Thread: Check DTCs

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Check DTCs

Is there a method to check DTC/MIL without a code reader? Other vehicles I’ve owned have had sequences that could be performed to display these codes in the vehicle information center.

Recently had the check engine light illuminate. My gut is that it’s related to some new led lights I installed, but won’t know without the code.

No, you need a code reader or scan tool.

Led brake lights usually throw brake or traction control codes. Other wise led's using Led's as tail,park,reverse or headlights shouldn't cause any check engine lights.

If you have crap plugged into the obdII port then that'll often throw random codes and have drive-ability issues.

I'd ask what year your car is and mileage but it doesn't matter if you don't know what the code is.

Edit: I see you have a 2015 and had problems with the steering wheel controls lately.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-23-2021 at 10:17 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You’re right, 2015 🙂

I’ve got a little over 60K miles and the only recent changes: (1) replacing broken fog lights with led units and (2) replacing oem headlight bulbs with leds. Headlights were last by maybe a day or two.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Along the lines of what Fummins advised...

If you pull those DTCs and they don't seem make any sense, do the following before you start chasing crazy codes:

1) Remove anything connected to the OBDII port...especially if it is a Bluetooth device
    2) If you have changed any light bulbs to LED or whatever, put the stock bulbs back in
    3) Verify that all brake lights and reverse lights are working properly
    4) Verify that no fuses are blown (check engine compartment and interior fuse panels)

Multiple forum members have discovered (the hard way) that these cars have really sensitive electrical circuits. Even a single LED bulb in the wrong place can induce all sorts of weird behavior.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Along the lines of what Fummins advised...

If you pull those DTCs and they don't seem make any sense, do the following before you start chasing crazy codes:

1) Remove anything connected to the OBDII port...especially if it is a Bluetooth device
    2) If you have changed any light bulbs to LED or whatever, put the stock bulbs back in
    3) Verify that all brake lights and reverse lights are working properly
    4) Verify that no fuses are blown (check engine compartment and interior fuse panels)

Multiple forum members have discovered (the hard way) that these cars have really sensitive electrical circuits. Even a single LED bulb in the wrong place can induce all sorts of weird behavior.
    Checked codes, yesterday. Received P0455. Seems like a typical "vacuum leak code." Checked the gas cap. As odd as it sounds, it seems the cap had "blown off." I have no idea why. The cap was loose, and there was what appeared to be spray on the fuel filler door from the filler neck. Never seen anything like this.

Replaced the cap and properly tightened. Have driven quite a bit, but the MIL is still present. Will check the codes again, today, to see if there is any change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    That is a typical "gas cap is not on tight" code. If you have a tool to read codes (and the tool can also clear codes), then just clear it and see if it comes back.

It may take multiple drive cycles for a code like that to go away on its own. So if you don't clear it, you may be staring at a check engine light for the next couple of weeks (or longer).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

What Top Fuel said.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)