Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Interior Of My Corsa.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    To be fair if Americans complain about driving on the left side of the road, the British get to complain about Americans not adopting the easier Metric system. lol
    Ironically, it's called the British system, too! The entire world (except Liberia and Myanmar) can complain about us not going metric! We should have gone metric in the 1970's!

Students struggle with fractions in school. It's easier to move decimal points when using the metric system.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ironically, it's called the British system, too! The entire world (except Liberia and Myanmar) can complain about us not going metric! We should have gone metric in the 1970's!

Students struggle with fractions in school. It's easier to move decimal points when using the metric system.
    Easy is not an argument here. As Americans are too lazy to drive manuals, the use of the U.S. customary units is the only challenge which keeps them from becoming brain-dead.

Don't know why the Liberians and Myanmarians need an extra challenge. Seeing the news I think Myanmar is about to embrace the metric system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Easy is not an argument here. As Americans are too lazy to drive manuals, the use of the U.S. customary units is the only challenge which keeps them from becoming brain-dead.
    How do you really feel?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

itschad (03-06-2021),Mark (03-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Don't know why the Liberians and Myanmarians need an extra challenge. Seeing the news I think Myanmar is about to embrace the metric system.
    I love driving manuals & I have aways owned manuals. I never felt the need to bash those who prefer to drive automatics. I know some pretty hard working Americans that prefer to drive automatics. My parents would fall into that category.

As far as the metric system goes, America was an industrial powerhouse when the discussion of going metric was popular. The huge cost of changing everything was fought by many large industries. Some companies like Catepillar embraced the metric system, because they wanted to have more of a world market presence.

If using the Imperial system keeps us from going brain dead, I'm glad we still have it!

I don't judge America by just the world news, but then again I am smart enough to know better.

"One of the best things to experience when you're in an unfamiliar environment is friendly people. Fortunately, the Dutch people are open, welcoming and don't hesitate to engage when they pass you on the street." Jun 19, 2018

I've never been to the Netherlands. Sounds like it would be a nice place to visit!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (03-06-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    You could easily try. My wife and I sometimes shift as passenger, when the driver has only one hand left (Coffee, or something). It's easy when you get used to it. As soon as the driver presses the clutch, the passenger shifts.

/Edit: You are a driving instructor, aren't you? Didn't you ever shift for your students?
    This practice would be illegal in the UK. You are deemed to be not fully in control of your vehicle.
    I would nor recommend this.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    To be fair if Americans complain about driving on the left side of the road, the British get to complain about Americans not adopting the easier Metric system. lol
    I can only say that driving on the left is right.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I'd agree. When I was at school from1959 I was taught the Imperial system and so the years rolled on, then in 1969 the British government introduced the 50p coin and done away with the old 10 shilling note (commonly referred to as the 10 bob note.
    Then in February 1971 we went full decimal. Example, I went to bed one night knowing there were 240 pennies to the £1 (sterling) but when I awoke there was only a hundred!!! What the hell happened to the other 140?
    All my schooling down the drain then
    Last edited by itschad; 03-06-2021 at 06:14 AM. Reason: correction

Country
    UK
    Thanks

This just doesn't sound good to me. Why a verbal attack?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    This just doesn't sound good to me. Why a verbal attack?
    I'm sorry. It was meant to be a joke, but possibly my control of English isn't good enough to transfer the subtleties. Or my Dutch humor is just not compatible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I'm sorry. It was meant to be a joke, but possibly my control of English isn't good enough to transfer the subtleties. Or my Dutch humor is just not compatible.
    I understand that Wolfy but I'd certainly apoiogise to Mark and others as it come across as insulting.