed a lot of stuff at one time.

What about fuel usage?
    With the slightly taller tires I'm running, my freeway cruising RPM has been reduced by about 200 RPMs. I think this may end up netting me a slight (maybe 2%) increase in fuel economy. I'll know for sure when it warms up. It's too hard to evaluate a change like this in the middle of winter with cold temps and crappy winter-blended fuel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)