Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Android Auto

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use Android auto mainly to get Google Maps or Waze on the larger in car screen. Better than factory nav I feel because it also factors in real time traffic and Waze will let you know if there is a cop or deer on the road up ahead.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by applezz13 View Post
    I use Android auto mainly to get Google Maps or Waze on the larger in car screen. Better than factory nav I feel because it also factors in real time traffic and Waze will let you know if there is a cop or deer on the road up ahead.
    When I am driving, I have found Google Maps to be absolutely worthless. I delivered 20+ puppies for a friend this past winter. The trips took me to various parts of Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, & Florida (flew from O'Hare to Miami for that one). I learned early on to snap a pic of the route in my mind, & list exit numbers on a notepad. I can honestly say Google Maps never works when I really need it. It use to be better, or maybe I was using Map Quest years ago? It's been horrible the past couple years for me. I use it to plan my trips from home, but on the road it's been nothing but frustrating. I would never count on it getting me anywhere except lost.

Maybe it's my cell phone? I've spent $149 on cell phones in my lifetime. First one (Motorola Moto G) was $99, and the second one (Motorola Moto G play) was $49. So I've really spent $148 on cell phones so far. I don't place a lot of value on technology. I am not convinced cell phones are making the world a better place, but I use mine like most everyone else.

Personally, I feel screens on dashboards should be illegal. I don't have a problem with backup cameras, but they should go dead when in drive. I just feel they are too distracting. Then again, I have been putting a lot of hours in with young drivers lately. Driving is a full time job that requires one's full attention.

I honestly feel other safety features have become necessary in today's cars to counter the distractions of the screen.

I went to pick up my trailer tonight. I had given my friend a small trailer load of camp fire wood. It was about a 7-8 mile round trip. I easily saw 15+ deer tonight. I wonder if Waze would have seen the same?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As far as google maps not working when you need it, is it a signal thing? I'm from northern Wisconsin originally (near Hayward) and have lots of signal issues when I am up there visiting family. If that is your problem, Google maps lets you download the maps for a predetermined area and us it offline. Where I am currently I have issues in newish developments as all of the roads aren't on the map yet.

As far as Waze and deer, if you are in a rural area it would be worthless. It works by others reporting the problems so you need to be in a high use density area.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When I am driving, I have found Google Maps to be absolutely worthless.
    I find it hard to believe that you are unable to gain any beneficial use using Google Maps. Surely it provides some useful information, right? Or is this simply hyperbole?

Google Maps has lots of information that you just won't get out of a road atlas. Common sense says it's best to pull over when browsing the map especially on a small phone screen, or have a helper do that navigation.

As far as google maps not working when you need it, is it a signal thing? I'm from northern Wisconsin originally (near Hayward) and have lots of signal issues when I am up there visiting family. If that is your problem, Google maps lets you download the maps for a predetermined area and us it offline. Where I am currently I have issues in newish developments as all of the roads aren't on the map yet.
    I've downloaded maps for trips and also for general use. It's a very handy feature when offline.

As far as Waze and deer, if you are in a rural area it would be worthless. It works by others reporting the problems so you need to be in a high use density area.
    Plus, how can Waze or Google Maps be blamed for deer? That doesn't make sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I can't say I've heard of anyone reporting deer on an app before. I'm not sure who I'd be more worried about hitting, a deer or the person reporting the deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When I am driving, I have found Google Maps to be absolutely worthless. I delivered 20+ puppies for a friend this past winter. The trips took me to various parts of Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, & Florida (flew from O'Hare to Miami for that one). I learned early on to snap a pic of the route in my mind, & list exit numbers on a notepad. I can honestly say Google Maps never works when I really need it. It use to be better, or maybe I was using Map Quest years ago?
    I've used google maps to figure out how far we are from camp when we head out. As long as I plan the route when I have service and not stop the route when I lose service it seems to work. I also download offline google maps of the areas that don't have cell coverage that probably helps too.

For satellite maps, I find the apple maps have clearer images than google. At least in the area's up here and where I go glamping. They even have street views of the small towns I used to live in where Google still hasn't made it out there yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I stuck an aftermarket 2 din deck into my car with Android Auto and its the best thing I've ever done to make my trips better, Google maps works awesome and the ability to display Spotify and Audible is my favorite part.

Name:  20210525_155333.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  91.7 KB
    It does work pretty slow with an older or low end Android phone though.

As for gauges. I wish I could in fact customize what I see. This is what's going into my truck soon, and being able to make adjustments to the tune in my dashboard will be a really nice feature.

Name:  20210318_221515.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  96.8 KB

'17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed