Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rattle/Buzz from under steering wheel under engine load.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a random rattle while doing about 20MPH from the front right. Goes away at idle or 35+MPH

If it's anything like this and it was my employers vehicle it probably wouldn't even be worth it to complain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipperofgas View Post
    Under engine load around 4k rpm I have this noise that sounds like a wire bumping on plastic very quickly (almost buzz like). I have tried to find it for the past month, and cannot find it. It won't occur if the car is in park.

Anyone deal with something like this ?
    I get dash rattles in my Mirage, usually around the passenger airbag area, but recently under the instrument panel. Cold to warm weather changes during winter seems to do it. I'm not sure what it is, but goes away, comes back. Annoying but this car is prone to dash rattles. If that's the rattle you're referring to. Cheers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Neither one of mine have any rattles. The air cleaner was rattling on the black car, the snorkel was zip tied but the air cleaner itself rattled. I'm pretty sure I just removed the metal spacers from the rubber mount bushing and added another washer so the bolts don't poke through the valve cover into the engine. Everything is still tight on the white car with the snorkel zip tied at the end since I bought it.

I remember someone claiming their brake lines were rattling under the car just behind where the firewall meets the floor. I've yet to see them make noise but anything is possible, they just sit in a metal bracket with nothing to keep them snug. I just figured if it was gonna make noise I would have seen it happen by meow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    https://youtube.com/shorts/rm-aCd1IjIY
    I posted a short video of the rattle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sipperofgas For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-03-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

That almost sounds like an old speedometer cable vibration. Weird. As an aside, I've had interior buzzing noises that I tracked down to items in the console storage area before. Just a thought.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That sounds exactly like the rattle/buzz in my car! I'm still trying to track it down, will keep you posted if I have any luck.

So when does it do it? Under light throttle? I finally listened to the video.
    It sounds like a resonance to me.
    I know someone said they checked the exhaust hanger(s) But did you actually jack the car up, crawl under it and look at the rubber exhaust hanger ahead of the rh rear wheel. The rubber part wears out where it mounts on the peg that's welded to the car. You can't tell it's trashed by just looking at it. You gotta actually lift the exhaust up and down, if the rubber isn't tight on the peg then it'll cause the car to rattle and vibrate at a certain rpm. And it only seems to do it while driving, not while revving in neutral.
    Sounds stupid, but I've seen it happen on almost every 2017+ Mirage.
    Could be one of the heat shields on one of the cats.
    Can you get it to make the noise while in neutral? Does it vibrate the car at all or just make a noise?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Before doing a time consuming search, I would check two things:

A) The intake snorkel. You could simply remove it for a quick check.

B) The lower heatshied, the one just behind the catalyst and before the muffler. Tap it lightly to check.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i'll jack up the car and check some time this week. I'll check the snorkel today i think. It happens around 2.5-3k rpm.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Snorkel is zip tied down. It was loose, but i don't see how that noise can translate into the cabin. I will find out my next drive.