Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here ordered one of these centre consol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Has anyone here ordered one of these centre consol

Has anyone here ordered one of these centre console.For there mirage.How was it and did it fit properly.ThanksName:  71O4RMnH8lL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  76.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is your generic Chinese armrest sold in 1,000 slightly different variations/colors everywhere from Ebay, Amazon, and Aliexpress. Much discussion already exists on the forum. These can fairly easily be found around $30 and it seems some of the new versions come with USB ports built in.

I have never had an OEM armrest so it's hard to tell how much worse it is but it's definitely cheaper and it looks shorter. The PU leather on top can easily come off after some use. It also wobbles a bit and they all come with the wobbly rear cupholder ashtray. It makes it harder to reach the ebrake because the unit extends out so far. Many people get an elbow friend/buddy thing to attach to it to make this more comfortable, less likely to wear, and raise it up a bit.

If you can get a good deal on one and just want a cheap center console it works fine enough. The inside has a little room to store stuff and a cheap piece of felt at the bottom. Personally I thought I really wanted one of these and then after a while I realized I didn't really need an armrest and took it back out but maybe one day I will swap it back in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will add here that the OEM armrest, while expensive, actually comes with a metal bracket that is used to bolt it to the main body of the car. It ends up being very solid.

These cheaper ones seem to just slot into the existing cupholder, which makes me feel like they would wobble a lot...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I will add here that the OEM armrest, while expensive, actually comes with a metal bracket that is used to bolt it to the main body of the car. It ends up being very solid.

These cheaper ones seem to just slot into the existing cupholder, which makes me feel like they would wobble a lot...
    The OEM armrest is solid, but it's quite small & useless. I am 6' 1", & I cannot grab the steering wheel while my elbow is resting on the armrest from any sitting position. I can touch the steering wheel with my finger tips, but you can't rest your elbow on the armrest while your hand is on the steering wheel. It offers some comfort when steering left handed only.

I like the factory center armrest on my Forester. It can be pushed back out of the way or pulled forward when needed.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on the factory armrest. It was added to my Mirage (listed on the window sticker) prior to purchase. My Mirage was delivered to my home without a prior test drive. If I was buying a new Mirage today, I would tell them to keep their lame armrest & add an aftermarket one or live without. I would probably just shove a firm pillow in that spot for longer trips (poor man's armrest), & it would be more comfortable/useful than a factory one.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I have the exact same one. Strap an Elbow friend on to it and it works nicely.Name:  Screenshot_20200708-102341_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  88.5 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Yep straps on and fits perfectly on that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The OEM armrest is solid, but it's quite small & useless. I am 6' 1", & I cannot grab the steering wheel while my elbow is resting on the armrest from any sitting position. I can touch the steering wheel with my finger tips, but you can't rest your elbow on the armrest while your hand is on the steering wheel. It offers some comfort when steering left handed only.
    I agree.

I am slowly teaching myself to drive with my left hand to enable use of the armrest. I keep telling myself that this is probably the "proper" way to drive (standard transmission would require your right hand to work the stick).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

The OEM one still blocks the back cupholder correct? I see they have that janky hinge top cupholder. Looks like you can't use the armrest if you want the cupholder?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    The OEM one still blocks the back cupholder correct? I see they have that janky hinge top cupholder. Looks like you can't use the armrest if you want the cupholder?
    Correct on everything said!

The bottom line is this - you can't rest your arm on it while your hand is on the steering wheel. Utterly stupid & would be a waste of money to buy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    This is your generic Chinese armrest sold in 1,000 slightly different variations/colors everywhere from Ebay, Amazon, and Aliexpress. Much discussion already exists on the forum. These can fairly easily be found around $30 and it seems some of the new versions come with USB ports built in.

I have never had an OEM armrest so it's hard to tell how much worse it is but it's definitely cheaper and it looks shorter. The PU leather on top can easily come off after some use. It also wobbles a bit and they all come with the wobbly rear cupholder ashtray. It makes it harder to reach the ebrake because the unit extends out so far. Many people get an elbow friend/buddy thing to attach to it to make this more comfortable, less likely to wear, and raise it up a bit.

If you can get a good deal on one and just want a cheap center console it works fine enough. The inside has a little room to store stuff and a cheap piece of felt at the bottom. Personally I thought I really wanted one of these and then after a while I realized I didn't really need an armrest and took it back out but maybe one day I will swap it back in.
    Partially correct. The top armrest cubby is generic, the bottom mount is specific to Mirage.

As I pointed out here:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rmrest-Options

(blank signature)