Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2021 Oil Change Thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    I work in a Mitsubishi dealer in the parts/service department, I know how fun warranty claims can be and also that keeping receipts won't count as service records. Handwritten service records don't count either.
    Then what does count?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.2 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    Then what does count?
    That's a really good question... mirthmobile, I'm a certified 310S Auto repair Tech with a red interprovincial seal & a certified 310T heavy Truck & Coach Tech licensed in Canada... Are you saying if I do my own oil changes, my warranty may not cover future issues???I have a log book to track all services... Does that count??? The US has the Magson-Moss warranty act but I don't think Canada has anything like it... I don't know. I do know that I am more then capable of changing my own oil & I think my keeping a fleet of Freightliners on the road & my present job is possibly more challenging... Interested to hear your thoughts... Thanks
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I say receipts I mean receipts for the oil and filter and you recording your own mileage when you did the work yourself.

A printed work order with documented mileage and dates on it from a shop is what they look for on engine failure warranty claims.
    Are you saying owners, who decided to service the car themselves, have to videotape themselves as a time lapse…doing the relevant maintenance along with the purchased parts and mileage/odometer being displayed…just to convince Mitsu Motors NA that these owners were being honest doing the job? sounds extreme and unreasonable for any auto maker, not just MMNA’s standard

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.2 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No, I certainly didn't say you had to film yourself changing your own oil or any of those things. I guess I misspoke and I don't mean to alarm anyone. I'm saying they ask for proof that it's had the oil changed beyond you saying "Yeah, I changed my oil on time" if your engine explodes (it won't) and you ask for a new one.

I don't mean to say your entire powertrain warranty is void if you don't have detailed oil change records from a dealership or something.

I'm not a warranty administrator, I don't speak for the company, I can't tell you down to the letter what does and doesn't count. I'm just telling you what I was told by people that have been working there long enough to see an engine replaced under warranty (I haven't). I know it's a case by case thing and if your engine exploded (it won't) in your car in the warranty period and you gave them a stack of receipts that were a few months apart and a detailed logbook they'd probably have a pretty hard time saying you were just buying the stuff because you collect oil and filters and were practicing your handwriting.

If you have questions about your warranty ask the place you bought it from what service records you need to keep and what counts. I'm not an authority, they are.

I could be completely backasswards wrong. It happens often.
    Last edited by mirthmobile; 09-08-2023 at 03:58 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    I work in a Mitsubishi dealer in the parts/service department, I know how fun warranty claims can be and also that keeping receipts won't count as service records. Handwritten service records don't count either.
    Personally, I could care less. I take proper care of my car. If the powertrain failed before 100,000 miles (warranty honored or not), I would be done with the brand regardless.

Mitsubishi doesn't have to accept my own maintenance, and I don't have to buy their products in the future either. I'm not picking on Mitsubishi. I would feel the same way about any car company.

Dealerships that don't bend over backwards to offer excellent service to their customers have to be the dumbest morons on the planet. Why would you do something that drives repeat customers away?

few quotes -

"In fact, government statistics indicate that consumers are 76% more likely to buy their next car from the dealership they regularly visit for service on their present car. These statistics emphasize how repeat business can improve your dealership's profitability and operations." Dec 8, 2022

"According to Invesp, on average, it costs five times more to acquire new customers than it does to earn repeat business from existing customers. As a result, and needless to say, retaining customers should therefore be a priority for every dealer of any size."