Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gray Mirage, hit and run. Vid.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This guy was definitely sniffing his own farts a little too much, but it's nice to see the situation was resolved in everyone's best interest. Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Would he have been well within his rights to get the police involved and put the other person through the wringer? Certainly. But as it stands, he was able to resolve the situation by himself without having to rely on any external authority (and surrendering his own control of the situation in the process). Freeeeeeeeeeeeeedommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    https://youtu.be/N8o-6i1UPUU

Mirage did alright considering the SUV it hit was worse off.
    That Uncle Mullet is a class act, a real inspiration. Thanks for sharing this Double D.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-16-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree with you Chad. Let's say this accident had to go to court to be settled. The judge is going to totally rule in this guy's favor. He did nothing to hurt his case. I would have involved the police, however. A police report may become part of an insurance claim, especially if you are hit by an un-insured or under-insured motorist.

The guy never lost focus on what's really important. No one was seriously hurt. Cars can be repair or replaced. This would make a good clip for a driver's education class discussion. There are so many good talking points. You should never leave an accident scene, because it could be a felony. How keeping your cool works in your favor. It's just a good example of what you shouldn't do & should do in this type of situation.

This guy earned my utmost respect, too!
    Well all I can say is this, from this unfortunate incident should ever I be involved in a collision I will adopt an attitude of calmness and kindness.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I have heard of other situations similar to the following, many times. But the following is a true story. My wife was involved in a minor door bender. This was a looooong time ago. The lady behind her wasn't paying attention, locked her brakes down, then swerved right to avoid my wife who was stopped for traffic / stop sign. It was wet out. Then the lady lost control and wound up rubbing her left front part of her bumper on my wife's right side door.

The lady then proceeded to roll down her window once she stopped and said, "oh, it's nothing, barely even a scratch. We should just go on right?" And started to drive away. My wife honked at her vigorously and got the lady to pull over. They got out and it was MORE THAN A SCRATCH. But the lady insisted, "we don't need the police, I'll just have my insurance company pay for the damage."

Guess what? Her insurance was expired and she gave false contact information. Guess who paid for the door repair? Guess who got away with it. Ole 7milesout paid, and la crusta got away with it. Because my wife trusted.

Nope, ole 7milesout won't ever play that game. I will call the cops EVERY TIME, and insist for a police report and insist the perpetrator be given guillotine! You flip a cigarette out of your car = GUILLOTINE! Don't use your blinker = GUILLOTINE! Exceed the speed limit by 1 mph = GUILLOTINE! Run your A/C with your windows down = GUILLOTINE!

I can't wait until I'm president (of any country). I'm going to bring back the phrase, "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!"

P.S. - If you don't agree with me on the above = GUILLOTINE! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (03-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    ...call the cops EVERY TIME, and insist for a police report...
    Yeah, I do the same...except the part about the guillotine

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I have heard of other situations similar to the following, many times. But the following is a true story. My wife was involved in a minor door bender. This was a looooong time ago. The lady behind her wasn't paying attention, locked her brakes down, then swerved right to avoid my wife who was stopped for traffic / stop sign. It was wet out. Then the lady lost control and wound up rubbing her left front part of her bumper on my wife's right side door.

The lady then proceeded to roll down her window once she stopped and said, "oh, it's nothing, barely even a scratch. We should just go on right?" And started to drive away. My wife honked at her vigorously and got the lady to pull over. They got out and it was MORE THAN A SCRATCH. But the lady insisted, "we don't need the police, I'll just have my insurance company pay for the damage."

Guess what? Her insurance was expired and she gave false contact information. Guess who paid for the door repair? Guess who got away with it. Ole 7milesout paid, and la crusta got away with it. Because my wife trusted.

Nope, ole 7milesout won't ever play that game. I will call the cops EVERY TIME, and insist for a police report and insist the perpetrator be given guillotine! You flip a cigarette out of your car = GUILLOTINE! Don't use your blinker = GUILLOTINE! Exceed the speed limit by 1 mph = GUILLOTINE! Run your A/C with your windows down = GUILLOTINE!

I can't wait until I'm president (of any country). I'm going to bring back the phrase, "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!"

P.S. - If you don't agree with me on the above = GUILLOTINE! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!
    Sad thing is the cops don't even come to accident scenes out here unless cars are immobile and blocking traffic. The one accident at work we had earlier this winter involved a guy in a new mercedes suv who made a left turn in front of a Mirage that was driving through a green light. The guy at fault said he forgot his license at home and hopped into a passing cab. Left it running with the eys in it! Seemed legit.......

Cops were called and entire story was explained they never came. Said they might come by in a few hours otherwise just go to the police station and file a report there. The other driver ended up coming back 40 mins later as I was ransacking his suv looking for his paperwork lol
    He did provide is info but said nothing about him being at fault. That was back in December I believe. It still hasn't been dealt with to this day! Had a cop showed up at the scene I assume things would have progressed a little quicker and the other driver would have at least gotten a leaving the scene of an accident and failure to provide license fines. And could have been questioned at the scene, maybe ask nearby businesses for security camera footage of the accident.....Now it's gonna be a guy who'll likely need a translator against our drivers word.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Last accident I was in (my RAM decided to live up to its name, and disintegrated an Altima), I left the Ram in the middle of the road. Never moved it. Even though the victim suggested I move it ... I did not. Traffic be damned. Cops came fairly quickly though. Where I live, there's not a whole lot going on, so they show up. I moved it when the cops told me to.

I was taught to not move it, so I won't. But now that I use a dash cam, maybe ongoing I will move it as the video will provide all the evidence.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Last accident I was in (my RAM decided to live up to its name, and disintegrated an Altima), I left the Ram in the middle of the road. Never moved it. Even though the victim suggested I move it ... I did not. Traffic be damned. Cops came fairly quickly though. Where I live, there's not a whole lot going on, so they show up. I moved it when the cops told me to.

I was taught to not move it, so I won't. But now that I use a dash cam, maybe ongoing I will move it as the video will provide all the evidence.
    I was rear ended once in 2013, & the police were involved. A Chevy Tahoe rear ended my 2000 Honda CR-V. It shoved my vehicle into the Ford F-150 ahead of me. The F-150 didn't receive much damage, but both of our SUVs were totaled. We both had liability insurance. I received $5,900 for my 13 year old CR-V from his insurance company, and his Tahoe went to a salvage yard (whatever they paid him for that). He also received a citation/ticket for inattentive driving a few days later. The guy who hit was my best friend at work. We didn't lose our friendship over it, & it's why I purchased my 2011 Forester in 2013.

One of my daughters had a fender bender making a left hand turn at traffic lights her senior year of high school. She also received a citation/ticket a few days later in the mail. Since the car she was driving only had liability insurance, we paid to have parts from a salvage yard used to make it presentable again. Our liability insurance took care of the other person's minor damage.

In Wisconsin, the young lady who rear ended the guy in the original video clip would most likely receive a ticket even if she stopped on her own. She was apparently being inattentive or driving too fast for conditions. I think the guy handled the situation well, but he also knew he was recording everything, too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    the victim in the video sets a fine example of restraint and compassion.
    That, sir, is one heck of an understatement!

Watching that video just now, I was gobsmacked at how calm and de-escalatory (is that a word?) he was.

I watch a CRAP TON of dashcam/crash compliations (yeah, ex driving instructor) and I've NEVER seen a post-crash chase end like that.

I'm asking myself, half joking: what's he on? I wants some! Beta blockers?

How did you stumble on that vid? Have you watched his channel before? I've never heard of him, but I think I just found my calmness guru?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That, sir, is one heck of an understatement!

Watching that video just now, I was gobsmacked at how calm and de-escalatory (is that a word?) he was.

I watch a CRAP TON of dashcam/crash compliations (yeah, ex driving instructor) and I've NEVER seen a post-crash chase end like that.

I'm asking myself, half joking: what's he on? I wants some! Beta blockers?

How did you stumble on that vid? Have you watched his channel before? I've never heard of him, but I think I just found my calmness guru?
    Just searching thru youtube vids about the Mirage. I don't know his channel but it wouldn't surprise if he's religious and believes in being a good Samaritan.