Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Oil Change Thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Point is, I think it makes very little difference with oil and filter is used, as long as the maintenance is done timely.

7milesout

I agree! If there's an inferior synthetic oil out there, I am not aware of it.

For those who didn't follow Steve ("Cheap Plastic car") thread in the past, he received 50+ free oil changes from the dealership. When his Mitsubishi dealership closed their doors for good, they still honored his free oil change deal at their Cadillac dealership. They were giving Steve's Mirage fresh 5W-30 convention oil/probably cheap oil filter every 5,000 miles. His engine was still doing fine @ 300,000+ miles. He ended up having some transmission issues (another story). I do want to add - Steve lived in the south (Louisiana). He wasn't dealing with below zero temperatures.

I figure any synthetic oil we are using is an upgrade from that example. One Mirage schedule is 3,750 mile oil/filter change intervals, & the other schedule is 7,500 mile intervals. What you choose to do should depend on your type of driving. If you are a low mileage driver (few thousand miles), once a year may be your guide. Some may not feel comfortable with that & do it more frequently regardless of the low miles.

3 quarts of oil (regardless of the brand) & mid-priced oil filter is not that costly. I change oil every 5,000 miles.

I have been using Purolator ONE (PL14610) oil filters (10,000 mile rated), which are around $6.99 or cheaper when on sale. I feel the Fram Ultra Synthetic (XG7317) oil filters (20,000 mile rated) are also a good option. Any oil filter changed within a decent interval is probably fine. These oil filters are easy for me to find in stores that I shop at. Thus, they are my choice. I am not saying they are the absolute best, nor is the best needed in my opinion.

I switched both my 2011 Forester & 2017 Mirage to Super Tech Full Synthetic oil last year. 5 quarts of Super Tech Full Synthetic only cost $1.61 more than 5 quarts of Super Tech conventional oil.

After watching the Project Farm review of synthetic oil on youtube.com, I concluded Super Tech/Amazon Basics/Kirkand synthetic oils are as good or may even better than some of the other brands. In most cases, they cost less than some of the conventional oil brands. I see no reason to pay more, but good deals can be found on major brands, too.

This the championship round of the Project Farm synthetic oil test below. It's quite extensive, but this final clip summarizes all of the oils tested. FYI - the tester uses Super Tech or Amazon Basics oil for his vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuKvnCq1js&t=189s

Last edited by Mark; 04-10-2021 at 10:54 PM.

0w20 is what's recommended out here(I thought?) and it's only available in synthetic. I buy oil from crappy tire when it's on sale. You can usually find mobil 1, pennzoil or castrol on sale for around $20/4 quart jug.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    0w20 is what's recommended out here(I thought?) and it's only available in synthetic. I buy oil from crappy tire when it's on sale. You can usually find mobil 1, pennzoil or castrol on sale for around $20/4 quart jug.
    Yeah, I haven't seen a 0W20 conventional oil.

If you download a Mirage owner's manual from other countries, you will find most any oil viscosity would work in a Mirage engine under the right conditions (atmospheric temperatures).

For example - The Mirage owner's manual for the UK lists the following oil viscosities for the Mirage - 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40, 10W50, 15W40, 15W50, 20W40, & 20W50. None of these oil viscosities are recommended over the other in their manual. Instead the manual states - "Select engine oil of the proper SAE viscosity number according to the atmospheric temperature." Obviously, most of these oil viscosities overlap each other quite a bit.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/owners/manuals

The effort to squeeze every ounce of economy out our Mirage engines is what drives the 0W20 recommendation in North America in my opinion. A recommendation is not a mandate.

I don't use my 2011 Forester as much these days, & I change oil once a year now. I use the recommended 0w20, because I rely on that vehicle during harsh winter months. I also use it close to home (short trips mostly).

I don't hesitate to use 5W30 synthetic in my Mirage during the summer months, & I use the recommended 0W20 during the rest of the year. I see value/wisdom in using 0W20 during the winter months especially. I use my Mirage enough to justify 2-3 oil changes/year. I am not convinced 0W20 offers superior engine protection during warm weather conditions & longer summer trips. If I only changed my oil once a year & did mostly short trips, I would probably just stick with 0W20 oil year round in my Mirage, too!

I am not suggesting anyone follow what I do in the least. I feel thicker oils offer superior engine protect in warmer climates, & the North American oil recommendation is driven by manufacturers trying to obtain better economy numbers. I have no reason to believe 1.2L Mirage engines are that different somewhere else. I have no concerns about using a slightly different oil viscosities in my Mirage during the summer months.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-04-2021 at 01:54 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Anyone who is using synthetic oil from Warren Distribution (they blend for Amazon, Walmart Supertech, Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic at Costco and probably some others) what are your experiences using it? Have you noticed any difference in operation?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Anyone who is using synthetic oil from Warren Distribution (they blend for Amazon, Walmart Supertech, Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic at Costco and probably some others) what are your experiences using it? Have you noticed any difference in operation?
    Not to derail this thread, but I became annoyed with Mobil 1 over the years.
    Walmart's current Mobil 1 0W-20 choices below -

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Full Synthetic Motor Oil
    Mobil 1 ESP X2 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

I used Super Tech conventional oil for decades without issue. When I bought my first 0W-20 vehicle in 2013 (my 2011 Forester), I starting buying Mobil 1 0W-20 oil because it was commonly found on the shelves of most stores.

Over time, more companies began offering 0W-20 oil, & Mobil 1 sort of went nuts adding various choices. Mobil 1's numerous choices may be justified, and some may find comfort in buying their product. It was sort of a turn off for me. Once I realized Super Tech 0W-20 Full Synthetic was available (my local Walmart still doesn't have it on the shelf, but other nearby stores do), I decided to go back to Super Tech.

I really don't want to have mental breakdown trying to decide which Mobil 1 product to buy.

You can currently buy a 12 quart box of Super Tech 0W-20 Full Synthetic for $35.08. Since a Mirage only takes 3 quarts, that's $8.77 per oil change ($35.08/4). Add in a decent mid-priced oil filter & you are well under $20/oil change.

I typically buy the 5-quart jugs, & two jugs (10-quarts) will easily do 3 oil changes.

Super Tech, Amazon Basics, & Kirkland full synthetic oils are good products. After watching the extensive tests and detailed analysis done on full synthetic oils by Project Farm, I wouldn't pay extra for the more popular oil brands.

Super Tech does offer a "high mileage" full synthetic. A few more years down the road, I may switch over to that.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-11-2021 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but I became annoyed with Mobil 1 over the years.
    Walmart's current Mobil 1 0W-20 choices below -

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage Full Synthetic
    Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Full Synthetic Motor Oil
    Mobil 1 ESP X2 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

I used Super Tech conventional oil for decades without issue. When I bought my first 0W-20 vehicle in 2013 (my 2011 Forester), I starting buying Mobil 1 0W-20 oil because it was commonly found on the shelves of most stores.

Over time, more companies began offering 0W-20 oil, & Mobil 1 sort of went nuts adding various choices. Mobil 1's numerous choices may be justified, and some may find comfort in buying their product. It was sort of a turn off for me. Once I realized Super Tech 0W-20 Full Synthetic was available (my local Walmart still doesn't have it on the shelf, but other nearby stores do), I decided to go back to Super Tech.

I really don't want to have mental breakdown trying to decide which Mobil 1 product to buy.

You can currently buy a 12 quart box of Super Tech 0W-20 Full Synthetic for $35.08. Since a Mirage only takes 3 quarts, that's $8.77 per oil change ($35.08/4). Add in a decent mid-priced oil filter & you are well under $20/oil change.

I typically buy the 5-quart jugs, & two jugs (10-quarts) will easily do 3 oil changes.

Super Tech, Amazon Basics, & Kirkland full synthetic oils are good products. After watching the extensive tests and detailed analysis done on full synthetic oils by Project Farm, I wouldn't pay extra for the more popular oil brands.

Super Tech does offer a "high mileage" full synthetic. A few more years down the road, I may switch over to that.
    I noticed the same. I just look for what's on sale then pick out whatever viscosity I want. It's easier that way. Picked up a 5qt jug of full synthetic crappy tire oil on the weekend for $19.99.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I asked because it seems my valvetrain rattles longer on startup on the Kirkland Signature 0W-20 and wondered if anyone else noticed the same thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I asked because it seems my valvetrain rattles longer on startup on the Kirkland Signature 0W-20 and wondered if anyone else noticed the same thing.
    To be fair didn't you change from a Mobil 1 oil filter to a cheap Champ oil filter @ the same time?

If you did, it may be hard to know which variable may be causing more knock @ start up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    To be fair didn't you change from a Mobil 1 oil filter to a cheap Champ oil filter @ the same time?

If you did, it may be hard to know which variable may be causing more knock @ start up.
    Of course, a totally fair question. Yet another reason why I consult the peanut gallery. If others have this going on with this oil, then maybe it's not the filter.

Starting to sound like the filter? I'd have to double-check but I'm pretty sure it was their filter for synthetic oil, not the cheapy-cheap one.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-13-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Of course, a totally fair question. Yet another reason why I consult the peanut gallery. If others have this going on with this oil, then maybe it's not the filter.

Starting to sound like the filter? I'd have to double-check but I'm pretty sure it was their filter for synthetic oil, not the cheapy-cheap one.
    It was just a thought. If you changed two variables at the same time, it's hard to predict the outcome on this. If the start up sounds different, I might suspect the change in the oil filter. I believe it was Foama that shared the importance of the by-pass valve working properly during cold starts. I am not so familiar with that being a concern, but some anti-drainback valves may be better than others. The purpose of an anti-drainback valve is to prevent dry starts. Once again, I am just throwing out thoughts here. I think some members may have mentioned OEM filters don't even have an anti-drainback valve, but I could be mistaken about that, too.

As far as oil goes, I don't think these engines are that picky. I don't think using conventional oil would be an issue as long as it is changed within a decent interval. Than again, 0W-20 conventional doesn't exist. Given some other countries don't recommend 0W-20 for a Mirage I don't think that matters all that much either (within reason). I really believe the 0W-20 recommendation is just about economy (not so much about special engine protection). Just my opinion, not a real fact I can back up.

If you felt the Mobil 1 filter was better, you may want to consider going back to that? If the start ups are bothering you, you could change out the filter only & see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't improve things, you could probably save the filter & use it next time if it doesn't have that many miles on it. If changing the filter makes a difference, you can decide to toss it, too.

Last edited by Mark; 04-13-2021 at 03:46 AM.