Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, Which Is Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hydrogen powered cars would be fantastic! Just dealing with the radioactive waste is really the only issue IMO.
    Are you high today? wait, wrong thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are you high today? wait, wrong thread.
    Yes and a link
    https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/hy...cleaner-future

It could happen?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Then the AMC Pacer, don't think that arrived in the UK, it's ugliness meant it would have been sent back.
    Why they thought to build such an atrocity is beyond me.Attachment 20744
    I owned one AMC - a 1979 Spirit (fastback version of the Gremlin) that an aunt gave me. Had rust holes on the tops of the fenders big enough to put your arm through. Objectively the worst car I've ever owned, and the only one with manual (no vacuum assist) brakes.

I remember the Pacer was supposed to be a Tardis: small on the outside and big on the inside. It really was unusually wide for such a small car. The way AMC did things, it was probably built on a shortened chassis of their big car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I owned one AMC - a 1979 Spirit (fastback version of the Gremlin) that an aunt gave me. Had rust holes on the tops of the fenders big enough to put your arm through. Objectively the worst car I've ever owned, and the only one with manual (no vacuum assist) brakes.

I remember the Pacer was supposed to be a Tardis: small on the outside and big on the inside. It really was unusually wide for such a small car. The way AMC did things, it was probably built on a shortened chassis of their big car.
    Wow, what on earth did you do to upset her so?
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I didn't read the whole thread, but have some comments. The PT Cruiser, is admittedly a heaping disappointment. However, it's release back in about 1999 or 2000 (something like that) was timed to help Chrysler with some kind of CAFE issue, or something similar.

Chrysler managed to get the PT Cruiser classified as a truck. And as such, since it was a 4 cylinder with ~30 mpg rating, Chrysler was then allowed to sell more pick-up trucks. Because, seems like there was an average mpg OEM mandate (CAFE). And Chrysler was truck heavy and their mpg wasn't going to meet the mandate. So, the PT Cruiser was conceived and released as a "truck." It brought the average mpg up, which allowed Chrysler to maintain or increase their truck sales. Chrysler hyped the PT Cruiser, but it was never meant to be much of a vehicle. They just needed it to sale for the aforementioned reason.

That goes to show you the value of such mandates such as CAFE. When worthless rules are conceived out of thin air, the auto industry just finds a way around them. Does / did the CAFE mandate really amount to much? You decide.

The Pacer ... it is so ugly, that I find it very cool. It would be cool to have a clean one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, but have some comments. The PT Cruiser, is admittedly a heaping disappointment. However, it's release back in about 1999 or 2000 (something like that) was timed to help Chrysler with some kind of CAFE issue, or something similar.

Chrysler managed to get the PT Cruiser classified as a truck. And as such, since it was a 4 cylinder with ~30 mpg rating, Chrysler was then allowed to sell more pick-up trucks. Because, seems like there was an average mpg OEM mandate (CAFE). And Chrysler was truck heavy and their mpg wasn't going to meet the mandate. So, the PT Cruiser was conceived and released as a "truck." It brought the average mpg up, which allowed Chrysler to maintain or increase their truck sales. Chrysler hyped the PT Cruiser, but it was never meant to be much of a vehicle. They just needed it to sale for the aforementioned reason.

That goes to show you the value of such mandates such as CAFE. When worthless rules are conceived out of thin air, the auto industry just finds a way around them. Does / did the CAFE mandate really amount to much? You decide.

The Pacer ... it is so ugly, that I find it very cool. It would be cool to have a clean one.
    When it was launched in the UK in 2000 it actually caught the attention of the public because of its retro looks. I actually liked the look of it at launch but the interior was awful, nailed, glued and taped together, then there was the noise and agricultural driving manners, well, it had none.
    Not familiar with CAFE mandate!! What is that?

Okay, just goggled CAFE and found it. Never had it here but I do remember that oil crisis.

Last edited by itschad; 03-17-2021 at 07:05 AM. Reason: correction
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional