Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Oil Change Thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts

2021 Oil Change Thread

Another year, another oil change thread! Some folks change theirs with the season, some need to change oil more often. Tell us how you are approaching oil changes this year.

As this generation Mirage ages, more maintenance tasks are being added. Are you doing more than just an oil change? Let us know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Looking at my records, I did an oil change at: 437 miles, 1044 miles, 2235 miles, and 5250 miles. The next oil change at ~7,500 miles (as the info screen indicates) I'll let the dealer do so they can add it to their database. Local dealer is not too expensive.

After that oil change, all my future oil changes will be based on what the info screen in the vehicle says. That's the limit of my plan, the car is too new for anything else.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have been using Castrol, but this trip to the store Pennzoil 0w-20 from natural gas was on sale, so I'm trying it with Fram synthetic filter. Changing around 7000 mile interval, maybe a little sooner. I know the synthetic last longer than conventional oil, but I drive high rpms on the highway, so I like to keep fresh oil. Changed the air filter, too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Every 7500 miles with full synthetic till it dies. I messed up last year and went almost 9k miles with no issues but I won't push my luck.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Every 7500 miles with full synthetic till it dies. I messed up last year and went almost 9k miles with no issues but I won't push my luck.
    Ditto! Either Amazon, Supertech, or Kirkland 5w-20 Full Syn. I ended up getting 6-5qt jugs for $60, so I'm set for awhile. I still have about 16 Parts master (Wix) filters, good there too.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Ditto! Either Amazon, Supertech, or Kirkland 5w-20 Full Syn. I ended up getting 6-5qt jugs for $60, so I'm set for awhile. I still have about 16 Parts master (Wix) filters, good there too.
    I use the 0W-20 but might make the switch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still doing 7500 miles or a little sooner with full synthetic Supertech 0W-20 with Supertech ST6607 filters. I stocked up on 5 jugs of oil and a bunch of filter last time to stop having to go to wally world so frequently. So little driving due to WFH I haven't needed to change the oil this year and I hope to make it till spring.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (03-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Us guys (and gals) on a forum, who might choose different oil brands, weights and filters, I bet the difference between our wear on our engines ultimately would be close to, if not, negligible. Meaning, I think it's more important to have maintenance done regularly, versus the difference in which maintenance product used. So, while there may be a squabble from time to time about different products, all or most on forums are doing much better keeping their maintenance done that the majority of car owners.

Here's an example. My very own sister. She has a 2009 Sorento that she bought from Kia when I was an employee so she got a good discount. I swear, if my dad, me and my brother-in-law didn't scream at her until we were red in the face, it would still be on the original oil and filter. And she would not have a care in the world. Guaranteed she goes 20k miles between oil changes, "because she doesn't have time" to get it done. And she drives like she's a bank robber with the cops after her. I've checked it many times and it is black tar. Yet my sister's hooptie just keeps on rolling. At least for now. I've driven it, and it feels like a car that has never had any maintenance. But it keeps rolling.

When I go to the gas station in one of my older cars, I find it relaxing to pop the hood and check the oil level while the gas pumps. My sister, and other females, approach a gas station as if it is their kryptonite. They pull up, slam a couple gallons in and are gone before I even get the pump running. How hard is it to roll into an instant oil change place and let dudes change your oil? Easy, doesn't take long and is really not so expensive.

I don't know what started my tear on this subject, but all I know is, we squabble about our brands of maintenance, yet we're killing it compared to probably most. My last oil change I used a Purolator ONE (not a PUREONE). I still get a bit of rattle at start up. I let the car sit for a few days without driving, and I noticed the rattle was a bit longer ... but still less than 1 full second.

Point is, I think it makes very little difference with oil and filter is used, as long as the maintenance is done timely.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

2of9 (03-03-2021),Fummins (03-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting as I just changed the oil in my Mirage (current mileage:81,1154) and Outlander Sport (current mileage: 101,375 miles). I could not change the oil in my garage since the last 2-3 weeks because the weather has been between -5℉ and -25℉. According to my records, I haven't changed the oil since early Sept 2020 *cringe*. BUT, I have only driven it only 4,300 miles since Sept. I've been working from home so it hasn't been driven much at all.

Just for comparison, I use to drive roughly 1500 miles a month from commuting. According to my math, since Sept 2020, I have only driven it almost 700 miles a month. It feels a lot less than that for some reason, haha.

I use to get Pennzoil. But then I saw that our Costco was selling a box (6 1qt bottles) of Mobil1 0w-20 Full Synthetic for $20. Couldn't resist and bought 3 boxes. Roughly enough to do 2 oil changes on both cars. Hard to see the valvetrain for the Mirage but from the looks of it, it's still lookin' clean, haha. I use to change the oil every 5,000 miles. The past YEAR, It feels like I've been doing seasonal since I haven't driven it much at all. I know for certain it's due for a trans flush and adjusting the shifter cables a bit.

Overall, 81,000 miles and it's still going strong!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I scored the deal of the century at Wally World back around Christmas. They had the 12 QT boxes of Mobil 1 Synthetic for $25 on clearance! Needless to say I bought two cart fulls and people looked at me like I was a crazy person. I am stocked up for a long time. But I have a lot of cars, so it was definitely justifiable.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)