Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 mirage es: advice for switching to LED headlights?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2018 mirage es: advice for switching to LED headlights?

I have Halogen headlights and want to change them to bright led lights .Any problems switch them and how to change them. Another question is maybe I am better with the original headlights. They are not that dull.Thanks

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-28-2021 at 01:57 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I have Halogen headlights and want to change them to bright led lights .Any problems switch them and how to change them. Another question is maybe I am better with the original headlights. They are not that dull.Thanks
    I put LED bulbs in my old ranger. I only left them in for ~3 days before I went back to the halogens. The LED's were horrible. I was told the reflectors are designed for the halogen bulb & the LED bulbs put out light in a different pattern. Just my experience, but your results may be different as mine wasn't a Mirage...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am hoping the factory LED headlights on the 2021 SE models will be a direct swap into my 2021 ES. Anyone know?

I am quite positive it WAS an add on option for some of the other models on the build and price screen. Now it seem it is not.
    I know they changed some other things on the build and price for the 2021 models so maybe they realized it was a mistake.

Found this https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-install/page4

Some models came with HID headlights, at least the GT's do I believe. Someone here tried to install LED's in GT HID projector headlights, it didn't work out well. I have no idea what the 21's come with. Haven't looked into them at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I am hoping the factory LED headlights on the 2021 SE models will be a direct swap into my 2021 ES. Anyone know?

I am quite positive it WAS an add on option for some of the other models on the build and price screen. Now it seem it is not.
    I know they changed some other things on the build and price for the 2021 models so maybe they realized it was a mistake.
    The LED headlights will not be a direct swap to the halogen units.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    The LED headlights will not be a direct swap to the halogen units.
    Do you know what else would have to be changed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The regular bulbs have a dim filament and bright filament. When the bright is switched on, power to the dim filament is cut off. The LEDs are constantly powered and turning on brights causes the projector shield to flip up while nothing changes on the LED itself. The wiring diagram I pricier in my albums shows how to make this work with HID swaps, it would be the same for the new LED headlights.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lots of confusion in this thread, it seems. My guess is the more regular forum members aren't responding as this topic is already extensively covered in other threads on the forum - this thread specifically talks about LED bulb swaps on the Mirage. There is a ton of useful information that has been compiled over the years written here on this forum - I highly encourage the use of the "Search" function!

To clarify a few things: when you consider the headlights on a vehicle, there are actually two separate things you need to concern yourself with - (1) the housing, and (2) the bulb.

The housing is what you would probably consider "the headlight," insofar as it is the physical object that you can see from the outside of your car. A headlight housing is designed around a specific type of bulb, and vice versa.

The bulb is what is actually generates light within the headlight housing, and may or may not be directly visible from the outside of the car. The chemistry of the bulb will be one of any number of different types, but as long as it works with a vehicle's power system, the chemistry really doesn't matter.

The Mirage comes with one of two headlight housings: (1) reflector or (2) projector. The reflector housing is designed to use H4 (definition of size and shape) bulbs, and comes from the factory with halogen bulbs. The projector housing is designed to use D4S (again, definition of size and shape) HID bulbs - I am not sure what the chemistry of the factory bulbs is.

If you have the reflector housing, it is very easy to swap out the factory H4 halogens for H4 LED bulbs - it is exactly the same as changing out the bulbs normally. All you are doing is changing the chemistry of the bulb. A lot of people have had negative experiences with LED bulbs, but the reason is this: good quality LED bulbs are expensive, and people who buy this car are generally cheap (not in a bad way, ofc). Expect to pay ~$150 for a set of good LED bulbs. You can get much cheaper ones, but the quality (light pattern and brightness) will be very poor, or at the very least, unreliable. When you consider the fact that the factory halogen bulbs on this car are actually quite good, you should not bother upgrading to LED's if you are going to cheap out, because they will end up being worse than stock.

If you have the projector housing, you should not swap to LED bulbs. HID actually uses a special, high-voltage power delivery system that will burn out bulbs that run at standard voltage, such as LED's. You should stick with the dedicated D4S HID (I think the chemistry is Xenon?) bulbs. Their light output will generally be equivalent (or greater than) most any other type of bulb you would replace them with, anyway.

Hope that helps!

P.S. - I recommend Headlight Revolution as a good source for LED bulbs and reliable reviews of said bulbs.
    Last edited by PityOnU; 02-26-2021 at 05:54 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Chipapi (02-22-2024),MetroMPG (02-28-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not confused lol. He later asked if the LED Headlights (housings) would be a direct swap in place of the Halogen housings. I answered that. The 2021 Projector Housings are LED not HID.
    (blank signature)

Attachment 20680

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-26-2021)