Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spent over $930 on my '14 Mirage, worthy investment

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    First rule of business is to make money. This is offtrack but if they need to make financials mandatory in school, because so many people get duped in various ways with their money, with high interest rates and that.

Anyways a business would be great if you owned the land and didn't have to pay commercial fees like the condo fees or maintenance fees. You would have to sell a lot of brakes and other things to customers all the time. You see the advantages of being your own boss, but also you would bring all that stress home.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I agree about teaching finances. But it's not hard to figure out if know basic math and pay attention.

I heard some old fart on the radio the other day complaining about people nowadays want stuff right now even if they don't have the money for it and older people tend to not spend what you don't have. He's not wrong. But it's kinda hard to save $400k for a house nowadays. Unless I take in my empties(made almost $100 last weekend!)

I couldn't be a boss. I'd be sued for saying something hilarious to someone.
    I do some work for people on the side once in a while. I hen pick who I'll help out and what jobs I'll do. It's been working out good, they save money and I get beer and gas money.

But I'd rather just do engine or transmission replacements for $500-1000 rather than nickle and dime oil changes and brake jobs.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I made around $3.80 in empties recently, 3 Labatt 50 12 pack bottles; 1 bud light lime tall boy aluminum can, and 1 Chimay trappist beer glass bottle from Belgium, that was very, very strong. Some beer stores in the city won't take those imported beer bottles.

So I just take my empties to my local shell gas station where there is no questions about it. And put the coin money toward my gas purchase then and there, and get air miles on my empties money. That usually goes towards gas or candy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Sounds like a different world over there. We gotta take our empties to an actual bottle depot. You'd get a deer in the headlights look if you walked into a liquor store or gas station with empty bottles and cans.

I'm usually too lazy to take them in so I usually just give them all away to whoever comes to the door doing a bottle drive but there hasn't been much of that since the kung flu.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Small town, so lots of businesses have multiple businesses, at once. Like the post office also has the service Canada place, and in the same building is the motor vehicles Ontario centre for your sticker.

Sears outlet store used to be out of the same post office. Gone now

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sounds like you've been putting a lot of time and money into upgrading and maintaining your Mirage! It's great that you're taking such good care of your car.
    One great way to track your car maintenance and check all upgrades you did is to use a online platform like nope, this platform will allow you to not just track the car performance, but also check on how much you spent, what will be your next steps and how much money did you saved on your insurance, this way you can be more aware on how much you are investing on your car and what's the return on investment.
    Investing in your car is always a good idea, regardless of whether you're looking to keep it for a long time, as it will eventually help you save more.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-18-2023 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Deleted the spam link

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darrylrose View Post
    Sounds like you've been putting a lot of time and money into upgrading and maintaining your Mirage! It's great that you're taking such good care of your car.
    One great way to track your car maintenance and check all upgrades you did is to use a online platform like nope, this platform will allow you to not just track the car performance, but also check on how much you spent, what will be your next steps and how much money did you saved on your insurance, this way you can be more aware on how much you are investing on your car and what's the return on investment.
    Investing in your car is always a good idea, regardless of whether you're looking to keep it for a long time, as it will eventually help you save more.
    I need Fummins' advice! Is this spam or legit?
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-18-2023 at 11:03 PM. Reason: removed spam link

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darrylrose View Post
    Ban Hammer Activated!!
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-18-2023 at 11:05 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-13-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have all the receipts for my Mirage with 1 or 2 missing gas receipts. I had a great program on my tablet to track it all, but that tablet died. I should go hunting as I think all the data was saved to some google drive thing. I'm kind of at the point now where I don't care that much what my cars are costing as I drive and enjoy them which won't change regardless of what I discover they cost me.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm kind of at the point now where I don't care that much what my cars are costing as I drive and enjoy them which won't change regardless of what I discover they cost me.
    I keep tabs on how much my repairs have cost on a sheet of paper, and date when I got them done.

Recently, I've done the serpentine belt, new transmission fluid, muffler, and new spark plugs. All the first time for these maintenance costs on my Mirage. My mileage at this point is @ 185,000 km's.

Past two years I have gotten the front brakes done and new winter and all-weather ("summer") tires.

My Mirage has been a pretty good for 9 years now. Looks new still. I wonder if I had gotten a red one, and not Thunder Grey, maybe the paint would have faded more.

I loved how clean it looks yesterday, that I even took a picture. Then I go drive on gravel roads and today looks the opposite.

Name:  IMG_20230113_143658.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  92.3 KB

Last edited by dspace9; 01-15-2023 at 09:38 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-18-2023),inuvik (01-16-2023)