Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rattle/Buzz from under steering wheel under engine load.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Rattle/Buzz from under steering wheel under engine load.

Under engine load around 4k rpm I have this noise that sounds like a wire bumping on plastic very quickly (almost buzz like). I have tried to find it for the past month, and cannot find it. It won't occur if the car is in park.

Anyone deal with something like this ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipperofgas View Post
    Under engine load around 4k rpm I have this noise that sounds like a wire bumping on plastic very quickly (almost buzz like). I have tried to find it for the past month, and cannot find it. It won't occur if the car is in park.

Anyone deal with something like this ?
    Sounds like it could be your exhaust hangers.

What model year do you have? Also, would you consider making a forum Garage entry?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have noticed the exact same thing in mine now for almost a year. I have a 2019 ES 5spd, and as you said it sounds like a buzzing noise (loose plastic or wiring) and only under load (nothing while idling). I poked all around under the steering wheel and have taken off several of the plastic bits to see if I can find what could be loose but no dice. I haven't noticed any other squeaks or rattles while driving, just this one, and it can be annoying if not drowned out by the radio. Hopefully someone has an idea.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodySpaceStar View Post
    Hopefully someone has an idea.
    Try checking your exhaust hangers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I know it sounds like egg isn’t running on all cylinders but here’s what he’s talking about https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...exhaust-hanger

Rubber hanger under the car 2nd from the rear. Rubber hole on the body side wears out and can cause weird vibrations and noise. You can also get weird noises if you bottom out your car and tweak the exhaust out of place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exhaust hangers check out, no issues there. The rattle/buzzing sound I'm getting is definitely from inside the car, somewhere under the steering column. I'm going to keep poking around to see if there is something loose.

Gotcha. I don't have any other useless info for you. Other than.. I know sounds can be a pita to track, I don't suppose your aircleaner rattling around could be what you're hearing? The snorkels are the first to vibrate(if not zip tied down early on) and wear inside the airbox then the airbox itself wears away where it bolts down. But that won't make the steering column buzz.

I have a couple 2019's here at work but haven't gotten any complaints from those drivers. Yet.

The exhaust rattle(hanger) problem would make noise under light load and full throttle only when driving and iirc I couldn't get it to make noise while parked, only while moving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-19-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Could be your engine filter box on top of your engine. There is a screw on the back that can vibrate out, it did on mine at least. I just put another screw in too tighten the box. Stopped the weird vibrating noise well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodySpaceStar View Post
    I have noticed the exact same thing in mine now for almost a year. I have a 2019 ES 5spd, and as you said it sounds like a buzzing noise (loose plastic or wiring) and only under load (nothing while idling). I poked all around under the steering wheel and have taken off several of the plastic bits to see if I can find what could be loose but no dice. I haven't noticed any other squeaks or rattles while driving, just this one, and it can be annoying if not drowned out by the radio. Hopefully someone has an idea.
    Omg we have the same thing. I was poking all around the steering wheel area since it seems that's where it's coming from. I just drown it out with music or radio.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Gotcha. I don't have any other useless info for you..
    You're getting modest in your old age! Not to hijack the thread, but anyone ever get a random plasticky rattle at idle when the condenser fan kicks on?