Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, Which Is Worse?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We had the Chevy Aveo here. I have never owned a GM vehicle even though that's all my Dad & brother drive.

The Chevy Aveo was sort of replaced by both Sonic and the Spark. Even though there are 20+ Chevy dealerships closer to me than any Mitsubishi dealership, I never even bothered to look at a Spark.

For the money, there's nothing I like driving better than a 5-speed manual Mirage.

I know you didn't care the seats in a Mirage, but I have no issue with them. Then again, I think nothing of sitting on a hang-on treestand 20'+ feet up in the air with my back up against a tree for 4-hours when I am bowhunting. Compared to that, a Mirage seat feels like a recliner in my living room. I really don't find the Mirage uncomfortable to drive & I am 6' 1" & well over 250 pounds.
    Christ, I looked at the Spark...................... then I looked away. Not for me. The engine in the Aveo wasn't a bad job, I had the 1.4 litre. Funny, I'm 6ft 1" and 17 stone (around 240lbs methinks) but it's horses for courses I guess. The biggest bugbear was the crashing over road imperfections. They are so rare here, I literally haven't seen one in months.

So you're a hunter too, I do guns for small game, i.e wood pigeons, rabbits, pheasants and the like. I had a crossbow back in London in the early 70's but by 1976 into shotguns.

Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Christ, I looked at the Spark...................... then I looked away. Not for me. The engine in the Aveo wasn't a bad job, I had the 1.4 litre. Funny, I'm 6ft 1" and 17 stone (around 240lbs methinks) but it's horses for courses I guess. The biggest bugbear was the crashing over road imperfections. They are so rare here, I literally haven't seen one in months.

So you're a hunter too, I do guns for small game, i.e wood pigeons, rabbits, pheasants and the like. I had a crossbow back in London in the early 70's but by 1976 into shotguns.
    Our frost heaves are alive & well on the back roads of Wisconsin lately. The Mirage does take those hard. I will grant you that.

I was window shopping for crossbows the other day while my compound bow was being set up with new cables/string. Even though I have been an avid bowhunter for 35 years or so, it was the first time I shot a crossbow. They are accurate these days, but I think I am sticking with my compound bow for a few more years.

I used to do more small game hunting as kid. My younger brother always had a beagle, & we had many good times with them. Since buying my own hunting land in 2002, I've hunted deer & turkeys mostly. Nothing gets my blood pumping more than a nice buck coming down a runway or a big old Tom gobbling as he comes in to one's calling. I feel blessed to have a 72 acres wooded backyard that I can call my own. It's time to get back to splitting some more firewood. Working on next year's stack already. Trying to get things like that out of the way before the turkey seasons start this spring!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Yes it does DD, I looked into buying one, we have the 1.0 litre 3 banger that produces 99 bhp, they call it the Ecoboost. However, a bit of research proves that and the 1.6 litre engine are prone to go bang with a serious fire in some cases. That's not good so I dismissed it before it dismissed me.
    See attached, how a major car manufacturer can get away with it for so long is beyond me.
    https://youtu.be/7iGDEqRBr14
    They still had to pay 1700 pounds! Unbelievable. Does Ford still not manufacture the old Fiesta in the UK? The one without the Ecoboost? I see a few of the C-Max Fords over here and I think that's the same vehicle as the one in the UK, but I haven't heard anything about its reliability. It's nice though that over there you are taught from a young age to drive a manual, avoiding the massive amounts of auto transmission failures that you see here.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    They still had to pay 1700 pounds! Unbelievable. Does Ford still not manufacture the old Fiesta in the UK? The one without the Ecoboost? I see a few of the C-Max Fords over here and I think that's the same vehicle as the one in the UK, but I haven't heard anything about its reliability. It's nice though that over there you are taught from a young age to drive a manual, avoiding the massive amounts of auto transmission failures that you see here.
    I passed my test in 1976 in a manual which allowed me to drive an automatic too, if one passed his/her test in an automatic they have to stick to an automatic. Had two automatics, Ford 3 litre Granada GXL and a Mercedes C240 Elegance all leathered up but I much prefer manual as one gets more control. I'm not a fan of the CVT gearbox, admittedly some are better than others.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    After 2030 the UK will ban all new car sales of petrol or diesel, just a bloody electric so most, well all, manufactures are not investing coinage of the realm into new engine development. I gave up on Ford after 1989 after a Ford Sierra estate car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After 2030 the UK will ban all new car sales of petrol or diesel, just a bloody electric.

Less than 9 years away, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm betting modifications will be made to that plan between now and then.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Less than 9 years away, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm betting modifications will be made to that plan between now and then.
    According to BoJo and his lot the UK is commited to phase out ALL petrol and diesel by 2030. Now what BoJo says BoJo means.

UK to ban sales of petrol and diesel cars by 2030 in zero ...www.intelligenttransport.com › News

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if big commercial vehicles, busses, trains and planes will all become electric. Cruise ships and boats?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I wonder if big commercial vehicles, busses, trains and planes will all become electric. Cruise ships and boats?
    Busses will, I look forward to all electric planes, that'll be fun. Trains are all electric here except touristy steam trains.. I can envisage nuclear powered ships. I doubt whether very much I'll be in existence by then.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Busses will, I look forward to all electric planes, that'll be fun. Trains are all electric here except touristy steam trains.. I can envisage nuclear powered ships. I doubt whether very much I'll be in existence by then.
    Hydrogen powered cars would be fantastic! Just dealing with the radioactive waste is really the only issue IMO.