Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to set door locks to auto lock on a 2018 Mirage es

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

How to set door locks to auto lock on a 2018 Mirage es

How to set door locks to auto lock on a 2018 Mirage ES They use to lock by them selves after A few minutes when I walked away. Now I have to hit the button on the key. Thanks for help.

Last edited by Wolf; 02-23-2021 at 05:00 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    How to set door locks to auto lock on a 2018 Mirage ES They use to lock by them selves after A few minutes when I walked away. Now I have to hit the button on the key. Thanks for help.
    I never heard of a car having automatic door locks. Some cars lock the doors automatically when you are in the car & start it. Some wait until you take the car out of park or the car reaches a certain speed, & then the car doors lock. The Mirage has none of those feature. Thank God! I hate that feature!

I've never heard of a car automatically locking itself when you walk away. If you use your remote entry to the unlock the car & don't open a door within a certain time period, the car will automatically lock itself back up. Once you open any of the five doors (hatch included), that automatic locking feature is disabled. If my Mirage locked itself automatically whenever I walked away from it, I would be searching for which fuse to pull.

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't think anyone is going to help you on this one. The main (only) purpose of having keyless remote entry is pushing the button!
    Last edited by Mark; 02-23-2021 at 06:09 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Very strange.It use to do exactly that. In case you forgot to lock your doors it would auto lock. I personally love this feature. Also if you leave your keys in ignition and you walk away they would not lock so that kept you from locking your keys in the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very strange.It use to do exactly that. In case you forgot to lock your doors it would auto lock. I personally love this feature. Also if you leave your keys in ignition and you walk away they would not lock so that kept you from locking your keys in the car.
    I don't find that strange at all. I don't want my car to lock itself when it's park in my yard or in my garage. Imagine unloading groceries or something & having to unlock you car every time you went back outside to get another handful of stuff. That would SUCK!

Manual door locks are when you have to manipulate the lock on each door manually. There's nothing electrical about manual door locks. Some of the base model Mirages in Canada have manual door locks, and that is why it is covered in the Mirage owner's manual.

All Mirages in the States have automatic door locks, but it still requires pushing the lock button on driver/passenger door armrest or using the lock button on your remote. The fact that all the doors lock with the push of a single button is why we call them automatic door locks. Personally, I prefer calling it power door locks.

Dspace9 has a base model Mirage (Canada). If he wants to lock up his Mirage, he must manually lock each door on his Mirage individually. Whereas, you can push one button on your door armrest or remote to lock up your entire car.

If you leave your keys in the ignition, the driver's door will not lock up. That is a nice feature. I make it a habit of locking my Mirage with my remote (not the door lock button). That way I know my keys are in my hands & not left in the car somewhere.

I own a 2017 ES, & it has never done what you describe. I could hit the lock button & then hit the unlock button. When I walk away, my Mirage would automatically lock itself back up then (provided I didn't open any doors before walking away).

If you feel the Mirage has an automatic locking feature like you described, I would appreciate you sharing what the owner's manual has to say about it?
    Last edited by Mark; 02-23-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I didnt say you were strange I said It was strange that it happened to me.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This is what I got off internet.

While your car’s Auto Lock feature is designed to provide enhanced safety and protection while the car is in motion on the road, you may find it necessary to deactivate it at some point. You’ll need to know how to do that, as well as how to reactivate the system later. Here’s how:

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to on.

Press the Unlock button three times.

Turn the ignition off.

Press the Unlock button three more times.

Turn the ignition back to on.

The horn should beep once. This tells you that you’re now in programming mode.

Press the Unlock button, then press Lock again. The horn will beep once to tell you that Auto Lock was deactivated. It will beep twice if you’re reactivating the system.

Turn the ignition back to off and listen for the horn to beep one time confirming that the programming was accepted.
    --------------------------------------------------
    If your vehicle has the keyless entry pad on the driver’s door you can use this procedure.

Key off, out of the ignition and al the door closed

Enter the factory 5 digit code.]

Press the 3.4 button and hold.

Press and release the 7.8 button while still holding 3.4 button

Press 7-8 again while still holding the 3.4 button

Release the 3.4 button

The horn should sound once to indicate disable or twice for enabled

Country
    United States
    Thanks

While your car’s Auto Lock feature is designed to provide enhanced safety and protection while the car is in motion on the road, you may find it necessary to deactivate it at some point.
    I don't want to seem like I am picking on you, but please explain how this has anything to do with walking away from your car & it automatically locks.

If I want my Mirage to automatically lock itself, I must push lock button and then push the unlock button. If I don't open a door within a certain time, my Mirage will lock up automatically. You must push two buttons (lock & unlock) to make what you are describing happen.

The logic I believe is this - you lock your car with your remote lock button & as you walk away you stick your keys in your pocket & accidentally hit the unlock button. In this type of situation, the car will automatically lock itself again.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse here. Where's Fummins when I need him!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    They use to lock by them selves after A few minutes when I walked away.
    This is a common feature in most new cars with push button start. It's (almost) impossible to lock yourself out because the computer knows the fob is still inside the car and will prevent you from doing it. Sometimes cars with this ability give you a way to turn this function on/off.

I was not aware that the Mirage ever had this function...but that doesn't mean it didn't.

On a related note... At least a couple of forum members in other countries have enabled speed-sensitive auto-locking in a Mirage. So when the car reaches a specific speed, the car automatically locks the doors. I assume this is another obscure ETACS setting (which may or may not be available in North America). Anyway, HERE is a video showing it work.

Also check out THIS thread that has more details about the same door locking function.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-23-2021 at 12:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

While your car’s Auto Lock feature is designed to provide enhanced safety and protection while the car is in motion on the road, you may find it necessary to deactivate it at some point. You’ll need to know how to do that, as well as how to reactivate the system later. Here’s how:

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to on.

Press the Unlock button three times.

Turn the ignition off.

Press the Unlock button three more times.

Turn the ignition back to on.

The horn should beep once. This tells you that you’re now in programming mode.

Press the Unlock button, then press Lock again. The horn will beep once to tell you that Auto Lock was deactivated. It will beep twice if you’re reactivating the system.

Turn the ignition back to off and listen for the horn to beep one time confirming that the programming was accepted.
    --------------------------------------------------
    If your vehicle has the keyless entry pad on the driver’s door you can use this procedure.

Key off, out of the ignition and al the door closed

Enter the factory 5 digit code.]

Press the 3.4 button and hold.

Press and release the 7.8 button while still holding 3.4 button

Press 7-8 again while still holding the 3.4 button

Release the 3.4 button

The horn should sound once to indicate disable or twice for enabled
    Are you talking about the feature that will lock the doors if you hit unlock on the key fob but don't open a door within 30seconds(to a minute?)?? That's the closest thing that makes any sense to me. I would hope that could be shut off, I know I was able to make it so it unlocked all the doors at the same time after hitting unlock once.

Unfortunately the instructions you posted for a random Ford will not work on a Mitsubishi.

I gotta ask, what were your previous vehicles?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't want to seem like I am picking on you, but please explain how this has anything to do with walking away from your car & it automatically locks.

If I want my Mirage to automatically lock itself, I must push lock button and then push the unlock button. If I don't open a door within a certain time, my Mirage will lock up automatically. You must push two buttons (lock & unlock) to make what you are describing happen.

The logic I believe is this - you lock your car with your remote lock button & as you walk away you stick your keys in your pocket & accidentally hit the unlock button. In this type of situation, the car will automatically lock itself again.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse here. Where's Fummins when I need him!!!!
    I guess I shoulda read the entire thread first....

Did someone say dead horse?

The cars we have here and my own have regular keys with a keyless entry fob in the head of the key. If you hit unlock and don't open a door relatively quickly they lock on their own. No need to hit lock first.

Keyless cars might be different but up here I believe you gotta buy the race car edition(GT) to get that feature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)