Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gray Mirage, hit and run. Vid.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Gray Mirage, hit and run. Vid.

https://youtu.be/N8o-6i1UPUU

Mirage did alright considering the SUV it hit was worse off.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-16-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    https://youtu.be/N8o-6i1UPUU

Mirage did alright considering the SUV it hit was worse off.
    That is one calm fellow. I've had similar twice, once in London 1986 the other in Harrogate. The London incident I know as I just bought a new Cavalier, the driver would not open his window, the lights changed to green so I punched and kicked his door wrecking it, can't remember what year in Harrogate but post '93 a VW Golf nearly ran me off the road, caught up with him at some lights but he just told me to F@CK OFF, he then lost his door mirror from a right hander. In England most are not as calm as this guy.
    What a chap, a pat on the back to him.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

4. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Too calm. He thanked her for pulling over after he had to chase her down. And told her that she didn't want a felony ... well SHE HAD COMMITTED A FELONY ALREADY. And then he was going to just exchange information? Preposterous! The cops must be called in an instance such as that. And a report filled out.

And I would be INSISTING that she be charged with hit and run, her driver's license and insurance checked (and charged if either are lacking), and charged for the accident.

I don't care that it's a female and young. When I was that age, there was no way in hell I would have drove away from an accident like that. But I also always had legit insurance and a legit driver's license. I never had a car as nice or as new(ish) as that Mirage either.

I suspect she wasn't legally supposed to be driving and is why she fled. How the heck is someone like that going to learn unless they get PENALIZED? Paying fines and having a car towed off is a great way to penalize. Too many bleeding hearts these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Too calm. He thanked her for pulling over after he had to chase her down. And told her that she didn't want a felony ... well SHE HAD COMMITTED A FELONY ALREADY. And then he was going to just exchange information? Preposterous! The cops must be called in an instance such as that. And a report filled out.

And I would be INSISTING that she be charged with hit and run, her driver's license and insurance checked (and charged if either are lacking), and charged for the accident.

I don't care that it's a female and young. When I was that age, there was no way in hell I would have drove away from an accident like that. But I also always had legit insurance and a legit driver's license. I never had a car as nice or as new(ish) as that Mirage either.

I suspect she wasn't legally supposed to be driving and is why she fled. How the heck is someone like that going to learn unless they get PENALIZED? Paying fines and having a car towed off is a great way to penalize. Too many bleeding hearts these days.
    Whoa whoa whoa. The man could tell immediately that the teenager was freaking out hard, so he de-escalated the situation and showed compassion. I'm not a religious man but a lot of "anti-bleeding hearts" on here claim to be believers in Jesus and then do the exact opposite of his teachings. Not saying how you would of handled the situation makes you wrong, it doesn't at all. I'm saying the victim in the video sets a fine example of restraint and compassion.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

BecauseRaceCar (03-18-2021),Eggman (03-16-2021),itschad (03-15-2021),MetroMPG (03-16-2021),precisionxt (03-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    the victim in the video sets a fine example of restraint and compassion.
    Yes he does. But what's the perpetrator going to do, due to his restraint and compassion? Probably a whole lot of nothing, and may continue on down the roads bashing more victims until someone gets hurt. Spare the rod, spoil the child. Applicable to everyone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Yes he does. But what's the perpetrator going to do, due to his restraint and compassion? Probably a whole lot of nothing, and may continue on down the roads bashing more victims until someone gets hurt. Spare the rod, spoil the child. Applicable to everyone.
    Well in that example the teenage girl exchanged insurance info like she was supposed to and all was well. The samaritan observed the situation and made a choice to be compassionate. If he had gotten rear ended by a drunk adult who was combative, then yes get the cops involved, don't offer to help pull the front bumber off, etc. A perp like that doesn't deserve compassion. In this case however this guy did what we need more of in these polarized trying times, de-escalation, non-aggressive, compassionate response to a stressful situation if warranted (that's the key). That's all I'm saying. He should be commended for practicing what he preaches. On a different note, the Mirage front end wrecked that suv back end! I was shocked our little cars are tougher than what I thought!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I have the utmost respect for the chap, he could tell she was freaking out and displayed the utmost respect for her, when eventually stopped the young lady was approachable, as previously stated in the UK these situations soon turn ugly. My hat is doffed to that feller.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

11. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-15-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I have the utmost respect for the chap, he could tell she was freaking out and displayed the utmost respect for her, when eventually stopped the young lady was approachable, as previously stated in the UK these situations soon turn ugly. My hat is doffed to that feller.
    Same here. I'd like to think I'd have his resolve in defusing a situation such as this but I really won't know till it happens.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

itschad (03-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I agree with you Chad. Let's say this accident had to go to court to be settled. The judge is going to totally rule in this guy's favor. He did nothing to hurt his case. I would have involved the police, however. A police report may become part of an insurance claim, especially if you are hit by an un-insured or under-insured motorist.

The guy never lost focus on what's really important. No one was seriously hurt. Cars can be repair or replaced. This would make a good clip for a driver's education class discussion. There are so many good talking points. You should never leave an accident scene, because it could be a felony. How keeping your cool works in your favor. It's just a good example of what you shouldn't do & should do in this type of situation.

This guy earned my utmost respect, too!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-15-2021),itschad (03-16-2021)

I had a guy hit and run my car when it was parked. Had he came and said something it woulda cost him a couple hundred bucks, I woulda had him buy me a used door and call it a day. Instead he made sure nobody saw then bailed.

In the end the guy was charged with hit and run. I got a check from his insurance company for $3000, got a door from work for free and replaced it myself. I only paid $2000 for the car. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-15-2021)