Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rattle/Buzz from under steering wheel under engine load.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    mine has a similar noise coming from the lower column area... when I did the stereo install I was nowhere in that area...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I have a random rattle while doing about 20MPH from the front right. Goes away at idle or 35+MPH

If it's anything like this and it was my employers vehicle it probably wouldn't even be worth it to complain.
    I find either people don't complain when there is a problem that I should know about before it leaves them stranded or worse, and then there ones on the other end of the spectrum who complain about things when there isn't a problem.

Like the eco light coming on, or the green temp light being on when it's cold.....One driver even had me come outside in -30c to look at the engine while it's idling because it's shaky. Others complain about flat tires when they're not flat, funny smells when the floor is covered in their lunch from the past 6 months or complain cause the heated mirrors don't work(our work cars don't have heated mirrors). One complained about having a cracked windshield, I had a guy come and replace it. A few weeks later I brought it in for a service and saw the windshield was cracked to ****. I told the driver "too bad you didn't see that chip otherwise I probably could have stopped that from happening". Morons response- " I did see it, I just didn't think we bothered fixing windshield chips so I didn't say anything". It's worse than the old one was now. f him. he can ace venture it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (03-31-2021),mohammad (07-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Well the rattle is still there! It's not the intake snorkle, and it's not the exhaust hangar. It's something in the interior. Some cable behind the plastic panels near the steering column is what it sounds like.

All bad jokes aside, have you checked your brake lines? Near where the firewall meets the floor(drivers side)there's a bracket that it's possible could cause some weird noise like that. I haven't ran into that before but legend has it, it's really a possibility.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the car in the garage so I might as well check.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any updates? I have the same exact rattle in my new 2022 mirage. Annoying the crap outa me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 41.3 mpg (US) ... 17.6 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never found the cause. But if you love music, what you can do is get yourself a subwoofer in the back. Loud enough to drown out the buzz and every other noise this lovely little car makes. I highly recommend a JL Audio ACP108LG-W3v3 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136933...v3.html?tp=114 The gauge wire required is small enough to not require any cutting really. It routes through the right side of the engine bay down into the wheel well area, then route the wire under the trims to the trunk. It fits neatly into the tray in the trunk. And it sounds great. With a remote wire to control the bass you can enjoy rap/hip hop and rock at the same time because when it's set good for rap and hip hop it's too low for rock music. Anyways consider this problem unsolved for now. But that's my solution to overcome it and the other noise shortcomings of this great little car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed my stereo system in the first 5,000 miles and noticed the rattle soon after and blamed my install.
    HOWEVER, at my 45,000 mile maintenance, I took of the air snorkel which felt really lose when moving it by hand and drove it for 20-30 minutes. THIS WAS THE SOURCE OF THE RATTLE. There was no rattle/buzz when I drove without it but the noise cam back when I reinstalled. I have yet to pursue a fix for this but there are threads on different ways to correct the issue. I may duplicate a previous fix or drive without it. I haven't found anything saying it was detrimental to either the engine or MPG.

The quick and fast way is to just zip tie the snorkle to the wiring harness or pcv hose. But if it's too far gone more will need to be done. I recommend tossing a zip tie on there right from new to stop or slow down the floppy diving board effect wearing everything out. Or try just leaving it removed.
    Mirage videos:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Guys I finally found the culprit after two years of dealing with it in my car, and constantly poking under the dash. I had the exact same noise as in the videos and the dealership kept saying it was normal. I was washing my car today and spraying down the undercarriage when I heard the noise so I started poking around afterwards, it's the break lines that run directly undneath the drivers seat through a metal bracket near the front wheel I used a zip tie to pull the lines a little closer together to keep them snug, the noise is gone now and I am so happy. Hope this helps anyone that is bothered by it like me

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 41.3 mpg (US) ... 17.6 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LilNuggie For This Useful Post:

7milesout (02-05-2024),Basic (02-03-2024),BigMW (02-03-2024),Fummins (02-03-2024),inuvik (02-05-2024)