Thread: What our 3-Tapper sounds like...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts

What our 3-Tapper sounds like...

The other day, I'm rowing through the gears pleasantly, and it dawned on me what our 3-Tapper sounds like. (3-Tapper because it doesn't have enough power to bang ... it just taps.)

It sounds nicer than an inline 4. What it sounds like, while not as loud, is a 2-Stroke Detroit diesel engine.

I guess it makes sense, we have 3 cylinders turning fast. Where a 2-Stroke diesel is likely turning slower, but has an ignition stroke twice as often as our 4 stroke. Leaving the vastly different engines sounding similarly.

Below is an example of the sound. I just found this on a cursory search, I'm sure there are better examples. But I liked this one because the dude driving the truck acts and drives a lot like me as I'm leaving work for the day.

Note when he coasts it off rolling backward, the engine is actually running ... in the opposite direction as normal, so it smokes out the intake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vt5UHgt1e4

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've always thought it similar to this sewing machine...same hp, too.

https://youtu.be/UyrTSp4ROGk

Anyone have any experience with 6-cyl Porsche boxer engines?

One U.S. reviewer early on commented that the Mirage triple sounds like half a boxer 6.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    One U.S. reviewer early on commented that the Mirage triple sounds like half a boxer 6.
    He was WRONG, and I am RIGHT!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-23-2021)

I rode in an older 6-cyl 911 years ago. I remember the engine was loud and sounded like a garbage truck. But my biggest memory was the BRAKES. Holy carp that thing could stop fast!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am glad you know! It sounds EXACTLY like a baby 3-71 Detroit. I have said it from Day 1 with mine in 2014.

We have 3-71s in some old antique tractors and its remarkable. Just like it. I LOVE IT
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I am glad you know! It sounds EXACTLY like a baby 3-71 Detroit. I have said it from Day 1 with mine in 2014.

We have 3-71s in some old antique tractors and its remarkable. Just like it. I LOVE IT
    I had to look up a 3-71 Detroit. I haven't been to a tractor pull in decades. Found a couple doing their thing below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5HUwwGzeM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

gone.a (02-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Kinda has that not-quite-rough, but not quite smooth vibe of a V6.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with the Porsche sound. That's the first place my mind went. I think it has something to do with the way the crank pins are situated on the crank shaft.

Similar can be said for the flat plane Ford V8. Sounds similar to what my SRT4 engine sounded like. Also cross plane 4 cylinder engines. Those sound a bit like a regular old V8
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We have a giant Hyster forklift at work with a 6-71 in it. I think you're on to something here.