Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Oil Change Thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I don’t put much stock in anti-drainback valves in horizontally mounted filters. Oil will drain out the center hole once the engine stops running.

Mobil 1 oil may have different additives that maintain a lubrication film better than Warren Distribution products. Maybe that’s why Mobil 1 synthetics cost more? Just speculating.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I don’t put much stock in anti-drainback valves in horizontally mounted filters. Oil will drain out the center hole once the engine stops running.

Mobil 1 oil may have different additives that maintain a lubrication film better than Warren Distribution products. Maybe that’s why Mobil 1 synthetics cost more? Just speculating.
    If someone feels Mobil 1 is the best, they should buy it. Some people are very loyal to brands. I am not one of those guys. I haven't seen anything that indicates Mobil 1 is superior to any other synthetic oils on the market.

According to the Project Farm shared data, Mobil 1 has less different additives than Super Tech, Amazon Basics, etc... That doesn't mean their additives are better or worst, but Mobil 1 has fewer than most brands. As major brands go, Mobil 1 was near the bottom on most everything in the testing. If I was going to pay extra for major oil brand, Mobil 1 would be my last choice now. If I wanted to pay more money for oil, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum gave Amsoil stiff competition in the championship round.

I am not convinced Mobil 1 is anything special. All synthetic oils these days are pretty good.

My Forester oil filter is mounted vertically (opening on the bottom) on top of the engine. Start up noise is a non-issue.

General quotes found on line -

"The anti-drain back valve serves a purpose that's similar to this oil change strategy. Every time your engine is shut off, the valve keeps oil from draining out of the filter. This allows the engine to receive oil immediately upon start up. A faulty anti-drain back valve lets oil drain back into the engine."

"Most filters these days have check valves in them, and the primary one is an anti-drain back valve. That anti-drain back valve prevents the oil from being syphoned out of the filter when the engine is shut off."

"A Silicone Rubber anti-drainback valve has over 3x the life of a Nitrile anti-drainback valve. FRAM uses a silicone ADBV on FRAM Tough Guard and FRAM Ultra filters, and switched to a silicone ADBV on Extra Guard filters in 2018 because of its superior performance."

I sort of agree with what you are claiming about filters. Some oil will drain out through the center when the engine is off. The oil filters aren't empty when I remove them, however. Oil drains out of them.

If nothing else, a good anti-drainback valve should prevent dirty oil on the outside of the filter media from draining back into the engine.

I used Mobil 1 in my Forester & Mirage, until last summer. I haven't noticed any difference @ start up using Super Tech this past year

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I used Mobil 1 in my Forester & Mirage, until last summer. I haven't noticed any difference @ start up using Super Tech this past year
    A-ha - that's some useful info right there. Then maybe it's worth sticking with the Warren Distribution stuff.

Hopefully some other users will chime in too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just changed my oil after 20,000. I last used a Mobile One High Mileage. But switched to Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic high mileage this time. I'm not going 20K this time until the next oil change. Maybe 10K. But there were no issues at all so far. Going to change my PCV valve and maybe my fuel filter next.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdogg27 View Post
    I just changed my oil after 20,000...Mobile One High Mileage
    Normally I wouldn't go beyond 10,000 miles without an oil analysis to back it up. But this Mirage owner went 15,000 miles (on 0W20) and his TBN number was decent for that amount of miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Normally I wouldn't go beyond 10,000 miles without an oil analysis to back it up. But this Mirage owner went 15,000 miles (on 0W20) and his TBN number was decent for that amount of miles.
    The comment on Andrew's report also says "Aluminum levels are pretty high in this report, but other metals don't look that bad for such a long run. Aluminum shows piston & bearing wear, but we aren't ready to call it a problem yet. The TBN is strong, but we suggest an oil change soon to bring the aluminum back to normal. Check back to 5,000 miles to see how things are holding up. A shorter interval should bring the aluminum closer to average."

I don't see anything glowing here, & I personally think he is slowly reducing the life of his engine. His Mirage burnt more oil during that 15,000 mile oil change interval than my Mirage has burnt during the entire 78,000+ miles I have driven it.

Synthetic oil high mileage claims are nothing more than a marketing gimmick in my opinion. When I switched from using conventional oil to full synthetic oil about 10 years ago, I was willing to extend the 3,000 mile oil change intervals of the past. I'm not willing to go to an extreme level, however. Personally, I would rather run conventional oil changed every 3,000 miles over full synthetic oil changed every 7,500 miles in my Mirage.

I somewhat question what one should do at times, but the recommendations are 3,750 - 7,500 miles (depending on your driving conditions) for a Mirage. It's a small engine with a small volume of oil, & I don't see the need to keep it in there for extended periods of time or super high mileage.

I've said this several times in the past, Steve's plastic Mirage went 307,000+ miles before he sold it. He did 5,000 mile 5W-30 conventional oil changes with an average oil filter (most were done free by a Cadillac dealership/another part of the story). Although Steve had some manual transmission problems in the end, his engine was still going strong. I attribute that to consistent oil changes & maybe even heavier oil.

I'm not a fan of light oil. I've gone back to 5W-30 Super Tech Full Synthetic for my vehicles along with a mid-grade oil filter. 5,000 mile oil changes for my Mirage, & once a year for my Forester (whatever low mileage it's at after one year).

I realize some might say 5W-30 is not recommended, but it's OK in other parts of the world for the Mirage. Lightweight oil is driven by energy consumption and not engine wear in my opinion. I feel much better running 5W-30 Full Synthetic in my Mirage, but that's just me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The comment on Andrew's report also says "Aluminum levels are pretty high in this report...
    Something in these engines is producing aluminum in the oil samples. My car has always had a certain amount of aluminum in the 6 or 7 oil analysis reports I've had since may car was new. After seeing some pics of these engines torn down, I wonder if it's piston skirt wear.

Synthetic oil high mileage claims are nothing more than a marketing gimmick in my opinion.
    I ran back-to back oil analysis reports on my Mirage after 2 5,000 oil change intervals. One change was done with standard Mobil-1 5W30. The other was done with Mobil-1 Extended Performance 5W30. Both reports were nearly identical. The Blackstone comments in my report said something like "your reports are so similar, it's like the same oil is being sold in a different container"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The mobile one I used last said it was good for 20K. Served like it was still good when I drained it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdogg27 View Post
    The mobile one I used last said it was good for 20K. Served like it was still good when I drained it.
    Mobil 1's claim doesn't supersede the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval. They clearly state that, which takes them off the hook if their product decreases the life of your vehicle using their product that way.

Personally, I think there is nothing special about Mobil 1 & some oils are actually superior to it. Project Farm did an extensive testing of full synthetic motor oil a number of years ago.

total antiwear additives ppm - Super Tech = 1474 & Mobil 1 = 1394
    total detergents/dispersants - Super Tech =1836 & Mobil 1 = 1689
    TBN - Super Tech = 7.4 & Mobil 1 = 8
    His subjective overall oil scorecard - 85.5 & Mobil 1 = 85.5

Watching the end of the clip below will give the summary charts for each oil in the test. He reaches the same conclusion that I do concerning synthetic oil, and he uses Super Tech or Amazon Basics in his personal vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuKvnCq1js

If I wanted to spend a little more money for a brand name oil, Mobil 1 would not be my first choice. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic made it to the championship & took 2nd only the expensive Amsoil. I would also pick Valvoline Full Synthetic or Kendall Full Synthetic over Mobil 1.

He doesn't just come out & say it, but in a way he does - Mobil 1 is priced high for what you get. There is NOTHING special about it!

Having said that, I think doing timely maintenance (oil/filter changes) supersedes which full synthetic you choose. If you like Mobil 1, there's nothing wrong with that. Mobil 1 gives you plenty of choices -

Full Synthetic
    High Mileage Full Synthetic
    Extended Performance Full Synthetic
    Extended Performance High Mileage Full Synthetic
    European Car Formula Full Synthetic
    Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic
    Advanced Full Synthetic
    Supercar Advanced Full Synthetic
    Truck & SUV Full Synthetic

Personally, I prefer the choices of Super Tech (they seem more straightforward & logical to me) -

Conventional = $16.43*
    Conventional High Mileage = $16.97*
    All Mileage Synthetic Blend = $16.97*
    Full Synthetic = $19.98*
    High Mileage Full Synthetic = $19.98*
    Advance Full Synthetic = $21.48*
    * 5-quart jug current price

I don't think there is bad full synthetic motor oil on the market, but I don't take stock in special claims made by companies either. When I bought my first 0w20 vehicle 10 years ago, I used Mobil 1. Back then it was on the shelf @ Walmart, and there weren't many choices. That has changed, and I do feel there are better choices & better values. I don't think Mobil 1 is bad, however. I also think their oil filter is quite good, but someone makes them for them, too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-18-2023)