Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Do I Listen? (tried a Toyota Aygo automatic)

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Why Do I Listen? (tried a Toyota Aygo automatic)

Having a beer with a friend a few days back (social distancing observed) and the discussion soon turned to cars. He suggested that at my age (over 25. Oh yeah, and the rest ) maybe i should look at an automatic transmission.
    I controlled myself from giving him an unfortunate one across the chops and listened with a fair degree of enthusiasm.
    He drives a Toyota Aygo (pronounced i go, get it ?) with an auto box. I done my best from keeping my hands from throttling him and listened intently. Despite the beer, one bottle, he invited me to drive it.
    I was impressed, my eyes, it's wide very short and a true City car but according to write ups can tend to be noisy on the motorway (then so was the wife but I tolerated that) Now I've got a stiffy for one of these. It is so small you drive around town and can pick it up and put it in yer back pocket .
    Do they have them on the American continent?

Name:  toyota-aygo-front-white-parked-lead-1.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  32.8 KB

Last edited by itschad; 03-19-2021 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Error Correction
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-19-2021),dspace9 (03-19-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We do not have the Aygo, in Canada anyway. Probably not in the States either.

I think it's awesome that you drive manuals. I know all of 1 guy at work with a stick shift besides me, and that's a 2012 Camaro with a short shift. That's it, all the rest of the cars at my job are automatics. Says a lot. That's how it is here. Automatics, all the trucks and even many so called "sports" cars are autos. It's a North American thing. Lazy'boy'ing everything for convenience. I have been to Europe a few times and it's a different culture in this regard.

Glad you are able to see past this cheers Chad

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

itschad (03-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Having a beer with a friend a few days back (social distancing observed) and the discussion soon turned to cars. He suggested that at my age (over 25. Oh yeah, and the rest ) maybe i should look at an automatic transmission.

Do they have them on the American continent?
    We not only don't have the Aygo, but Toyota has pulled the plug on their other small cars here. Yaris & Prius c are now history.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (03-19-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I got a feeling the subcompact is going to make a comeback in the US, albeit a small one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They made a GR version of the Aygo?! That's so damn cool.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I got a feeling the subcompact is going to make a comeback in the US, albeit a small one.
    As someone who's written about small cars since 2008, I'd really like to agree with you, but I don't think we'll see a bump in small car models for a long time in this country. Why would we? All signs point to "not likely" anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see a return to more small car offerings.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    We do not have the Aygo, in Canada anyway. Probably not in the States either.

I think it's awesome that you drive manuals. I know all of 1 guy at work with a stick shift besides me, and that's a 2012 Camaro with a short shift. That's it, all the rest of the cars at my job are automatics. Says a lot. That's how it is here. Automatics, all the trucks and even many so called "sports" cars are autos. It's a North American thing. Lazy'boy'ing everything for convenience. I have been to Europe a few times and it's a different culture in this regard.

Glad you are able to see past this cheers Chad
    I certainly cannot conceive that an automatic gearbox can be perceived as sporting, it goes against the grain. However, I'm not the sporting type and never have been. When younger just a chariot to transport the kids and old woman from here to there.
    However, being a senior citizen (an old fart) maybe, just maybe, I'm exploring an automatic, though still the thought abhors me. To me it's the Devil's incarnation. My daughter-in-law has an auto Honda Jazz (believe it's called the Fit over there, Fit? I thought young girls were considered fit, but I've never driven it. The Jazz/Fit is considered as a Blue Rinse Brigade vehicle.
    Ain't life funny?

Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I certainly cannot conceive that an automatic gearbox can be perceived as sporting, it goes against the grain. However, I'm not the sporting type and never have been. When younger just a chariot to transport the kids and old woman from here to there.
    However, being a senior citizen (an old fart) maybe, just maybe, I'm exploring an automatic, though still the thought abhors me. To me it's the Devil's incarnation. My daughter-in-law has an auto Honda Jazz (believe it's called the Fit over there, Fit? I thought young girls were considered fit, but I've never driven it. The Jazz/Fit is considered as a Blue Rinse Brigade vehicle.
    Ain't life funny?
    Don't resist! Automatics aren't all bad, you don't have to grab a knob to shift gears all the time.

Attachment 20823

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-19-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We not only don't have the Aygo, but Toyota has pulled the plug on their other small cars here. Yaris & Prius c are now history.
    Shame that, I actually liked the Yaris. Years ago most Nippon cars dated very quickly but today seems fine.
    I used to teach people to drive in a Nissan Sunny, reliable as a Sunday in a week but tended to rust if ever you sneezed on it, Lord only knows what would have happened if you had a leak (urinate) over it.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Don't resist! Automatics aren't all bad, you don't have to grab a knob to shift gears all the time.

Attachment 20823
    Eek, who is this devil incarnate? He just cannot be taken seriously. The boy is investigating.