Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage exhaust mods summed up. (Factory setup is best)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, usually you would want to do both, but with our cars I think the stock intake is flowing plenty of air. Also ifyou are going to do the exhaust you will need to do the whole thing if you expect to see any gains. Just replacing the tip will do nothing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    so does this mean that i can put an intake and changing the exaust tip will be ok? i remembered someone told me that once with an intake setup the exhaust should be changed. not sure as to how since im no mechanic and doesnt know much about this things.
    Muffler does matter. Each muffler has a flow rate. Different designs produce different effects. It most def. matters.

The cherry bomb vortex hybrid was flow tested vs a magnaflow, both had the same sound rating in db, but the cherry bomb flowed 70% more air through the muffler. A bad muffler can cause a restriction, which for power gains is bad. However if you just want a throatier sound and dont care for performance, then no, muffler dont matter except thr sound you want.

The reason most "jdm" style muffler systems are glasspacks are because it gives you decent noise for your earball entertainment, and flow relatively a lot of air being a straight through design.

The glasspack works likes this. At slow rpms not much air is going out, so some of that air ends up being pushed into the sound deadening material. When you go WOT (wide open throttle) and max rpm, the flow is greater and it bypasses the quieting element. Thus why full throttle and high rpm is louder than low rpm light throttle. All jdm mufflers are glasspacks, the difference between the jdm version and a usdm glasspack is the inner and outer diameter. A cherry bomb glasspack has say a 3" inlet/outlet and only and inch of packing material. The jdm ones are say 3" inlet/outlet with an outer of 5".

The cherry bomb vortex is a hybrid, its a square muffler with plates (like magnaflow) in the middle, but like a glasspack because the outer edge is packed with steel whool. So you get high flow and yet a nice deep rumble (its my fav muffler im gonna brag).

Normal plate mufflers have 1 to 3 plates that cause air to collide and cancle out sound and no packing material.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Namco, to be clear he said he wanted to just replace the tip. As far as your muffler theory, I do agree that a good well made muffler with r&d behind it will flow more air, but those gains won't be realized when the pipe ahead and or behind it are of a smaller diameter. Yes it it will sound better regardless.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    Yes it it will sound better regardless.
    I beg to differ, as 'better' is subjective. I've heard some exhaust mods that are purely annoying - the ones I refer to as 'fart pipes.' Seems they are solely to call attention to the car and thus, the driver. And to irritate everybody else.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Point taken, I was thinking more of my set up which is deep and refined. I would never consider a fart can when I said better muffler that's what I was talking about.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I beg to differ, as 'better' is subjective. I've heard some exhaust mods that are purely annoying - the ones I refer to as 'fart pipes.' Seems they are solely to call attention to the car and thus, the driver. And to irritate everybody else.
    Since you ride with earplugs all the time I have loud (but not too loud) pipes on bikes, and they help to keep cage drivers aware. Would not wanna have it in car as it downs audio listening experience.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Since you ride with earplugs all the time I have loud (but not too loud) pipes on bikes, and they help to keep cage drivers aware. Would not wanna have it in car as it downs audio listening experience.
    Ha! Great point. How do riders of BMWs and Goldwings possibly survive without loud pipes?

I find the insinuation that loud pipes save lives as humorous. But that's off topic, isn't it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Ha! Great point. How do riders of BMWs and Goldwings possibly survive without loud pipes?

I find the insinuation that loud pipes save lives as humorous. But that's off topic, isn't it.
    That is their personal choice. I've ridden goldwing and it wasn't my cup of tea. Too heavy, too big, and if you drop will need a crane to lift it up. Great on open highway will eat miles like there is no tomorrow. With respect to bimmers had R1150 for a while.. MPG sucks about what you get in Mirage, too wide for lane splitting and aircooled engine is liability in traffic. Expensive to buy or fix and a group of owners not to be part of. "Is it OK to use non-bmw oil in BMW?"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    Namco, to be clear he said he wanted to just replace the tip. As far as your muffler theory, I do agree that a good well made muffler with r&d behind it will flow more air, but those gains won't be realized when the pipe ahead and or behind it are of a smaller diameter. Yes it it will sound better regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    However if you just want a throatier sound and don't care for performance, then no, muffler don't matter except the sound you want.
    ^^^^^^^^^

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just build your own?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1N6ffxL5mk