Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 speed wont go into 1st gear

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    If its not the cable adjustment. A dragging clutch will cause this as well. As long as the transmission goes into 1st gear with the engine off, its more likely that it's a clutch/adjustment issue.
    I never read where his car wouldn't go into 1st gear? I've been driving manuals for 45 years, & I have never downshifted into 1st gear. I only use 1st gear if I have come to stop. The same can be said for reverse.

I don't think there is anything wrong with his manual transmission, nor do I think warming up the car makes any difference. My Mirage doesn't shift differently when cold, & I have done some -20F shifting. It's probably the best cold weather manual, I have driven. I can sense a slight difference with my Subaru Forester manual during the extreme cold.

My Dad's old Farmall H tractor (mighty thick transmission oil that may be 70+ years old) may require two hands to shift when it's that cold. By comparison, shifting the Mirage in the cold is nothing. I really don't notice any difference.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ah yes, I read that wrong. I thought it wouldn't go into when completely stopped.

I notice my Mirage is a bit more difficult to engage first gear when already moving. This is likely due to the quite short first gear requiring the input shaft and clutch disc to spin up significantly more.

My truck with its 3.9:1 first gear did the exact same thing. You could actually hear everything spin up when sifting into first while moving.

A dragging clutch due to misadjustment, or warpage/failure will definitely make it even harder to shift into 1st gear.

I typically go don't use first unless I'm at a complete stop either.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pimp_Daddy_Patty For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    Ah yes, I read that wrong. I thought it wouldn't go into when completely stopped.

I notice my Mirage is a bit more difficult to engage first gear when already moving. This is likely due to the quite short first gear requiring the input shaft and clutch disc to spin up significantly more.

My truck with its 3.9:1 first gear did the exact same thing. You could actually hear everything spin up when sifting into first while moving.

A dragging clutch due to misadjustment, or warpage/failure will definitely make it even harder to shift into 1st gear.

I typically go don't use first unless I'm at a complete stop either.
    I'm on the same page as you. I see others giving him suggestions, & I am thinking there's nothing wrong with his manual transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like he isn't rev-matching to engage 1st. I would just take the acceleration penalty of 2nd gear in those situations.

One other thing I have notice with the manual shifter is that the plastic is soft and wears quickly if the lubrication on the upper left side of the ball is gone. Pop the shifter boot out of the way and verify that there is still white grease on all of the wear surfaces. Mine was dry at 94k miles. I can only imagine how much play there could be after 155k miles if the lubrication is gone. This would also cause 2nd gear to be a little difficult to engage though.

I miss the solid shift linkages of my BMW and VW golfs of the past.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I owned a Chevette back in the day that wouldn't engage 1st while moving (with the clutch depressed) I was arguing with a relative that "sure, it'll go into first while rolling!" ....turned out it wouldn't.
    The transmission also had a lock out feature for reverse, sort of neat...you had to push the lever 'down' to engage reverse.That kept it from being stolen one day, the drunk kept inching forward until he ran out of room.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-19-2021)

These days, the drunk probably wouldn't even know how to start the car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Too bad dustyb never came back to this thread to say whether/how the problem was resolved!

(Says the guy whose Mirage has suddenly developed shifting problems. I'm guessing my cable is about to break, but am just starting to noodle it out.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Too bad dustyb never came back to this thread to say whether/how the problem was resolved!

(Says the guy whose Mirage has suddenly developed shifting problems. I'm guessing my cable is about to break, but am just starting to noodle it out.)
    Attachment 24970
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-02-2023 at 07:56 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-30-2023),Top_Fuel (03-30-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had similar issues before changing my transmission.

When they pulled my transmission, they sent me a photo of toothless gears or something like that. These 5MT remind me of the "glass" Subaru transmissions of yesteryear. Though I abused the car so maybe it's not the tranny's fault.

Yeah, toothless gears = worn out synchros. Not a surprise with an aggressively (fast) shifted car. Evident on 1 or 2 synchros more than others.

My car's new thing is: difficulty going into ANY gear. Most noticeable when the engine is OFF. So I'm thinking (hoping): clutch adjustment.

I'm going to go outside right now and mess with the adjuster and see what happens...

EDIT: I'm back! My problem was an adjustment issue. Shifting normally again.