Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: -20 cold winter night, Mirage's heater sucks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

-20 cold winter night, Mirage's heater sucks

Anyone drive their Mirage late at night in -20 C weather? Like 10 F...

Seems like I either have heat, and a fogging windshield; or a clear windshield, and only a little tiny amount of heat coming out of the vents. Seems like it's an either/or. I usually choose a clear windshield.

Mirage starts up great at night, and runs fine in the cold, minus the plastic ricketting on the dash.

Only a problem is lack of heat when it's truly cold, cold to the point that the pixel'y digital radio screen kinda "shutters" when you change the volume. That's the sign it's cold.

No solutions really to be seen, but I just wanted to point out that our lovely Mirage's have crappy heaters. Then again I think the Mirage is in its prime in warm clime's, and I'm just a cheapo to drive it year round in Canada. Has been a great commuter for 7 years, you just just need winter gloves and a jacket.

I get home and see those new Lincoln ads with steaming coffee in the cupholder, and -25 outside, and I think to myself, ugh lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Anyone drive their Mirage late at night in -20 C weather? Like 10 F...

Seems like I either have heat, and a fogging windshield; or a clear windshield, and only a little tiny amount of heat coming out of the vents. Seems like it's an either/or. I usually choose a clear windshield.

Mirage starts up great at night, and runs fine in the cold, minus the plastic ricketting on the dash.

Only a problem is lack of heat when it's truly cold, cold to the point that the pixel'y digital radio screen kinda "shutters" when you change the volume. That's the sign it's cold.

No solutions really to be seen, but I just wanted to point out that our lovely Mirage's have crappy heaters. Then again I think the Mirage is in its prime in warm clime's, and I'm just a cheapo to drive it year round in Canada. Has been a great commuter for 7 years, you just just need winter gloves and a jacket.

I get home and see those new Lincoln ads with steaming coffee in the cupholder, and -25 outside, and I think to myself, ugh lol.
    I cannot remember if you have A/C or not.

I took mine to Whitehorse last winter and it hit -37F at one point and I had no issue. I was toasty.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I cannot remember if you have A/C or not.

I took mine to Whitehorse last winter and it hit -37F at one point and I had no issue. I was toasty.
    I have no AC. But I'm talking about winter driving lol.

I'm not sure how you possibly were toasty in a Mirage at -37, but maybe they upgraded the heaters. Mine is 2014 but 2013 build. I dunno, my heater is not great. Barely adequate, leaves something to be desired.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have no AC. But I'm talking about winter driving lol.

I'm not sure how you possibly were toasty in a Mirage at -37, but maybe they upgraded the heaters. Mine is 2014 but 2013 build. I dunno, my heater is not great. Barely adequate, leaves something to be desired.
    The A/C runs with heat on defrost, and keeps the fog from happening.

That's why I asked.
    (blank signature)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-10-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe I shouldn't of cheaped out haha. More of a complaint, not much I can do about it. Whitehorse eh.. I have always wanted to visit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Have you checked your car for a restricted heater core?

Get the car up to operating temperature, turn on max heat out of the dash vents, and measure the air temperature from the far left and right vents. The temperatures should be identical.

Name:  heatercore.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  27.9 KB

If the right vent is a lot colder (10+ degrees) than the left vent, your heater core is probably restricted internally with the magic Mitsubishi goo...

Name:  goo2.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  48.8 KB

I have this condition and my car is fine down to about 0F. -20? I would be cold and my front passenger would be freezing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-10-2021),MetroMPG (02-18-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will check tonight on the way home. Thanks Top Fuel, and Alex1a1f.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's a PDF file attached to THIS post. It describes (in more detail) how to run the heater core test.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah, you have an issue. It was -22C this AM when I left for work (20KM 1 way) & I had no issue. As Top Fuel says, check your vent temps. Also do you have a way to monitor engine temp in case the T-stat is malfunctioning? I monitor mine on a scanguage & it was ~165 to 190F during my trip today...Also, can you check the adjustment on the cable for the blend door for the heater to verify it's moving the door all the way to heat??? (If you have manual HVAC). Also, the good old "Check your cabin filter".. Also make sure there isn't a build up of ice & snow @ the bottom of the windshield / hood area as this is where your fresh air enters the heater from outside... & please make sure your antifreeze is correct strength, not too thin & not pure antifreeze straight from the jug. Sorry for the long post, but it sucks being cold. I know, I have a VW beetle
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    ...do you have a way to monitor engine temp...
    ...I monitor mine on a scanguage & it was ~165 to 190F during my trip today...
    That's a great point. I'm pretty much running a 100% grill block and this point, too.