Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 speed wont go into 1st gear

Country
    United States
    Thanks

5 speed wont go into 1st gear

2014 with 155k miles trans only has 48k replaced it a little over a year ago. Thread here: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rear-main-seal

Fresh off my battery overcharging issue, now it wont go into 1st gear unless i double clutch and i'm almost completely stopped. Its become very inconvenient when i'm slowing for an uphill red light and it turns green. If i'm too slow for 2nd gear and it wont go into 1st i have to slow to nearly stopped and double clutch into 1st. With only 48k on the trans i wouldn't think the synchros are worn out. The other gear changes aren't what i'd call smooth, but they aren't difficult in any way.

Got 2 quarts of Redline on deck for a fluid change this weekend.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dusty

Have you ever adjusted the clutch cable?

When down shifting to 1st maybe try shifting from a higher gear like 3rd or 4th instead of 2nd then first and see if that's easier. It's not a cure but a work around. I would hope they syncros aren't worn already, if so either you got a lemon, it's low on fluid and clapped out or the only other explanation lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dustyb (03-10-2021)

Subscribed.

Hopefully it's just the cable adjustment. I had the same symptoms happen after swapping transmissions once, but it was *immediately* apparent. Cable adjustment fixed it.

But you replaced this trans many miles ago.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dustyb (03-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not adjusted the cable. this trans has been in the car for 27k. It had 21k on it when i got it. Do synchros wear out slowly? This just kind of happened suddenly on my way home from work a few days ago. Can someone link the service manual procedure for cable adjustment?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Check this related thread...

How to adjust clutch engagement point

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dustyb (03-10-2021),MetroMPG (03-10-2021)

A few people had the clutch cables break at the transmission side. Something else to look for(ward to).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    @ dustyb

What you describe is exactly what happens with any manual if the gears are not switched correctly!

When changing gear, you hold the gearstick with thumb and two fingers. You start moving the lever slowly towards where the next gear is with ever so little pressure, and then wait! Yes wait, for a second or so until the gear plops in by itself. Don't let the shape of the knob fool you into applying force.
    Should you use any force at all, the synchro rings will suffer wear, and gears will become more and more difficult to engage time after time!

If you yank the gears race car style, the synchro rings will be worn out in no time.

What can you do now after the synchro rings have become worn?

1.) Put thinner fully-synthetic gearbox oil in. You have Redline or Rowe brand GL4 75W or 75W/80. Thats perfect.
    2.) Learn how to change gears properly!
    Doing both points above, you might get by without further repairs. It will certainly help some, but If that fails to help enough, either:

Replace the transmission ($$$!!!)
    - or -
    Replace the synchro rings ($$)

No matter what you do from there on, let the gears simply plop in by themselves, and most important, don't apply any force on the lever!

Just in case, you could also check the clutch. See:

Name:  clutch.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  60.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyb View Post
    2014 with 155k miles trans only has 48k replaced it a little over a year ago. Thread here: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rear-main-seal

Fresh off my battery overcharging issue, now it wont go into 1st gear unless i double clutch and i'm almost completely stopped. Its become very inconvenient when i'm slowing for an uphill red light and it turns green. If i'm too slow for 2nd gear and it wont go into 1st i have to slow to nearly stopped and double clutch into 1st. With only 48k on the trans i wouldn't think the synchros are worn out. The other gear changes aren't what i'd call smooth, but they aren't difficult in any way.

Got 2 quarts of Redline on deck for a fluid change this weekend.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dusty
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your manual transmission. 1st gear can be a lot like reverse for manuals. Most of time, 1st & reverse are used after you come to a stop. I understand the need to maybe drop into 1st on a steep incline at a stop sign or traffic lights. If you can make it happen in 2nd, I would go that route.

I don't even use 1st gear when I take off at times. I may downshift to 3rd or 2nd to make turns or climb steep hills, but I seldom drop down to 1st. 1st is sort of meant to get your rolling from a stopped position. I don't shift into reverse while the car is still rolling, & I would say the same about 1st gear most of the time. If I am still rolling, I skip 1st and use 2nd.

I learned to drive 10-speed manual semi-truck last fall. 1st gear was never used once. My instructor wanted me to always start in 3rd, but I sometimes used 2nd when he wasn't around. Unless we were pulling a load or something, we started in 2nd gear with our old pickup trucks as a kid. The exception were the old 3-speeds on a column vehicles. Those were geared fast, and you needed to use all three gears to take off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like typical Mitsubishi bull****. Shift threw some gears then go to first. Once the cars warmed up though it should be less of and issue. If you're constantly having the issue every stop yeah then it sounds like more is going on.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If its not the cable adjustment. A dragging clutch will cause this as well. As long as the transmission goes into 1st gear with the engine off, its more likely that it's a clutch/adjustment issue.

'17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed