Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, Which Is Worse?

Country
    UK
    Thanks

So, Which Is Worse?

I've been driving for 45 years and have been interested in cars ever since I blinked. I don't like sports cars, Lambo's, Ferrari or what you call Muscle Cars, neither has interested me.
    So over the years there have been two cars that I just cannot understand why they were launched.
    My old woman and I were looking at cars and came across a Chrysler PT Cruiser which had a number plate that could have been my personal plate. Took it for a drive, the salesman said take it for a good two hour test. Well after five minutes it went back and we both run like hell. It was awful, like living in a plastics factory, drove in a straight line okay but show it a bend or corner it was awful, a Roman Chariot would have been better.Name:  056250100_1214997561-820x547.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  63.6 KB

Then the AMC Pacer, don't think that arrived in the UK, it's ugliness meant it would have been sent back.
    Why they thought to build such an atrocity is beyond me.Name:  20190527121919-1559062374530.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  60.7 KB

We had our moments too. Morris Marina, yes I bought one. A 1974 offering that had 40 year old underpinnings.Name:  1974_Morris_Marina_DL_1.8_Front.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  99.0 KB

Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    AMCs are weird cars for sure, American Motors Corporation I believe, bought out by Chrysler in the 80s so they could get the Jeep brand.

There's an old AMC dealer not far from my house, one of those Instagram rustic falling apart hits on there, I think the land finally got sold. Didn't say AMC on the front anymore, but said "GAS" in a way that made it rustic/photogenic. Probably a house there now, with an oversized roof and 5 car garage now lol. Sorry unrelated but I find only 1 in 10 new houses are good looking, same goes with cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I like the all around visibility of that Pacer though. I'm sure though if you flipped it that roof would cave in.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I still see plenty of PT Cruisers in Atlanta, usually beat to hell and covered in bumper stickers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Our families nickname for the PT Cruiser is the "PT Barnum". There's a sucker born every minute lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Our families nickname for the PT Cruiser is the "PT Barnum". There's a sucker born every minute lol
    I hate to kick someone when they are down, but Chrysler wouldn't exist without the Jeep brand (blind loyalty) & their RAM trucks.

Having said that, my neighbor got over 500,000 miles on his 8-cylinder Dodge Dakota pickup truck, before he parked it for good next to his house. He bought another used one recently with under 150,000 miles on it, and it seems like a new truck to him. He uses his trucks pretty hard, too. I see him pulling large loads of round bales, and other stuff with his truck all the time.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I hate to kick someone when they are down, but Chrysler wouldn't exist without the Jeep brand (blind loyalty) & their RAM trucks.

Having said that, my neighbor got over 500,000 miles on his 8-cylinder Dodge Dakota pickup truck, before he parked it for good next to his house. He bought another used one recently with under 150,000 miles on it, and it seems like a new truck to him. He uses his trucks pretty hard, too. I see him pulling large loads of round bales, and other stuff with his truck all the time.
    Chrysler do not operate in the UK anymore, am I saddened? well, err, no. I had another US branded vehicle, a Chevrolet Aveo, don't know if it was available over there but another that has no outlets in the UK. Never known a Chevrolet to have a working air con system, used to ask everyone I ever met with a Chevrolet. An ex Daewoo. Speaks volumes..

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Chrysler do not operate in the UK anymore, am I saddened? well, err, no. I had another US branded vehicle, a Chevrolet Aveo, don't know if it was available over there but another that has no outlets in the UK. Never known a Chevrolet to have a working air con system, used to ask everyone I ever met with a Chevrolet. An ex Daewoo. Speaks volumes..
    Seems like the Ford Fiesta does really well in the UK though?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Seems like the Ford Fiesta does really well in the UK though?
    Yes it does DD, I looked into buying one, we have the 1.0 litre 3 banger that produces 99 bhp, they call it the Ecoboost. However, a bit of research proves that and the 1.6 litre engine are prone to go bang with a serious fire in some cases. That's not good so I dismissed it before it dismissed me.
    See attached, how a major car manufacturer can get away with it for so long is beyond me.
    https://youtu.be/7iGDEqRBr14

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    We had the Chevy Aveo here. I have never owned a GM vehicle even though that's all my Dad & brother drive.

The Chevy Aveo was sort of replaced by both Sonic and the Spark. Even though there are 20+ Chevy dealerships closer to me than any Mitsubishi dealership, I never even bothered to look at a Spark.

For the money, there's nothing I like driving better than a 5-speed manual Mirage.

I know you didn't care for the seats in a Mirage, but I have no issue with them. Then again, I think nothing of sitting on a hang-on treestand 20'+ feet up in the air with my back up against a tree for 4-hours when I am bowhunting. Compared to that, a Mirage seat feels like a recliner in my living room. I really don't find the Mirage uncomfortable to drive & I am 6' 1" & well over 250 pounds.

Last edited by Mark; 03-08-2021 at 03:57 PM.