Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVT hum/whine

Country
    United States
    Thanks

CVT hum/whine

So I made it to 77,000 miles and have decided to sell my 2014 ES. I figured with the price of gas right now I'll never be able to get more for it than right now. Well... It seems to have developed a hum or whine that's very noticeable between 40-45 mph and @ 2,000 rpm. I'm thinking it sounds like it's coming from the CVT. Anybody else experienced this? I've read that much higher mileage units might do this. Just changed trans fluid last week and it's had regular service prior. Fluid always nice looking, never burnt. Need to figure this out quick because I don't want to sell it to anybody if the trans is getting ready to take a dump. Fummins, you out there?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Did you use OEM fluid?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Been using Valvoline J4 spec fluid. The noise was present prior to last week's trans fluid change.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just for a goof, when you hear the noise, let your foot off the throttle & slip it into neutral & see if the noise is still there. It may also be cupping on the tires (have a look or rotate them & see if the noise changes) or a wheel bearing starting to go bad. Does it change as you go around corners???
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No cupping on tires, and I did rotate them, no change. Don't normally go around corners @ 40+ mph, so can't say. LOL
    No cv joint clicking or noise heard. I'll have to try throwing it in neutral. Started to try that Friday, but too many people riding on my butt at the time.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Don't normally go around corners @ 40+ mph, so can't say. LOL
    Most of the highways I drive on have corners in them that I don't slow down for . I even have to take ramps to get on & off the highway sometimes... Just slightly move from the left of the lane to the right of the lane (while staying in the lane) is usually enough to hear a bad wheel bearing. All you have to do is change the load on it & if it's starting to go bad, the noise will change... Or lift the car on a hoist, run it up in drive & listen to the spindles with a stethoscope. I DO NOT recommend doing this on Jack Stands as it can turn really ugly in a hurry if something slips...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Your car's symptoms don't sound a CVT failure to me. Did you notice the "D" flash ever? Its over heating that kills the CVT7, that or the steel belt snapping off a cone. I bet its a wheel bearing. Sounds just like symptoms I had with my old 2014 Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your car's symptoms don't sound a CVT failure to me. Did you notice the "D" flash ever? Its over heating that kills the CVT7, that or the steel belt snapping off a cone. I bet its a wheel bearing. Sounds just like symptoms I had with my old 2014 Mirage.
    What were your symptoms, and mileage when yours went bad? Thanks

Just went for a drive. Getting up to speed and putting it in neutral doesn't seem to make the noise go away. I thought one time the drivers side wheel bearing may have gotten noisier when I loaded it by swerving to the right. Could not duplicate it a second time. Sure would rather have a wheel bearing going out than a cvt bearing.
    Last edited by Car Nut; 04-10-2022 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added info

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What were your symptoms, and mileage when yours went bad? Thanks

Just went for a drive. Getting up to speed and putting it in neutral doesn't seem to make the noise go away. I thought one time the drivers side wheel bearing may have gotten noisier when I loaded it by swerving to the right. Could not duplicate it a second time. Sure would rather have a wheel bearing going out than a cvt bearing.
    70k miles or so? It was a wind whining noise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Just went for a drive. Getting up to speed and putting it in neutral doesn't seem to make the noise go away.
    That tends to confirm that it is NOT the CVT. If it were the CVT, the noise would have gone away. It sounds like it is a tire making noise, or a wheel bearing as suggested / suspected.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (04-12-2022)