Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spent over $930 on my '14 Mirage, worthy investment

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark and Fummins. Mark you are right, my tire situation has gone from 1 set of used Dunlops, that I paid $12.50 a piece for, to now having 8 brand new tires, and the one set is all-weather.

I will keep them on til whenever to test them in winter conditions.

I paid the exact same price Fummins as you did for the Solus, $69.99, so must be the same promotion. I guess you can't say how the fuel economy was on yours since you sold that car? They seem like good tires. To me, they have strange thread. Mark has explained to me the difference with the directional.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Thanks Mark and Fummins. Mark you are right, my tire situation has gone from 1 set of used Dunlops, that I paid $12.50 a piece for, to now having 8 brand new tires, and the one set is all-weather.

I paid the exact same price Fummins as you did for the Solus, $69.99, so must be the same promotion. I guess you can't say how the fuel economy was on yours since you sold that car? They seem like good tires. To me, they have strange thread. Mark has explained to me the difference with the directional.
    Directional snow tires have become really common the past few years. Some of the snow tires that I liked from the past no longer exist, because directional snow tires have taken their place.

Thus, I am not surprised to see an all-weather directional tire on the market. You'll have to give us an honest review over time. Traction, noise, ride, mileage, etc......

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires are asymmetrical tires. Meaning: one half of the tire looks different than the other half. That's their approach to an all-weather tire. Asymmetrical tires can still be rotated back/front & right/left.

I think you did great with the price, because a $70 tire there would be a $56 tire here. None of our typical 165/65r14 tire offerings are priced that low these days. Our days of buying affordable $40-45 Federal tires seem to be gone. Most of our typical 165/65r14 tire offerings are $70+ USD ($88+ Canadian) these days, which is still way better than the $150 USD ($189 Canadian) factory Dunlop tires.

Nope, never drove it more than a few miles. Plus the car had a new engine so I had no good baseline to compare with.

I just checked quattro, they're still a bargain. $304 all in,(tax,free shipping) to my door across the country. I don't know if they'd be the perfect winter tire, especially on slush or wet snow but anything is better than the stock tires or most a/s. I'd buy another set if I needed to. Having a fresh set of moccasins helped make my white car a fast sale. One less thing for someone to try and grind you about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Name:  hankook.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  66.7 KB

I had a look at my Hankooks. They are not directional. So regular style winter tire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I had a look at my Hankooks. They are not directional. So regular style winter tire.
    I had a look at your Hankooks. They are directional. Time for another holiday.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Your Hankook tires look directional to me.

They could be put on your Mirage backwards, & I would not do that.

You have two tires mounted on rims for the right side of your car, and two tires mounted on rims for the left side. They look like directional tires to me!

Edit: I second Fummins' take on your tires!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-09-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Gotchas. Well, I'm glad to be overstocked in the tire department for a while.

Go back living in the forest both of you lol. I have the same cardinals coming back to my backyard every year, nothing wrong with getting out there and enjoying nature, and not spending all summer watching baseball

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Mark (08-09-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Got new pads and discs on my Mirage today. I have everything up to snuff now, had the car oil sprayed on the hottest day of the year, just the other day, which is like half the days of the summer now. I should have gotten AC, but you aren't a millionaire by spending a million dollars.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got new pads and discs on my Mirage today. I have everything up to snuff now, had the car oil sprayed on the hottest day of the year, just the other day, which is like half the days of the summer now. I should have gotten AC, but you aren't a millionaire by spending a million dollars.
    This has been a hot, humid summer in Wisconsin, too! My 81 year old dad finally agreed to get central A/C for their house this summer. This summer pushed him over the edge finally. My mom is very happy about that!

My parents can afford A/C, & the electricity to run it. My dad was just being more stubborn than cheap. He pays cash for new vehicles. He can afford central air in the house, too!

I knew there was a reason that I'm not a millionaire yet. I bought a darn Mirage with A/C! In my defense, we don't have a non-A/C Mirage option here!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The most interesting part of the story wasn't the tires.

I was waiting outside, under the tent thing that the tire place set up. For customers to wait. Second time in a week I have sat under this tent. Well, today an older lady was there and we got to talking about various things, she is 93, getting her "old Honda" fixed. Also learned from overhearing her conversation with the mechanic, that I can do basic arithmetic faster than some people.