Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was sick of getting 14mpg daily, so........

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Start your own your "manual only" driving school.
    Given today's auto market, I don't think that would go over very well!

Like I said in another thread, you must take your driving test with a manual transmission in some countries. Otherwise, your driver's license will come with restrictions. That doesn't apply to us, unless you are getting your CDL (commercial driver's license).

If we had a manual car in our fleet, I would surely use one for those interested.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's getting better.....

415mi on the car. A bit warmer today 53 during drive. This was a nice cruise of 45-48ish avg.

Was going up but ended the drive.

I'm liking this cvt so far. With my driving style it has proven a good fit, just light acceleration and braking. Very quiet not rubber banding or droning sounds etc.

I think when cvts are driven hard they don't hold up as easily but if you drive them very casually they should be under low stress. And they seem to run cooler than an automatic. This one runs like 165-167 but that could change come summer I'm sure.

I've yet to need to rev over 2,800rpm yet.

Name:  20210309_092257.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  94.1 KB
    Last edited by Pryme; 03-09-2021 at 02:41 PM.

I'm curious to see what your actual numbers will be when you fill it up compared to the displayed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    It will be ~92.4% of displayed ... fo' real.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm curious to see what your actual numbers will be when you fill it up compared to the displayed.
    I posted my first full tank. Got 35mpg on the tank.

Summer will be the best possible time due to car having probably 1,500 or so miles by then plus warm temps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One thing I forgot to mention. This car rolls on the same tires the mirage has....enasaves!

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I'm liking this cvt so far. With my driving style it has proven a good fit, just light acceleration and braking. Very quiet not rubber banding or droning sounds etc.
    My neighbour has the same car - could be twins.

If I'm not mistaken, your CVT is Toyota's new style with a physical first gear - it only shifts onto the rubber bands after you get the car moving. So it feels/sounds/drives like a normal car when you take off from a stop and at lower speeds. Reduces the "motorboating" noises/sensations and probably has less wear too.

Toyota's engineers are smarter than Nissan's (Jatco).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    This one runs like 165-167...
    Was the trans fluid temperature an available gauge...or did you have to add an X-Gauge? If I had a car with a CVT, I'd figure out how to monitor the fluid temp for sure. I'm not sure anyone has done it in a Mirage (other than with a scan tool).

This car rolls on the same tires the mirage has....enasaves!
    I'm sorry to hear that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You'd think that would be true. Having been a design engineer for Toyota, it's not ALL about the intelligence, it's actually more about the mindset on how to approach and resolve issues. I can tell you that Toyota's system to analyze a situation that calls for a decision to be made is on a whole other planet than other OEMs. For the American's, the decision is based on bean counting nearly exclusively. For Toyota, the focus is MUCH MORE focused on the effect to the customer's experience and feeling about their Toyota vehicle. Toyota might drive some people (former American OEM engineers) nuts on how thoroughly they go about resolving what seems to be very simple issues. There is a process.

Most OEMs have really smart design engineers at their development centers and orangutans for their "XXX Motor Sales, Service Departments." But, for example, Hyundai-Kia trains their workers to approach a problem like a neanderthal with a club and duct tape. And Dodge / Chrysler have actual real car guys at their development center (CTC I think they call it). And they do awesome stuff. The rest of the downstream Dodge / Chrysler business centers blow it all to hell. Par for the course for most OEMs. Even Toyota's Service is employed with orangutans. Yet they have MUCH BETTER hardware to beat and bash on than other OEM service orangutans have.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    My neighbour has the same car - could be twins.

If I'm not mistaken, your CVT is Toyota's new style with a physical first gear - it only shifts onto the rubber bands after you get the car moving. So it feels/sounds/drives like a normal car when you take off from a stop and at lower speeds. Reduces the "motorboating" noises/sensations and probably has less wear too.

That's only in the models with the new 2.0L. Which is a direct injection/port combo set up. Sounds complicated so I actually seeked out the LE which still uses the tried and true 1.8L and the non gear start cvt. I think it's called the D313 model. Plus the LE is a couple thousand less. Win win. My LE has the premium package though so it gets most of the features the SE has anyway.

I still don't get any rubber banding but I have never let her rip yet either.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-16-2021)