Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirage G4 is the slowest selling car in the U.S.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I agree Mitsubishi would be better suited with more dealers. But I'm certain this is a chicken/egg scenario. They likely won't increase the dealerships until sales increase. But how do you increase sales without dealerships?

I still maintain that the company needs to do some serious brand building. I really hope that with the upcoming Eclipse Cross, Outlander PHEV, and more importantly, the '22 Outlander that Mitsubishi gets the word out a bit more.

I do not anticipate any advertising on the Mirage as the profit margins are just too slim.
    I think Mitsubishi is counting on not that many car buyers knowing that the new 22 Outlander is really a Nissan Rogue with a Nissan powertrain. The word is out about Nissan and their CVT reliability in all their models, at least according to anecdotal evidence with comments sections on YouTube, Instagram, Reddit, and online publications. If someone were to google "Is a Nissan Altima or Versa reliable" they'd be hit with an slew of online postings of horror stories, massive class action lawsuits, etc. You don't read that much negativity in comparison, about Mitsubishi reliability worldwide.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Sedans sales have been slowing down.
    Small car sales have been slowing down.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Mitsubishi dropped the G4. It makes me wonder what the sales breakdown is regarding Mirage hatch vs. Mirage G4 is in the U.S.
    C'mon gas prices ticking up to $4 a gallon baby! Mirage sales will blow through the roof! And then....aftermarket parts start showing up at NAPA/Autozone, like drums that actually fit for example.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll take my $2 a gallon and happily buy parts online.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-15-2021)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I think Mitsubishi is counting on not that many car buyers knowing that the new 22 Outlander is really a Nissan Rogue with a Nissan powertrain. The word is out about Nissan and their CVT reliability in all their models, at least according to anecdotal evidence with comments sections on YouTube, Instagram, Reddit, and online publications. If someone were to google "Is a Nissan Altima or Versa reliable" they'd be hit with an slew of online postings of horror stories, massive class action lawsuits, etc. You don't read that much negativity in comparison, about Mitsubishi reliability worldwide.
    For as problematic as the CVT's reputations are from Nissan, they sell a megaton of them. I mean, Nissan sells like 300,000 Rogues a year! That's nearly 3x the amount of total cars Mitsubishi sells in the U.S.!

Even if gas prices do go higher and higher, cars—even bigger ones—get better mileage than they did back in in the mid-to-late 2000s. If Americans can get a bigger car with similar fuel economy as a smaller one, they'll do it. It's been proven time and time again.

This '21 Nissan Kicks I have in my driveway is rated at 31 city and 36 highway. The Mirage is 36 city, 43 highway. Unless you're a hypermiler, 4 MPG city isn't going to sway most people to buy a Mirage. Mirage's biggest selling feature is that it's inexpensive, has a lot of standard features, and is frugal—but mostly that it's inexpensive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (03-15-2021)

I agree, but....

Obviously-Rated mpg and real world can vary. I drove the wifes 15' 2.4l. optima rated at 35city/38hwy mpg I really struggled to get in the low 30's once otherwise it was high 20's every tank.
    My 14' Mirage(s) were rated at 37-44mpg my last tank in the black car (284,xxxkms) gave me 39mpg without doing anything different.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    For as problematic as the CVT's reputations are from Nissan, they sell a megaton of them. I mean, Nissan sells like 300,000 Rogues a year! That's nearly 3x the amount of total cars Mitsubishi sells in the U.S.!

Even if gas prices do go higher and higher, cars—even bigger ones—get better mileage than they did back in in the mid-to-late 2000s. If Americans can get a bigger car with similar fuel economy as a smaller one, they'll do it. It's been proven time and time again.

This '21 Nissan Kicks I have in my driveway is rated at 31 city and 36 highway. The Mirage is 36 city, 43 highway. Unless you're a hypermiler, 4 MPG city isn't going to sway most people to buy a Mirage. Mirage's biggest selling feature is that it's inexpensive, has a lot of standard features, and is frugal—but mostly that it's inexpensive.
    This is why I think Mitsubishi would have been better off doing a vehicle like the Kicks rather than the Eclipse Cross. A smaller Kicks offers a smaller more efficient package. Where's the difference below?

2020 Outlander Sport 2.0L (148 hp) 24 city/30 highway
    2020 Eclipse Cross 1.5L turbo (152 hp) 26 city/29 highway
    2020 Outlander 2.5L (166 hp) 25 city/30 highway

I used 2020 numbers, because some of the new model ratings aren't out yet. The Outlander is skipping 2021 with the 2022 Outlander.

I bought a Mirage because they were selling for under $10,000 OTD, offer a manual transmission option, seem reliable with great warranty, and my Mirage consistently gets 40-50 mpg no matter how hard I push it.

If I go by those points above, the Kicks loses on all counts. I doubt it's even close. Can you get above 40 mpg with a Kick?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This is why I think Mitsubishi would have been better off doing a vehicle like the Kicks rather than the Eclipse Cross. A smaller Kicks offers a smaller more efficient package. Where's the difference below?

2020 Outlander Sport 2.0L (148 hp) 24 city/30 highway
    2020 Eclipse Cross 1.5L turbo (152 hp) 26 city/29 highway
    2020 Outlander 2.5L (166 hp) 25 city/30 highway

I used 2020 numbers, because some of the new model ratings aren't out yet. The Outlander is skipping 2021 with the 2022 Outlander.

I bought a Mirage because they were selling for under $10,000 OTD, offer a manual transmission option, seem reliable with great warranty, and my Mirage consistently gets 40-50 mpg no matter how hard I push it.

If I go by those points above, the Kicks loses on all counts. I doubt it's even close. Can you get above 40 mpg with a Kick?
    The best MPG I've gotten in my OS/RVR/ASX is almost 36mpg / 6.534 L/100km and that's with the naturally aspirated 2.0 4B11. I think if I had a higher overdrive ratio in 5th or even better a 6th gear I could get close to 40mpg with the current engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It would be a little surprising if Mitsubishi Motors North America dropped the G4 since they don't have a lot of cars in their showrooms to begin with.

Now if only they would bring back the Lancer...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Imho theres no reason to ever choose the sedan over the hatch. It looks way worse and a much more down market car, less storage room. I just dont get why anyone would want it.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Imho theres no reason to ever choose the sedan over the hatch. It looks way worse and a much more down market car, less storage room. I just dont get why anyone would want it.
    We got both the G4 and the hatch. The visibility is better in the G4 IMO. The trunk space is generous, no push thru though. Rear passenger legroom is better than in the hatch, more space than an Altima actually. If you got a small family the G4 is a more sensible choice. When my wife and I roadtrip, we prefer the G4 honestly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (04-27-2021)