Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mirage exhaust mods summed up. (Factory setup is best)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pics of the rear res cut off?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whats the part number for the Chrome Finisher? I cant find it on Mitsubishi parts warehouse.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, to simplify, if my exhaust has rusted out from the middle and muffler and some pipe have fallen off, what should I do for best performance? sleeve it and weld back together like stock? Leave it as it is with no muffler? (it doesn't seem to make that much extra noise, maybe I'm just deaf though) or should tear out the whole exhaust and do a hater pipe out the hood with a tractor flap?
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As the title and first post of this thread point out: stock or stock-like will always be best.

Modern vehicles are terrifically well designed and computerization allows for minute tweaks to performance in order to optimize around a specific system. If you change the system without overhauling the computer tweaks, things will run sub-optimally.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For some reason got a random email about this thread. Anyway, you cant just change **** on an engine and expect change. Cars today are computer controlled. So if you change the intake for more air and exhaust size, you have to get the car tuned. Its not gonna tune itself. The reason we got away with this when it comes to honda is the engine management system had the ability to change certain things on its own. So you could do a cold air + exhaust and see about a 5% gain, 10% if you tuned.... Todays engines, no tune, no gains. Typically more air + more fuel = more power. The intake is the biggest restriction with these tiny motors. The cold air snorkel on the mirage is a joke. Also the size of the US air flow sensor.... I guarantee if you change intake + exhaust and then actually tune for the new air/fuel ratio, you can make more power.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (12-29-2020)

Run a stack out the hood

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    For some reason got a random email about this thread. Anyway, you cant just change **** on an engine and expect change. Cars today are computer controlled. So if you change the intake for more air and exhaust size, you have to get the car tuned. Its not gonna tune itself. The reason we got away with this when it comes to honda is the engine management system had the ability to change certain things on its own. So you could do a cold air + exhaust and see about a 5% gain, 10% if you tuned.... Todays engines, no tune, no gains. Typically more air + more fuel = more power. The intake is the biggest restriction with these tiny motors. The cold air snorkel on the mirage is a joke. Also the size of the US air flow sensor.... I guarantee if you change intake + exhaust and then actually tune for the new air/fuel ratio, you can make more power.
    Did you ever end up with a turbo mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    For some reason got a random email about this thread.
    Maybe it's not random.

Are you subscribed to this thread with settings for email notification?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Did you ever end up with a turbo mirage?
    I would LOVE to see someone pull off a turbo mirage! How far along is this in development? Pictures? Intercooled?
    The turbo would quiet the exhaust down enough without much behind it in the way of mufflers I would guess.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I would LOVE to see someone pull off a turbo mirage! How far along is this in development? Pictures? Intercooled?
    The turbo would quiet the exhaust down enough without much behind it in the way of mufflers I would guess.
    Turbos make great mufflers. I have most of the parts needed to do mine. I want to get a spare engine first, as it would help with mocking up the manifold and it would be nice to have a spare just in case.

I'm currently concentrating on my other projects so the turbo mirage is low priority.

'17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed