Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Mirage: Severe Maintenance Schedule (@ 48,000KM) question

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    . Mirage takes 2 mins if you've never done it before.
    I have two halogen bulbs (less than $10 each) stashed next to my spare tires in my Mirage. When one goes out, a few minutes of my time is all it takes to be back on the road again.

If they spent a year as a mechanic before becoming a car engineer, it would surely help. Simple is better in most cases.

Doug DeMuro made fun of how much room there was in the engine bay of a Mirage, & that was really stupid on his part. It would be fun watching him change the headlight of a Fusion. My guess is the guy does very little work on cars.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-16-2021),Marc999 (03-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc999 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    It simply says a transmission 'flush' on the email quote. Could inquire further.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since then, I have received another quote from an independent mechanic.

$~200 Cdn for a drain & fill (1 hr. labor + 3 quarts fluids). I highly doubt that would include filters, but don't know.

Is a drain & fill good enough for a car with ~ 55,000 km?
    For the record, I don't own a CVT but sometimes it sure sounds nice. That being said, and this is just an opinion I say do a full flush & replace filters for the first 30,000 miles (48km), then again at 60,000 miles (96.5km) and alternate drain & fills with full flushes every 30,000 miles (48km) thereafter.

Here's why. A fluid drain & fill replenishes the fluid and whatever additives are consumed, which is nice but doesn't address any particulates that shed within the transmission. New stuff breaking in is where you're likely to see the most stuff floating around, clogging up various filters & screens within the transmission. The first two services that replace the full fluid & filters ought to get rid of most of that nasty grinding compound that'll mess up valve body passages. Maybe even consider doing a full flush earlier than 30,000 miles/50km? Of course you are past that but for anyone else who might pick up on this, there you have it.

On the other hand, some folks just drive it. I suppose it depends on how long you plan on keeping yours. What do you think?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    For the record, I don't own a CVT but sometimes it sure sounds nice. That being said, and this is just an opinion I say do a full flush & replace filters for the first 30,000 miles (48km), then again at 60,000 miles (96.5km) and alternate drain & fills with full flushes every 30,000 miles (48km) thereafter.

Here's why. A fluid drain & fill replenishes the fluid and whatever additives are consumed, which is nice but doesn't address any particulates that shed within the transmission. New stuff breaking in is where you're likely to see the most stuff floating around, clogging up various filters & screens within the transmission. The first two services that replace the full fluid & filters ought to get rid of most of that nasty grinding compound that'll mess up valve body passages. Maybe even consider doing a full flush earlier than 30,000 miles/50km? Of course you are past that but for anyone else who might pick up on this, there you have it.

On the other hand, some folks just drive it. I suppose it depends on how long you plan on keeping yours. What do you think?
    I agree with Eggman. If you plan on keeping your car a long time, do the extra service. If you are going to sell it long before it reaches 100,000 miles, it would probably be fine. That's probably how Mitsubishi looks at it, too! Once you are past their 10-year warranty/100,000 powertrain warranty, how much do you think they really care any more?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I hear what you're saying.
    I mean, it's her decision and likely plans on driving it for ~ 5 years, possibly longer. I just don't know.
    At the current rate of driving = ~ 217,500 KM @ 5 years.
    I wouldn't have issue driving it well into 300k KM, but again - her call.

@ ~ $120 Cdn. 'flush' premium to drain & fill x 5 years = ~ $600 Cdn. (Will be required yearly, based on mileage/year driven).
    You're right - could do it 1st couple, then alternate.
    Having said that - would the dealer truly do a 'flush'? No idea - based on their unscrupulous suggestions, for items that don't even exist on this Mirage, I'm not sure I'd believe much of anything they say/do.

-----------
    Boy am I glad I drive a car with a manual trans. Less maintenance.
    Last edited by Marc999; 03-17-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update: CVT transmission drain/fill & cvt filter replaced (external paper one) - Independent mechanic.
    ---------
    The Mitsub.dealer stated they don't change the filters during a transmission flush. (Nor did they recommend it).
    I mean, are they hoping the trans.fails at some point, or just not care, or think it's truly unnecessary?

@Mark I'll go buy a couple headlight bulbs, if they're really that easy to replace, I'm sure even I could do it.
    I replaced the cabin/engine filters recently, that was painless.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: CVT transmission drain/fill & cvt filter replaced (external paper one) - Independent mechanic.
    ---------
    The Mitsub.dealer stated they don't change the filters during a transmission flush. (Nor did they recommend it).
    I mean, are they hoping the trans.fails at some point, or just not care, or think it's truly unnecessary?
    There are many filters in the Jatco CVT found in the Mirage - most are in the valve body. Do you think it’s simply too labor intensive to service them all? Maybe that’s why most shops don’t bother? Something to think about. After all even your independent mechanic didn’t replace main internal filter, only the external one.

And don’t get me wrong - I’m not criticizing here. Any service is better than none.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What I mean is that the dealership didn't even suggest/offer to change that external filter, perhaps not important to them?
    Whereas - the consensus on this forum, is that it's a good idea.

Or, the dealer doesn't fuss over it until many more miles are on it. Who knows.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What I mean is that the dealership didn't even suggest/offer to change that external filter, perhaps not important to them?
    Whereas - the consensus on this forum, is that it's a good idea.

Or, the dealer doesn't fuss over it until many more miles are on it. Who knows.
    My guess is that they don't have many customers asking for CVT fluid service much less a full flush with filters.

So now that you've driven it some have you (or your spouse) noticed any difference in operation?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My guess is that they don't have many customers asking for CVT fluid service much less a full flush with filters.

So now that you've driven it some have you (or your spouse) noticed any difference in operation?
    She'll be driving it extensively on the highway this coming week.
    So, we'll see if there's any noticeable change.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Ok, update.
    According to my significant other, after a couple highway runs - she's actually noticed two things.
    1. It's quieter, no initial noises when starting the car that she was used to before. I'm not sure what noises, but they are gone.
    2. It's smoother to accelerate, at both lower & higher speeds.

So, that's reassuring that there's been some noticeable improvement.
    At her rate of driving, we'll do it again in a year or so.

We'd also changed out the cabin and engine air filters - which, while a bit dirty - I can't believe contributed towards either a quieter, or smoother ride after the cvt fluid change, but who knows.
    >>>>>>
    EDIT: So, I called around to a different Mitsubishi dealer to inquire about the 2019 Mirage CVT external filter - I just wanted to get a price check. The parts guy said there is no cvt filter for this car.

Meanwhile, our mechanic changed the external cvt filter (upon my request) during the recent cvt transmission fluid change.

This leads me to believe either the Parts department guy doesn't know what he's talking about, or they simply don't change that external filter.

Do you guys know what the Part number is for that external cvt filter?

Last edited by Marc999; 04-01-2021 at 04:41 PM.