Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Spent over $930 on my '14 Mirage, worthy investment

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Your car looks great. Most Mirages I've seen look very good. I guess a lot of other brands will look good also, the question is how much are they paying annually to keep those cars running?

I'm curious about the muffler. Did they replace the entire SS exhaust from the converter back or just the muffler? I plan, If I can, when my exhaust gives out, to buy a muffler, to TIG in the new muffler and keep as much of the SS system as I can. I'm too old to be replacing mild steel exhaust pipes every 18-24 months.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Your car looks great. Most Mirages I've seen look very good. I guess a lot of other brands will look good also, the question is how much are they paying annually to keep those cars running?

I'm curious about the muffler. Did they replace the entire SS exhaust from the converter back or just the muffler? I plan, If I can, when my exhaust gives out, to buy a muffler, to TIG in the new muffler and keep as much of the SS system as I can. I'm too old to be replacing mild steel exhaust pipes every 18-24 months.
    That was my one knock about my 1990 Ford Festiva. It was on its 9th muffler when I sold it. The factory muffler was replaced by a lifetime warranty Midas muffler, and Midas was on their 7th free one when I sold the car. Life span was approximately 1.5 years for a muffler.

They held moisture. I watched the water pour out of a few as they replaced them. The engine didn't throw enough heat to evaporate the water, especially if you did mostly short trips.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post

I just had the muffler replaced. I forgot to mention I hit some ice, or more specifically, ice that I thought was a blob of snow on the road. Well I damaged my front grille, but I narrowly missed the radiator, instead hitting that part on the left that's different with non-AC Mirages?

Anyway two people have said I hit it good, cause it could have been a lot more damage.

I picked up my Mirage today and I think the auto body did a great job; and they saved the grille, without me buying another(quote was $200 for that part)

I'm happy. Good deal, no taxes doesn't happen every day.

Here is a before an after:
    Name:  Before.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  44.9 KB
    Name:  After.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  83.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I just had the muffler replaced. I forgot to mention I hit some ice, or more specifically, ice that I thought was a blob of snow on the road. Well I damaged my front grille, but I narrowly missed the radiator, instead hitting that part on the left that's different with non-AC Mirages?

Anyway two people have said I hit it good, cause it could have been a lot more damage.

I picked up my Mirage today and I think the auto body did a great job; and they saved the grille, without me buying another(quote was $200 for that part)

I have a bit of road rash on the bottom of my front bumper. I hit a tire gator driving across Indiana last year. I was in heavy traffic & had no where to swerve. I took it head on. It sounded horrible, but thankfully it didn't disable the car.

Your repair looks good!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-16-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It was on its 9th muffler when I sold it.

The engine didn't throw enough heat to evaporate the water, especially if you did mostly short trips.
    I don't get the Midas deal. In your case, unless the mufflers were $5 wholesale I'm certain Midas lost money on you. I know they lost it on me as both our Tempos tossed a muffler a year and Midas was on the hook for them. So 2 mufflers a year for 6-7 years.

Once I learned that the exhaust shops cut out the stainless part from the converter to the muffler I stopped using them. Funny how my only muffler in my 2000 Caravan never gave out. If it had I would have found a stainless replacement and tigged it in myself.

I hope the oil pan heater I will install gets the engine to temp faster, and the exhaust hot quicker it doesn't retain water. Hm, it's almost worth driling a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the muffler to let it drain freely. I'm going to crawl under and look, once the snow melts.

Here is a before an after:
    Name:  Before.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  44.9 KB
    Name:  After.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  83.1 KB
    Really nice repair. I'd stick with that shop if I were you.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-17-2023 at 12:17 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-16-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Repair was done at a family owned local business. Honestly I am impressed with their repair. With what they were working with, they really got the grille in there nice. It's all flush and fitted. Looks almost as good as new.

And when you look under the hood, the bent metal is straight again. You wouldn't know I had the minor accident.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    I loved how clean it looks yesterday, that I even took a picture. Then I go drive on gravel roads and today looks the opposite.

Attachment 24609
    That 2014 looks great from here. Hats off to your preservation efforts. Here's to many many more kilometers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-19-2023)