Thread: oil filter torque spec

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

oil filter torque spec

hello friends,

i bought a used 2015 mirage and the fun wrench icon is on indicating its due for an oil change. Ive never done an oil change in my life. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the torque spec of the oil filter is? id feel really uncomfortable hand tightening the oil filter.

The service manaual says to find the torque spec on the caution label on the oil filter, but ive never held one of these filter before?

also does anyone have any advice on jacking vehcle?, and accessing the filter? should i remove the plastic thing under the car or will the cutout be enough for me to access the filter?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    hello friends,

i bought a used 2015 mirage and the fun wrench icon is on indicating its due for an oil change. Ive never done an oil change in my life. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the torque spec of the oil filter is? id feel really uncomfortable hand tightening the oil filter.

The service manaual says to find the torque spec on the caution label on the oil filter, but ive never held one of these filter before?

also does anyone have any advice on jacking vehcle?, and accessing the filter? should i remove the plastic thing under the car or will the cutout be enough for me to access the filter?
    I've done 9 oil changes on my Mirage so far, & I haven't taken any of the oil filters off from the bottom. I stand up & remove them from the top. Factory filter may be the hardest to remove. Don't put the next one on that tight.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-12-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Are you not concerned with oil falling from the filter onto the starter motor if removed from the top?

Also, Do you have a tool recommendation for how to remove the filter?

Do you only hand tighten or do you use a tool?

And finally do you have tips on how tight the filter should go on? im very concerned about it coming loose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Do you have a tool recommendation for how to remove the filter?
    You can get an oil filter wrench at any auto parts store (make sure it fits your filter size). As long as the person who did the last oil change didn't over-tighten the filter, any cheap filter wrench should be able to remove it. If the filter was put on way too tight, a better oil filter socket like this one may be required.

Do you only hand tighten or do you use a tool?
    Follow foama's advice on this. Only use a tool to remove the old filter. Do not use it to install the new filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The best access to the oil filter is from the top!
    The original filter is over-tightened in the factory and is difficult to remove because too tight. A filter cap-wrench size 65/14 is very much help getting it off. Those are cheap and easily available. Some oil (about 0.1L?) will flow from the filter while being removed. Put someting under the car to catch it, and use a rag for wiping up.

1.) When putting the new filter in, oil the rubber gasket first. Btw, I prefer the OP525 Filtron filter.
    2.) Turn the filter lightly with fingers until the gasket just begins to touch the engine block, then from there on, exactly 3/4 a turn more by hand. This is the correct official specification for installation, and next time you can do it easily with bare hands.

Tightening instructions are usually printed on the filter.
    I weigh about 60Kg and have no problem removing or installing it by hand.
    Last edited by foama; 03-09-2021 at 07:28 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been removing mine from the bottom with my hand. It wasn't easy the first time but I've always gotten it eventually. Then hand tighten the new one on. I am not sure how you guys contort your hand so the top is easier. The bottom is easy after you take the plastic panel off...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

hello friends,

I sometimes use this filter socket. https://www.amazon.ca/GearWrench-Too.../dp/B0002SR4AY It fits the mitsubishi brand filters and probably aftermarket ones too.. Using one of these is almost necessary if someone ran into **** all the time, if you hit a parking curb with the front bumper you usually bend the inner structure which will push the rads and fan towards the filter making it almost impossible to get a good grip on the filter by hand.

I have a set of these ramps that work fine with the Mirage https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...-0091519p.html I got them on sale for $50 or $60. They're not necessary but make life easier.

I can't get the filter off from the top on these cars and I don't have fat arms. Pulling the plastic shield isn't necessary but will help give you more room to get a better grip and allow you to see what you're doing.

As for torque specs, I'll let someone else attempt to explain that one. Don't tighten the filter so tight that it starts to crumple. I just tighten the filter by hand, no torque wrench. If in doubt find someone to make sure it's tight enough. If it leaks it's loose.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-08-2021 at 12:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    hello friends,

I have big fat arms, & I have taken all of Mirage oil filters off from the top. If I don't have to lay on back/under it, I would rather take the oil filter off from the top. Since you're not going to get the factory one off with your hand, I suggest buying a metal oil filter socket. I reach around both sides the radiator hose from the top with both hands to manipulate the oil filter. I can't really grab it well enough to tighten or loose by hand from the top, & that is where the oil filter socket comes in. I don't use any extension, & I find a stubby handled 3/8" drive ratchet works the best. Any 3/8" drive ratchet will work, however. I have both the plastic & metal oil filter socket. The plastic one would not take off the factory oil filter. Thus, I would go with a metal one. Even if I did put them on by hand from underneath, I would want an oil filter socket in case it doesn't come off that easy. Always oil the new gasket before putting on a new oil filter.

I would buy a metal oil filter socket when picking up a Mirage oil filter. 65mm/14 flutes seems to be the one for most Mirage oil filters, but it's still good to check it out at the store.

I have this one (bought at Blain's Farm & Fleet store nearby), but other good ones exist -

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...5212451&sr=8-8

I would buy a metal one that fits a 3/8" drive socket & avoid the larger 1/2" drive ones unless you have good 1/2" ratchet drive to go with it. Having to use an 1/2" to 3/8" adapter takes away needed room to use it.

I use my Mirage for 90% of my driving now. Thus, I change oil in it more frequently than my Forester. I added the Fumoto oil drain valve to save time and not have to worry about replacing oil plug washers. It's just something to think about in the future. Adding a new washer is not a big deal either.

I made ramps out of some scrap 2" x 8" boards I had. I screwed three of them together for each side, which lifts my Mirage about 5" when I drive up them. I have 4"x4" blocks screwed on the end so I don't accidentally drive over it. I feel the oil pan drains a little better at the slight angle, & I can roll underneath with my mechanic's creeper better. I use two old kitty litter trays or plastic dish wash tubs to catch the oil from the oil pan & oil filter. I let the oil drain from the Fumoto oil drain valve while I am changing out oil filters from the top. The second pan catches the oil from the oil filter. You will have some oil drain from the filter regardless of how you do it.

A metal oil filter socket will allow you to loosen or tighten the oil filter from the top. Unless you are a gorilla with rubber padded fingers, you aren't going to get the factory oil filter off from the top or bottom without a tool. Thus, I feel buying a good metal oil filter socket may be worth it in the long run. Removing plastic is not something I would do, but apparently that works for some. You'll have to decide what works best for you. I changed oil in my driveway when it was -25F outside a few weeks ago. It didn't take me very long with the proper tool, ramps, and Fumoto valve.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-08-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Unless you are a gorilla with rubber padded fingers, you aren't going to get the factory oil filter off from the top or bottom without a tool.
    Thanks for calling me a gorilla

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Thanks for calling me a gorilla
    Did you honestly take off the original Mirage oil filter with your bare hand? If so, you are not someone I would mess with!

P.S. - I love gorillas. They are awesome creatures!

The factory oil filter was on my Mirage so tight, the square part of the ratchet would spin within the plastic oil filter socket. It took a lot of torque with a good metal socket to get the original one off.