Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 mirage es: advice for switching to LED headlights?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $240!!! Woah, long as they light up the road like the sun then l can justify the price...anyway hope they help with lighting up the night

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah $240 seems expensive, but if it meant you didn't have to mess with anything and have someone to go to if anything ever breaks, then it's probably worth it. Time is money, after all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-28-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just wanted to add a couple things to this new(er) thread, since I just went through this.

In another post on this forum this Sealight model was recommended. I Bought these first, and they looked great, but there was some radio interference on a station that is far away, but still clear enough, and the only one I really have any interest in listening to. I read up on the interference problem with LEDs, and tried out some ferrite chokes, to no avail. So I bought a few other similarly priced models of LED Headlights, of varying brands. None of the other ones worked as well as the first Sealights, with light "spill" and "focus" all over the place. So, I put the original Sealights back in and just listen to all my radio through the bluetooth connection, from my phone, which is what I normally do 90% of the time anyways!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As to some of the folks saying LED headlights are not needed. This is the first car I have ever installed LED headlights in, and none of our other cars ever had them from the factory. The LEDs vs Halogens are NIGHT and DAY difference! I will never have a car again without LED headlights! My wife leaves in the dark for work and often comes home in the dark after work and she is amazed by the difference of the LEDs. They are sooooo much better! Also the ones I posted the link for above are bright white, and have no blue tint whatsoever.

As an even more sidenote- I swapped out the dome light bulb with a daylight LED, because stock is severely lacking in trying to light up the interior. The first kind I tried were a no name brand , but had great reviews and were mid-range in cost. Switching the dome light out to that LED bulb caused the remote unlock/lock to not work properly, it mimicked having a dying/low battery in the remote, so much so that I switched out the remote battery on my wife's keyfob. Then I went through what had changed since the problem started(I have been doing some upgrades on the car) and switched the dome bulb back to stock, which took away the problem. I then ordered a new LED dome bulb from a well known brand, I will put the link below, and it works perfectly, with no interference, and probably twice the light output, in bright white glory!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bralexander For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post

As an even more sidenote- I swapped out the dome light bulb with a daylight LED, because stock is severely lacking in trying to light up the interior. The first kind I tried were a no name brand , but had great reviews and were mid-range in cost. Switching the dome light out to that LED bulb caused the remote unlock/lock to not work properly, it mimicked having a dying/low battery in the remote, so much so that I switched out the remote battery on my wife's keyfob. Then I went through what had changed since the problem started(I have been doing some upgrades on the car) and switched the dome bulb back to stock, which took away the problem. I then ordered a new LED dome bulb from a well known brand, I will put the link below, and it works perfectly, with no interference, and probably twice the light output, in bright white glory!

I didn't even think of this! I recently replaced my dome light in the black car, the doors don't lock with the fob 90% of the time. I ran into this same problem with led lights in our garage. I replaced the lights opener with led bulbs and you couldn't close the door until the lights timed out when you were outside the garage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I didn't even think of this! I recently replaced my dome light in the black car, the doors don't lock with the fob 90% of the time. I ran into this same problem with led lights in our garage. I replaced the lights opener with led bulbs and you couldn't close the door until the lights timed out when you were outside the garage.
    Yep, I didn't have any idea that the dome light bulb could cause that kind of problem, but sure enough, the new Philips one has no interference with the keyfob locking/unlocking whatsoever! I'm glad I could help!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bralexander For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (03-05-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree you can,t beat the led headlights.I love mine with no problems.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    . As to some of the folks saying LED headlights are not needed.
    If you seldom drive at night, they may not be needed.

I have no doubt LED headlights are superior in most situations, & I believe they will be a standard item on all vehicles some day.

I believe the heat of a halogen headlight does help keep the headlights clear during nasty snow/ice weather conditions. I find some value in that. Outside of that, I can see where LED are superior. You don't miss what you have never had. That would apply to someone like me.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-26-2022 at 03:36 PM.

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I installed a smart bulb on my car, this is an excellent replacement for conventional car headlights, besides they have a backlight control panel that is well regulated and there are many modes. Another problem is the installation of such headlights, it is problematic due to the complete change of electronics in the car, since these bulbs have a specific structure and it is quite difficult to connect them to the rest of the electronics. Basically, this is a great purchase for my car and I'm happy with everything, the only minus is the installation, there are no more minuses. Perhaps you will like these headlights, if you are not afraid to work a little, then you will have beautiful headlights.
    Last edited by Astralopitec; 06-01-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astralopitec View Post
    I installed a smart bulb on my car, this is an excellent replacement for conventional car headlights, besides they have a backlight control panel that is well regulated and there are many modes.
    Welcome to the forum! First post, correct?

Please share what model smart bulbs (& costs) you installed?