Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manual transmissions die too (or are killed)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If my manual transmission fails some day, my next economy car won't be a Mitsubishi.
    Mark, I'm trying to wrap my head around your statement that if the manual transmission in your inexpensive econobox regardless of the mileage ever fails you wouldn't buy another Mitsubishi. Soooo, even if your Mirage went 500,000 miles / 800,000 km) that would be unacceptable? The Mirage is a machine. Machines wear out. As you well know, they aren't magic boxes that provide a lifetime of service. I fully expect my manual transmission to go out in my OS/RVR/ASX some day because it's a machine. I'll just replace it with another transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
    And here we are in the Philippines discussing what insulation to put behind the headliner to reduce the heat.

I guess our climate is transmission-friendly, but the airconditioner sucks here.
    Funny.

Good point, too. I'd bet money that synchro wear/failure gets more common with higher latitude.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I believe there was a period of time where his car was run with low transmission fluid. And with how many miles it's driven, that could have caused it some severe issues.
    I don't know of any Mirage on the forum where someone shared/documented all that was done to their Mirage more than Steve. If a headlight when out, we were hearing about it.

I recall someone feeling their car had low transmission fluid from the factory, but that wasn't Steve. You would have to find that in his thread for me to believe that. I know Steve had a replacement clutch on his shelf, but a dose Techron fuel cleaner solved that problem. That issue at the time wasn't his clutch. I also have to believe Steve drove mostly highway miles to rack up that many miles.

I would not expect a manual transmission to fail, unless it didn't have oil like you said. Steve didn't replace his transmission oil very frequently, & I remember calling him on that. I don't recall low oil being an issue for his Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You would have to find that in his thread for me to believe that.
    Name:  this took too long.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  96.9 KB

There you go. I want my 10 minutes of time back haha.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-23-2021),Mark (02-23-2021),MetroMPG (02-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Name:  this took too long.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  96.9 KB

There you go. I want my 10 minutes of time back haha.
    That's good to know! Thanks for finding that! Sorry, I can't give you your 10-minutes back, but you may have restored my faith in the Mirage manual transmission some now! I am forever grateful for that, & I hope that means something at least. If we ever cross paths, the first round is on me!

I really don't expect a manual transmission to go bad. The clutch is surely a wear item that may need to be replaced, but even those should last a long time if not abused. If a well maintained manual transmission goes bad, I would switch brands. I'm not very loyal to car companies. I use to favor Honda, but they are putting out products that I wouldn't buy these days, too!

You can also claim your memory is better than mine now, too! Thanks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, we're back in the 40F range again and the 1-2 shift is very smooth again. Will still be changing to Redline at 50k, but I'd say this validates the hypothesis of the manual's cold weather shift reluctance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am not going to lie. I am surprised that my clutch and transmission are still functional. I redline my car at least 3 times daily and force some shifts. My car has always stuttered when reversing since day one and I have no idea why. I replaced my transmission fluid at 30k miles with redline and topped it up once since.

I have ground gears a few times and thought I may have chipped some teeth. The mirage really is an amazing car for the money having survived my abuse for 94k miles now.

The only real issue I am having now is the shift lever bushings wearing and not allowing the stick to self center. I have re applied some of the lubrication with a little improvement. I am debating on trying to fit a vw shift tower for better feel and to get away from the extremely flexible plastic assembly that Mitsubishi thought would last. If I ever get around to it I will try to post a how to for the modification thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BecauseRaceCar For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-26-2021)

Added another

Added dustyb's grenaded trans as another example. (See link in post#1)

Though he freely admits he abused the car and didn't change the trans oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

And just like that, 5 speeds are the new cvt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-10-2021),Top_Fuel (03-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    And just like that, 5 speeds are the new cvt.
    What day does the support group meet? Probably more used cvt out there than 5 speeds. Can't imagine one would cost too much from LQK

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-10-2021)